Обсуждение: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

От
SAMMY CRISWELL

Good morning,

I am preparing to upgrade my pqsl server from 9.3.5 to 9.6.12. I have installed the 9.6 rpm onto the server that has 9.3.5 running. Postgres is still running 9.3.5 on that server, but when I try to run psql I get the following message.

“psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?”

The database is still running and working I just can’t use any of the client commands like psql, pg_dump….

And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

Can someone help with this problem.

Sam Criswell | Senior Systems Engineer I

Infrastructure Engineering
Intelligence, Information and Services (IIS)

CityLine Phone: +1 972.664.8870
Raytheon Company

1737 East Cityline Drive | Richardson, TX 75082 USA

Upcoming PTO:

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

От
rammohan ganapavarapu
Дата:
Are you using -h localhost to connect? you can do lsof -p {pg pid} to see where is Unix socket directory pointing to, also check postgresql.conf file to check if Unix socket location is non default value.

[...]

Pierre Ochsenbein
Дата:
Hi Rammohan

Please check the error in postgresql log file.

--
Cordialement,

Pierre Ochsenbein
Mobile: +33668295394

RE: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

От
ALEXANDER JOSE
Дата:
Hi, Check if in the environment variables you have defined the route
export PGPORT = 5432
  export PGHOST = / var / run / postgresql / .s.PGSQL.5432.

Let me know if you can solve it.
Alexander Angel
DBA Postgresql

[...]

Дата:
SAMMY CRISWELL <Sammy_R_Criswell@raytheon.com> writes:
> I am preparing to upgrade my pqsl server from 9.3.5 to 9.6.12. I have installed the 9.6 rpm onto the server that has
9.3.5running. Postgres is still running 9.3.5 on that server, but when I try to run psql I get the following message.

> "psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?"
> The database is still running and working I just can't use any of the client commands like psql, pg_dump....
> And there is no "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" file.

What you've probably run into here is that some packagers build Postgres
to put the server's socket file into /tmp, while others build it to put
the socket into /var/run/postgresql/ or some similar path.  Likely,
you are now using a new version of libpq.so that expects the latter
while your server is still doing the former.  You can override libpq's
default with "-h /tmp" or equivalent in order to connect.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

От
robert

when you install PostgreSQL the installation copies all its binaries to their respective places and tries to start the server  afterwards.

This of course fails as the needed ports are already used by the running old PostgreSQL server.

So you end up with a mixture of new and old.

No idea whether it will be enough to stop the running PostgreSQL and the just restart the PostgreSQL service ..

robert

On 02.05.19 17:50, SAMMY CRISWELL wrote:

[...]

Robert Rottermann CEO

031 333 10 20
robert@redo2oo.ch
Sickingerstrasse 3, 3014 Bern

https://Redo2oo.ch
Ihr Partner wenn es um ERP Lösungen geht.

Re: Psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

От
Ron
Дата:
He could edit the 9.6/data/postgresql.conf file and have it use a different port, no?