Обсуждение: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Mariel Cherkassky
Дата:
Hey,
I have a very big toasted table in my db(9.2.5). Autovacuum doesnt gather statistics on it because the analyze_scale/threshold are default and as a result autoanalyze is never run and the statistics are wrong :

select * from pg_stat_all_Tables where relname='pg_toast_13488395';
-[ RECORD 1 ]-----+------------------------------
relid             | 13388396
schemaname        | pg_toast
relname           | pg_toast_13488395
seq_scan          | 42
seq_tup_read      | 71163925
idx_scan          | 5374497
idx_tup_fetch     | 2530272449
n_tup_ins         | 1253680014
n_tup_upd         | 0
n_tup_del         | 1253658363
n_tup_hot_upd     | 0
n_live_tup        | 49425717 wrong
n_dead_tup        | 7822920 wrong
last_vacuum       |
last_autovacuum   | 2019-02-12 20:54:44.247083-05
last_analyze      |
last_autoanalyze  |
vacuum_count      | 0
autovacuum_count  | 3747
analyze_count     | 0
autoanalyze_count | 0

When I try to set the both the scale_factor / threshold I'm getting the next error :
alter table orig_table set (toast.autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor=0);
ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

Any idea why ? I didn't find in the release documentations a note for a similar bug.

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Feb-13, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:

> Hey,
> I have a very big toasted table in my db(9.2.5).

Six years of bugfixes missing there ... you need to think about an
update.

> Autovacuum doesnt gather
> statistics on it because the analyze_scale/threshold are default and as a
> result autoanalyze is never run and the statistics are wrong :

analyze doesn't process toast tables anyway.

I think the best you could do is manually vacuum this table.

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Mariel Cherkassky
Дата:
To be honest, it isnt my db, but I just have access to it ...
Either way, so I need to change the vacuum_Analyze_scale/threshold for the original table ? But the value will be too high/low for the original table. For example if my original table has 30,000 rows and my toasted has 100,000,000 rows.  I want to analyze every 50K records in the toasted (by the way, sounds legit ?) which is 0.05% of 100m. With this value it means that every 0.05*30,000=1500 updated/deletes on the original table it will run analyze on the original table which is very often...
Doesn't it seems a little bit problematic ?

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 13 בפבר׳ 2019 ב-18:13 מאת ‪Alvaro Herrera‬‏ <‪alvherre@2ndquadrant.com‬‏>:‬

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Feb-13, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:

> To be honest, it isnt my db, but I just have access to it ...

Well, I suggest you forget the password then :-)

> Either way, so I need to change the vacuum_Analyze_scale/threshold for the
> original table ? But the value will be too high/low for the original table.
> For example if my original table has 30,000 rows and my toasted has
> 100,000,000 rows.  I want to analyze every 50K records in the toasted (by
> the way, sounds legit ?) which is 0.05% of 100m. With this value it means
> that every 0.05*30,000=1500 updated/deletes on the original table it will
> run analyze on the original table which is very often...
> Doesn't it seems a little bit problematic ?

Autovacuum considers main table and toast table separately for
vacuuming, so nothing you do to the parameters for the main table will
affect the vacuuming schedule of the toast table.

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Mariel Cherkassky
Дата:
I meant the anaylze, if anaylze will run very often on the original table, arent there disadvantages for it ?

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 13 בפבר׳ 2019 ב-18:54 מאת ‪Alvaro Herrera‬‏ <‪alvherre@2ndquadrant.com‬‏>:‬
On 2019-Feb-13, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:

> To be honest, it isnt my db, but I just have access to it ...

Well, I suggest you forget the password then :-)

> Either way, so I need to change the vacuum_Analyze_scale/threshold for the
> original table ? But the value will be too high/low for the original table.
> For example if my original table has 30,000 rows and my toasted has
> 100,000,000 rows.  I want to analyze every 50K records in the toasted (by
> the way, sounds legit ?) which is 0.05% of 100m. With this value it means
> that every 0.05*30,000=1500 updated/deletes on the original table it will
> run analyze on the original table which is very often...
> Doesn't it seems a little bit problematic ?

Autovacuum considers main table and toast table separately for
vacuuming, so nothing you do to the parameters for the main table will
affect the vacuuming schedule of the toast table.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Feb-14, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:

> I meant the anaylze, if anaylze will run very often on the original table,
> arent there disadvantages for it ?

It'll waste time and resources pointlessly.  Don't do it -- it won't do
any good.

Re: ERROR: unrecognized parameter "autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor"

От
Mariel Cherkassky
Дата:
'but then I don't have accurate statistics on my toasted table..