Обсуждение: Amazon Linux Support?

Amazon Linux Support?

От
Lewis Shobbrook
Дата:
Hi Guys,

With the repo changes associated with the April 17 changes,
https://pgstef.github.io/2019/04/17/one_rpm_to_rule_them_all.html
It is evident that support for amazon linux has been dropped.
While you can try to use redhat pgdp packages, they are not
installable on Amazon Linux, giving the following error...

/etc/redhat-release is needed by pgdg-redhat-repo-42.0-4.noarch

I confident that the rest rpms available in the repo can be used by
Amazon linux, but the redhat-release dependency is painful for
automation with existing recipes such as postgresql in chef.

Before I invest the effort to produce a pull request to address this,
I wanted to confirm that amazon linux has been dropped and will no
longer, nor likely ever be supported for the rpms repo's, or is it
still on the road map?

Cheers

Lewis Shobbrook
Team Lead - DevOps

base2Services | The Cloud Services People
T 1300 713 559 E l.shobbrook@base2services.com
Lvl 21, 303 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
base2services.com.au

Re: Amazon Linux Support?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/30/19 2:02 AM, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> With the repo changes associated with the April 17 changes,
> https://pgstef.github.io/2019/04/17/one_rpm_to_rule_them_all.html
> It is evident that support for amazon linux has been dropped.
> While you can try to use redhat pgdp packages, they are not
> installable on Amazon Linux, giving the following error...
>
> /etc/redhat-release is needed by pgdg-redhat-repo-42.0-4.noarch
>
> I confident that the rest rpms available in the repo can be used by
> Amazon linux, but the redhat-release dependency is painful for
> automation with existing recipes such as postgresql in chef.
>
> Before I invest the effort to produce a pull request to address this,
> I wanted to confirm that amazon linux has been dropped and will no
> longer, nor likely ever be supported for the rpms repo's, or is it
> still on the road map?

You will need a community account to see the issue:

https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/4205

The relevant part:

Updated by Devrim Gündüz 4 days ago

"
Hi,

We dropped Amazon Linux support years ago, there were lots of
compatibility issues. The new repo RPMs just reflect that.

Please switch to a supported distro, or rebuild RPMs from SRPMS.

Regards, Devrim

"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Amazon Linux Support?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/30/19 8:40 AM, Michael Nolan wrote:

>     Updated by Devrim Gündüz 4 days ago
>
>     "
>     Hi,
>
>     We dropped Amazon Linux support years ago, there were lots of
>     compatibility issues. The new repo RPMs just reflect that.
>
>     Please switch to a supported distro, or rebuild RPMs from SRPMS.
>
>     Regards, Devrim
>

> I"m not sure exactly what this means, we got a notice from Amazon
> recently about EOL issues for PG 9.3 on an RDS server, is that related?
> (I don't handle AWS administration issues.)

I would say not. Pretty sure the notice you got is about:

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Version Current minor     Supported First Release     Final Release
9.3     9.3.25             No       September 9, 2013     November 8, 2018

In other words about Postgres 9.3 being past EOL as of past November.

What the OP was referring to was Amazon's version of Linux:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/amazon-linux-ami-basics.html

which is based off RH. The community RH repos no longer support that distro.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Amazon Linux Support?

От
Jeremy Schneider
Дата:
> On Apr 30, 2019, at 07:16, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/30/19 2:02 AM, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> With the repo changes associated with the April 17 changes,
>> https://pgstef.github.io/2019/04/17/one_rpm_to_rule_them_all.html
>> It is evident that support for amazon linux has been dropped.
>> While you can try to use redhat pgdp packages, they are not
>> installable on Amazon Linux, giving the following error...
>> /etc/redhat-release is needed by pgdg-redhat-repo-42.0-4.noarch
>> I confident that the rest rpms available in the repo can be used by
>> Amazon linux, but the redhat-release dependency is painful for
>> automation with existing recipes such as postgresql in chef.
>> Before I invest the effort to produce a pull request to address this,
>> I wanted to confirm that amazon linux has been dropped and will no
>> longer, nor likely ever be supported for the rpms repo's, or is it
>> still on the road map?
>
> You will need a community account to see the issue:
>
> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/4205
>
> The relevant part:
>
> Updated by Devrim Gündüz 4 days ago
>
> "
> Hi,
>
> We dropped Amazon Linux support years ago, there were lots of compatibility issues. The new repo RPMs just reflect
that.

> Please switch to a supported distro, or rebuild RPMs from SRPMS.
>
> Regards, Devrim

I've been using the rhel6 repo with AL without issue for a long time now.  it looks like they added a new dependency
thatbreaks this, but I recently tested this workaround and it seems to work:
`rpm -Uvh --nodeps
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/testing/11/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-redhat11-11-2.noarch.rpm`

the other thing is that I do is a `s/$releasever/6/g` on `/etc/yum.repos.d/pgdg-*.repo` -- i have this all baked into
someansible scripts and my scripts are working fine just now when i spun up a new ec2/postgres test server

-Jeremy

Sent from my TI-83

Re: Amazon Linux Support?

От
Lewis Shobbrook
Дата:
Thanks Jeremy,

I tried using the --nodeps but hit problems when trying to use the
repo, such gpg signatures etc.
It's more the fact that you can't add repo's for packages that are
pretty well compatible, where I figured the effort would be reasonably
small.
Thanks for the sed tip, I'll see how I fare with that and work with a
vendored chef recipe for now.

Cheers,

Lewis Shobbrook