Обсуждение: First-draft release notes for next week's releases

First-draft release notes for next week's releases

Дата:
... are committed at

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=5996cfc4665735a7e6e8d473bd66e8b11e320bbb

Please send comments/corrections by Sunday.

            regards, tom lane

Re: First-draft release notes for next week's releases

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 5:19 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Please send comments/corrections by Sunday.

Note that "Fix deadlock in GIN vacuum introduced by 218f51584d5"
(which is commit fd83c83d on the master branch) is not that far from
being a complete revert of a v10 feature (this appears as "Reduce page
locking during vacuuming of GIN indexes" in the v10 release notes).
Perhaps that's something that needs to be pointed out directly, as
happened with the the recheck_on_update issue in the last point
release. We may even need to revise the v10 release notes.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: First-draft release notes for next week's releases

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> Note that "Fix deadlock in GIN vacuum introduced by 218f51584d5"
> (which is commit fd83c83d on the master branch) is not that far from
> being a complete revert of a v10 feature (this appears as "Reduce page
> locking during vacuuming of GIN indexes" in the v10 release notes).

Yeah, I saw that in the commit message, but didn't really think that
the release note entry needed to explain it that way.  Could be
argued differently though.

> We may even need to revise the v10 release notes.

Perhaps just remove that item from the 10.0 notes?

            regards, tom lane

Re: First-draft release notes for next week's releases

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yeah, I saw that in the commit message, but didn't really think that
> the release note entry needed to explain it that way.  Could be
> argued differently though.

I'm pretty confident that somebody is going to miss this
functionality, if this account of how the patch helped Yandex is
anything to go by:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7B44397E-5E0A-462F-8148-1C444640FA0B%40simply.name

> > We may even need to revise the v10 release notes.
>
> Perhaps just remove that item from the 10.0 notes?

The wording could be changed to reflect the current reality within
GIN. It's still useful that posting trees are only locked when there
are pages to be deleted.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: First-draft release notes for next week's releases

От
Amit Kapila
Дата: