Обсуждение: Time range

Time range

От
Donald Shtjefni
Дата:
Hi,

I was wondering why there is not a type Range of time without time zone, I think it may be useful for someone, Is good if i do PR.

Sorry if I've worte in the wrong place

Re: Time range

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 08:35:31AM +0200, Donald Shtjefni wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering why there is not a type Range of time without time zone, I
>think it may be useful for someone, Is good if i do PR.
>
>Sorry if I've worte in the wrong place

Doesn't tsrange already do that? That's a timestamp without timezone range
type.

regards

Re: Time range

От
Thomas Kellerer

Donald Shtjefni schrieb am 31.05.2019 um 13:35:
> I was wondering why there is not a type Range of time without time zone, I think it may be useful for someone, Is
goodif i do PR.

you can easily create one:

   create type timerange as range (subtype = time);

Thomas

Re: Time range

От
Isaac Morland
Дата:
timetzrange is also missing. In my database I have:

CREATE TYPE timerange AS RANGE (SUBTYPE = time);
COMMENT ON TYPE timerange IS 'range of times without time zone';
GRANT USAGE ON TYPE timerange TO PUBLIC;

CREATE TYPE timetzrange AS RANGE (SUBTYPE = timetz);
COMMENT ON TYPE timetzrange IS 'range of times with time zone';
GRANT USAGE ON TYPE timetzrange TO PUBLIC;

The intent is that these range types are the same as if they were built in. I don't believe I have ever used timetzrange but I did it for completeness.

Given that other built-in types have built-in range types, I think that the time and timetz types should also have built-in range types.

On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 11:40, Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:

Donald Shtjefni schrieb am 31.05.2019 um 13:35:
> I was wondering why there is not a type Range of time without time zone, I think it may be useful for someone, Is good if i do PR.

you can easily create one:

   create type timerange as range (subtype = time);

Thomas

Re: Time range

Дата:
Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com> writes:
> Given that other built-in types have built-in range types, I think that the
> time and timetz types should also have built-in range types.

There's only a very small number of built-in range types:

postgres=# select typname from pg_type where typtype = 'r' order by 1;
  typname
-----------
 daterange
 int4range
 int8range
 numrange
 tsrange
 tstzrange
(6 rows)

I don't think there's any appetite for creating built-in range types
across-the-board.  The time and timetz types are pretty little used
(with good reason), so leaving them out of this list seems fine to me.

            regards, tom lane