Обсуждение: s/rewinded/rewound/?

s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
Hello,

The word "rewinded" appears in our manual and in a comment.  That
sounds strange to my ears.  Isn't it a mistake?  Oxford lists the form
as "poetic" and "rare", and then says it was used by one specific
Victorian poet.  Perhaps I'll send them a pull request: it's now G. M.
Hopkins and PostgreSQL?  Or maybe it's in common usage in another part
of the world?

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Magnus Hagander

The word "rewinded" appears in our manual and in a comment.  That
sounds strange to my ears.  Isn't it a mistake?  Oxford lists the form
as "poetic" and "rare", and then says it was used by one specific
Victorian poet.  Perhaps I'll send them a pull request: it's now G. M.
Hopkins and PostgreSQL?  Or maybe it's in common usage in another part
of the world?

To me this sounds like a classic non-English-native-speaker-mistake.  But it seems at least the one in the docs come from Bruce, who definitely is... So perhaps it's intentional to refer to "what pg_rewind does", and not necessarily to the regular word for it?

--

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:53:45AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> To me this sounds like a classic non-English-native-speaker-mistake.  But
> it seems at least the one in the docs come from Bruce, who definitely is...
> So perhaps it's intentional to refer to "what pg_rewind does", and not
> necessarily to the regular word for it?

I am not sure :)
"rewound" sounds much more natural.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Liudmila Mantrova
Дата:
On 8/7/19 12:00 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:53:45AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> To me this sounds like a classic non-English-native-speaker-mistake.  But
>> it seems at least the one in the docs come from Bruce, who definitely is...
>> So perhaps it's intentional to refer to "what pg_rewind does", and not
>> necessarily to the regular word for it?
> I am not sure :)
> "rewound" sounds much more natural.
> --
> Michael

+1 for rewound from a non-English-native-speaker. The use of "rewound"
in the same file also supports Michael's view.

If we decide to fix this, we should probably revise and back-patch the
whole paragraph where it appears as it seems to mix up scanning target
cluster
WALs and applying source cluster WALs. A small patch is attached for
your consideration (originally proposed on pgsql-docs [1]).

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ad6ac5bb-6689-ddb0-dc60-c5fc197d728e%40postgrespro.ru

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com

Вложения

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Chapman Flack
Дата:
On 08/07/19 04:48, Thomas Munro wrote:

> as "poetic" and "rare", and then says it was used by one specific
> Victorian poet.  Perhaps I'll send them a pull request: it's now G. M.
> Hopkins and PostgreSQL?

It does seem counter, original, spare, strange.

Regards,
-Chap

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

Дата:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The word "rewinded" appears in our manual and in a comment.  That
>> sounds strange to my ears.  Isn't it a mistake?

Certainly.

> To me this sounds like a classic non-English-native-speaker-mistake.  But
> it seems at least the one in the docs come from Bruce, who definitely is...

He might've just been committing somebody else's words without having
reviewed carefully.

            regards, tom lane

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Aug-07, Tom Lane wrote:

> > To me this sounds like a classic non-English-native-speaker-mistake.  But
> > it seems at least the one in the docs come from Bruce, who definitely is...
>
> He might've just been committing somebody else's words without having
> reviewed carefully.

The commit message for 878bd9accb55 doesn't mention that.  He didn't
add a mailing list reference, but this is easy to find at
https://postgr.es/m/20160720180706.GF24559@momjian.us
I lean towards the view that he was using the literal program name as a
verb, rather than trying to decline a verb normally.  Note that the word
"rewound" did not appear in that SGML source when he committed that;
that was only introduced in bfc80683ce51 three years later.

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Geoff Winkless
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 16:59, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> He didn't
> add a mailing list reference, but this is easy to find at
> https://postgr.es/m/20160720180706.GF24559@momjian.us
> I lean towards the view that he was using the literal program name as a
> verb, rather than trying to decline a verb normally.

I go with that, although I think it's confusing to not use the full
app name. If I were discussing a block of data that had been passed to
a "rewind" function, I might well put "this data has been rewind()ed"
(or just rewinded). But if I were discussing the concept itself, I
would say rewound.

eg In the example given, I would accept "and then
<application>pg_rewind</application>ed to become a standby".

Although I would probably have reworded it to use "and then
<application>pg_rewind</application> run again to set it to standby"
or something similar, because the "ed" form really does look odd in
documentation.

I don't think using "rewound" instead is explicit enough in this instance.

But that's just me. Feel free to ignore.

Geoff

Re: s/rewinded/rewound/?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:48:29PM +0300, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
> If we decide to fix this, we should probably revise and back-patch the whole
> paragraph where it appears as it seems to mix up scanning target cluster
> WALs and applying source cluster WALs. A small patch is attached for your
> consideration (originally proposed on pgsql-docs [1]).

Okay, I can see the confusion, and your proposed rewording looks fine
to me.  Any objections?
--
Michael

Вложения