Обсуждение: Re: Question on pgwatch

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:10 PM Bikram MAJUMDAR
<Bikram.Majumdar@aqsacom.com> wrote:
> From where did you download docker for linux,  and , the docker with the pgwatch container?
> And, any installation/configuration tips for pgwatch running on linux?

I'm not sure what you are effectively askin to me, however the
starting point for bth projects are the related web sites:
- docker <https://www.docker.com/>
- pgwatch <https://pgwatch.com/> and here you can find detailed
instruction from dowloading to run it
<https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pgwatch2>

Luca

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR
Дата:
Hi Luca,

I have installed docker  (yum install ) on my linux server.  Does it already come with the pgwatch public image?  How
doI download and install pgwatch docker image from github -- <https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pgwatch2>

Thanks and regards
Bikram Majumdar
Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER
PRIVILEGEDCOMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b)
intendedonly for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for
deliveringthis to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited.If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps
necessaryto delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail
arethose of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage
causedby any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> And, any installation/configuration tips for pgwatch running on linux?

I'm not sure what you are effectively askin to me, however the starting point for bth projects are the related web
sites:
- docker <https://www.docker.com/>
- pgwatch <https://pgwatch.com/> and here you can find detailed instruction from dowloading to run it
<https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pgwatch2>

Luca

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR

Hi Luca,

When I go to the URL link for pgwatch that you have given I see the following :  How do I get to pgwatch docker download and install on my linux server?

Bikram Majumdar

Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.

c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for delivering this to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> And, any installation/configuration tips for pgwatch running on linux?

I'm not sure what you are effectively askin to me, however the starting point for bth projects are the related web sites:

- docker <https://www.docker.com/>

- pgwatch <https://pgwatch.com/> and here you can find detailed instruction from dowloading to run it <https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pgwatch2>

Luca

Вложения

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:57 PM Bikram MAJUMDAR
<Bikram.Majumdar@aqsacom.com> wrote:
> When I go to the URL link for pgwatch that you have given I see the following :  How do I get to pgwatch docker
downloadand install on my linux server?

I don't want to be harsh, but you should start doing your homework and
report about problems.
Since I'm not a pgwatch user, as already stated, I believe that you
should get the image with the following:

docker pull cybertec/pgwatch2

as reported here <https://hub.docker.com/r/cybertec/pgwatch2>.

Luca

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR
Дата:
Hi,
Need help from anyone in the team who has worked on pgwatch2.

Yesterday we installed  pgwatch2 docker image and started the container.
We are running the pgwatch2 container from the database server itself -
Now we want to add our databases for monitoring using the admin interface:
We are opening the pgwatch2 admin interface at <host IP>:8080/dbs.But, when we try to add the database (cemtore) in the
admininterface we get the following error:

Could not connect to specified host (ignore if gatherer daemon runs on another host): FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for
host"172.17.0.2", user "cemtore", database "cemtore", SSL off

Any idea what we are doing wrong?

We would now like to add the database manually following notes below:
Usage
by default the pgwatch2 configuration database running inside Docker is being monitored so that you can immediately see
somegraphs, but you should add new databases by opening the admin interface at 127.0.0.1:8080/dbs or logging into the
Postgresconfig DB and inserting into pgwatch2.monitored_db table (db - pgwatch2 , default user/pw -
pgwatch2/pgwatch2admin)

But, my question is, how do I run the psql on my  database server to login to this default pgwatch2 configuration DB?

Bikram Majumdar
Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER
PRIVILEGEDCOMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b)
intendedonly for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for
deliveringthis to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited.If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps
necessaryto delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail
arethose of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage
causedby any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> And, any installation/configuration tips for pgwatch running on linux?

I'm not sure what you are effectively askin to me, however the starting point for bth projects are the related web
sites:
- docker <https://www.docker.com/>
- pgwatch <https://pgwatch.com/> and here you can find detailed instruction from dowloading to run it
<https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/pgwatch2>

Luca

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
"Georg H."
Дата:
Hello Bikram,

Am 22.08.2019 um 23:50 schrieb Bikram MAJUMDAR:
> Hi,
> Need help from anyone in the team who has worked on pgwatch2.
>
> Yesterday we installed  pgwatch2 docker image and started the container.
> We are running the pgwatch2 container from the database server itself -
> Now we want to add our databases for monitoring using the admin interface:
> We are opening the pgwatch2 admin interface at <host IP>:8080/dbs.But, when we try to add the database (cemtore) in
theadmin interface we get the following error:

> Could not connect to specified host (ignore if gatherer daemon runs on another host): FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for
host"172.17.0.2", user "cemtore", database "cemtore", SSL off

> Any idea what we are doing wrong?
>
> We would now like to add the database manually following notes below:
> Usage
> by default the pgwatch2 configuration database running inside Docker is being monitored so that you can immediately
seesome graphs, but you should add new databases by opening the admin interface at 127.0.0.1:8080/dbs or logging into
thePostgres config DB and inserting into pgwatch2.monitored_db table (db - pgwatch2 , default user/pw -
pgwatch2/pgwatch2admin)

> But, my question is, how do I run the psql on my  database server to login to this default pgwatch2 configuration
DB?

> Bikram Majumdar
> Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
> c. 1.972.365.3737

As the message states (FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host
"172.17.0.2", user "cemtore", database "cemtore", SSL off) you have to
edit pg_hba.conf of the PostgreSQL Cluster hosting the cemtore database

to allow connections from pgwatch to it as your current config doesn't
allow that. Also you may need the connecting user within your database
with the required rights (if not added yet).

regards

Georg

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram Majumdar
Дата:
Hi George,

So nice for your response.

