Обсуждение: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

От
James Tomson
Дата:
Hello,

We're upgrading from postgresql 9.6 to 10.6 and everything is working fine, but any query against pg_stat_activity
resultsin ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408

e.g:

ourdb=> SELECT pid, state, age(query_start, clock_timestamp()), usename, query FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE query !=
'<IDLE>'AND state != 'idle' ORDER BY age limit 100;
ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408

Maybe this has to do with us setting track_activity_query_size=102400? Is there a known safe maximum for that, or could
therebe some other problem?

Thanks,
James

Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
Em seg, 6 de mai de 2019 às 20:04, James Tomson <james@pushd.com> escreveu:

> ourdb=> SELECT pid, state, age(query_start, clock_timestamp()), usename, query FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE query !=
'<IDLE>'AND state != 'idle' ORDER BY age limit 100;
> ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408

That is because it is limited to 1GB - 1.

> Maybe this has to do with us setting track_activity_query_size=102400? Is there a known safe maximum for that, or
couldthere be some other problem?

Question is: why do you want to return such a big query text? That's
impractical for admin/monitoring tools. We can usually identify a
query with 1024 bytes (that is the default).

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-May-07, Euler Taveira wrote:

> Em seg, 6 de mai de 2019 às 20:04, James Tomson <james@pushd.com> escreveu:
> >
> > ourdb=> SELECT pid, state, age(query_start, clock_timestamp()), usename, query FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE query !=
'<IDLE>'AND state != 'idle' ORDER BY age limit 100;

> > ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408
> >
> That is because it is limited to 1GB - 1.
>
> > Maybe this has to do with us setting track_activity_query_size=102400? Is there a known safe maximum for that, or
couldthere be some other problem?

> Question is: why do you want to return such a big query text? That's
> impractical for admin/monitoring tools. We can usually identify a
> query with 1024 bytes (that is the default).

Hmm, but 102400 is only 100kB, nowhere near the 1GB-1 limit, so there's
something odd going on there.

I would start investigating by attaching a debugger and setting a
breakpoint on 'errfinish', then running the above query; past the
backtrace here, as it might be illuminating.

Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

Дата:
James Tomson <james@pushd.com> writes:
> We're upgrading from postgresql 9.6 to 10.6 and everything is working fine, but any query against pg_stat_activity
resultsin ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408

> e.g:

> ourdb=> SELECT pid, state, age(query_start, clock_timestamp()), usename, query FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE query !=
'<IDLE>'AND state != 'idle' ORDER BY age limit 100;
> ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1652113408

That seems odd ...

> Maybe this has to do with us setting track_activity_query_size=102400?

It wouldn't surprise me if reading pg_stat_activity causes allocation of
track_activity_query_size * max_connections bytes, but unless you also
have max_connections set to some pretty insane value, that wouldn't
be enough to fit this observation.

Did you have these parameters set differently in 9.6?

            regards, tom lane

Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

Дата:
> Hmm, but 102400 is only 100kB, nowhere near the 1GB-1 limit, so there's
> something odd going on there.

I can reproduce the described behavior by also setting max_connections
to something around 16K.

Now, it seems pretty silly to me to be burning in excess of 1GB of shmem
just for the current-query strings, and then that much again in every
backend that reads pg_stat_activity.  But should we be telling people they
can't do it?  I'm working on a patch to use MemoryContextAllocHuge for
the "localactivity" buffer in pgstat_read_current_status.  It might seem
dumb now, but perhaps in ten years it'll be common.

            regards, tom lane

Re: invalid memory alloc request size from pg_stat_activity?

От
James Tomson
Дата:
Thanks all - we did have our max_connections set very very high (100k) as we upgraded this db in a load test
environment,and did not want to reboot the db after hitting the lower, saner, production limits during load testing.

I am surprised this allocation was taking place for unused connections - I’ve also verified that lowering
max_connectionsto 10K on this instance fixed the issue for us. Much appreciated!

Best,
James