Thanks. But, my question is how does it get the IP address 172.17.0.2 ?

And, how does one run psql command to connect/login to the test database ( pgwatch configuration database)  to add any database ?

Thanks and regards,
Bikram

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 2:00 AM Georg H. <georg-h@silentrunner.de> wrote:
Hello Bikram,

Am 22.08.2019 um 23:50 schrieb Bikram MAJUMDAR:
> Hi,
> Need help from anyone in the team who has worked on pgwatch2.
>
> Yesterday we installed  pgwatch2 docker image and started the container.
> We are running the pgwatch2 container from the database server itself -
> Now we want to add our databases for monitoring using the admin interface:
> We are opening the pgwatch2 admin interface at <host IP>:8080/dbs.But, when we try to add the database (cemtore) in the admin interface we get the following error:
>
> Could not connect to specified host (ignore if gatherer daemon runs on another host): FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "172.17.0.2", user "cemtore", database "cemtore", SSL off
>
> Any idea what we are doing wrong?
>
> We would now like to add the database manually following notes below:
> Usage
> by default the pgwatch2 configuration database running inside Docker is being monitored so that you can immediately see some graphs, but you should add new databases by opening the admin interface at 127.0.0.1:8080/dbs or logging into the Postgres config DB and inserting into pgwatch2.monitored_db table (db - pgwatch2 , default user/pw - pgwatch2/pgwatch2admin)
>
> But, my question is, how do I run the psql on my  database server to login to this default pgwatch2 configuration DB?
>
> Bikram Majumdar
> Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
> c. 1.972.365.3737

As the message states (FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host
"172.17.0.2", user "cemtore", database "cemtore", SSL off) you have to
edit pg_hba.conf of the PostgreSQL Cluster hosting the cemtore database

to allow connections from pgwatch to it as your current config doesn't
allow that. Also you may need the connecting user within your database
with the required rights (if not added yet).

regards

Georg

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
"Georg H."

Hi Bikram,

Am 23.08.2019 um 22:10 schrieb Bikram Majumdar:
Hi George,

So nice for your response.

Thanks. But, my question is how does it get the IP address 172.17.0.2 ?

And, how does one run psql command to connect/login to the test database ( pgwatch configuration database)  to add any database ?

Thanks and regards,
Bikram

the pgwatch2 configuration database resides within the docker container when using the docker variant.

Whether you've exposed this port on container creation/start or you have to go into the docker image (docker exec -it IMAGENAME /bin/bash) and connect there with psql (pg_hba.conf should be in /etc/postgresql/[version]/main or similiar).

regards

Georg

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram Majumdar
Дата:
Hi George,

Thanks for your all your quick help -  I was able to login to the configuration database  (docker exec -it <container ID> /bin/bash).

I have some questions if you can help me in my understanding how one should configure a database for monitoring.

I was with the idea that, to configure our database for monitoring, we just need to add it in the admin interface.  And, the admin interface will run the required psql scripts in our database to create the required objects to collect the metrices.
As I indicated in an earlier email, I was able to add our database (database name - cemtore)  in the admin interface  by adding the IP 172.17.0.2 in the pg_hba.conf of our postgres' database.   Our database name is cemtore and we selected  full monitoring for it in the admin interface (see below under admin_interface)

=====admin_interface==========
image.png
I can see my database cemtore  both  in the pgwatch2 dashboard, and in the configuration database of the pgwatch2 container (see below - 2nd screen shot - query output from the configuration database of the container), but, I am getting some errors in the pgwatch2 log of the admin interface ( see under pgwatch2 log).  And the dashboard also does not show system stats - system load,CPU utilization etc for the database cemtore (see under cemtore dashboard)

  What else do we have to do extra to monitor our database after adding it in the  pgwatch2 admin interface.
  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

image.png

==== query output ==========
image.png

===pgwatch2 log=====
2019/08/27 11:15:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:stat_ssl]: pq: function get_stat_activity() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:15:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:stat_ssl]: 2794
2019/08/27 11:15:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:cpu_load]: pq: function get_load_average() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:15:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:cpu_load]: 5587
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:psutil_disk_io_total]: pq: function get_psutil_disk_io_total() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:psutil_disk_io_total]: 2795
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:psutil_disk]: pq: function get_psutil_disk() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:psutil_disk]: 2795
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:psutil_cpu]: pq: function get_psutil_cpu() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:psutil_cpu]: 2795
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:psutil_mem]: pq: function get_psutil_mem() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:17:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:psutil_mem]: 2795
2019/08/27 11:18:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:backends]: pq: function get_stat_activity() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:18:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:backends]: 5590
2019/08/27 11:19:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:kpi]: pq: function get_stat_activity() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:19:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:kpi]: 2796
2019/08/27 11:19:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:wal_size]: pq: function get_wal_size() does not exist
2019/08/27 11:19:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:wal_size]: 2796
2019/08/27 11:20:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Failed to fetch metric data for [cemtore:stat_statements_calls]: pq: relation "pg_stat_statements" does not exist
2019/08/27 11:20:46 ERRO MetricGathererLoop: Total failed fetches for [cemtore:stat_statements_calls]: 5592

=============cemtore dashboard ==============
image.png

Thanks and regards,
Bikram