Обсуждение: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
This function shows that only clock_timestamp() advances inside a
procedure, not statement_timestamp() or transaction_timestamp():

    CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE test_timestamp () AS $$
    DECLARE
            str TEXT;
    BEGIN
            WHILE TRUE LOOP
                    -- clock_timestamp() is updated on every loop
                    SELECT clock_timestamp() INTO str;
                    RAISE NOTICE 'clock       %', str;
                    SELECT statement_timestamp() INTO str;
                    RAISE NOTICE 'statement   %', str;
                    SELECT transaction_timestamp() INTO str;
                    RAISE NOTICE 'transaction %', str;
                    COMMIT;

                    PERFORM pg_sleep(2);
            END LOOP;
    END
    $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

    CALL test_timestamp();
    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-20 19:38:22.575794-04
    NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
    NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04

-->    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-20 19:38:24.578027-04
    NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
    NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04

This surprised me since I expected a new timestamp after commit.  Is
this something we want to change or document?  Are there other
per-transaction behaviors we should adjust?

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 07:40:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> This surprised me since I expected a new timestamp after commit.  Is
> this something we want to change or document?  Are there other
> per-transaction behaviors we should adjust?

I don't quite follow your argument here.  clock_timestamp is known to be
volatile, while the two others are stable, so its value can change
within a transaction.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-09-21 13:55:36 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 07:40:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > This surprised me since I expected a new timestamp after commit.  Is
> > this something we want to change or document?  Are there other
> > per-transaction behaviors we should adjust?
>
> I don't quite follow your argument here.  clock_timestamp is known to be
> volatile, while the two others are stable, so its value can change
> within a transaction.

Isn't the point that transaction_timestamp() does *not* currently change
its value, even though the transaction (although not the outermost
statement) has finished?

I think Bruce has quite the point here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:12:06PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Isn't the point that transaction_timestamp() does *not* currently change
> its value, even though the transaction (although not the outermost
> statement) has finished?

Ouch, yes.  I see the point now.  Indeed that's strange to not have a
new transaction timestamp after commit within the DO block..

I need a break of a couple of minutes.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:34:25PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:12:06PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Isn't the point that transaction_timestamp() does *not* currently change
> > its value, even though the transaction (although not the outermost
> > statement) has finished?
>
> Ouch, yes.  I see the point now.  Indeed that's strange to not have a
> new transaction timestamp after commit within the DO block..

So, this puts us in an odd position.  Right now everyone knows that
statement_timestamp() is only changed by the outer statement, i.e., a
SELECT in a function doesn't change statement_timestamp().   So, there
is an argument that transaction_timestamp() should do the same and not
change in a function --- in fact, if it does change, it would mean that
transaction_timestamp() changes in a function, but statement_timestamp()
doesn't --- that seems very odd.  It would mean that new statements in a
function don't change statement_timestamp(), but new transctions in a
function do --- again, very odd.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:28:22AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 02:34:25PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:12:06PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Isn't the point that transaction_timestamp() does *not* currently change
> > > its value, even though the transaction (although not the outermost
> > > statement) has finished?
> >
> > Ouch, yes.  I see the point now.  Indeed that's strange to not have a
> > new transaction timestamp after commit within the DO block..
>
> So, this puts us in an odd position.  Right now everyone knows that
> statement_timestamp() is only changed by the outer statement, i.e., a
> SELECT in a function doesn't change statement_timestamp().   So, there
> is an argument that transaction_timestamp() should do the same and not
> change in a function --- in fact, if it does change, it would mean that
> transaction_timestamp() changes in a function, but statement_timestamp()
> doesn't --- that seems very odd.  It would mean that new statements in a
> function don't change statement_timestamp(), but new transctions in a
> function do --- again, very odd.

Sorry I was unclear about this.  It is only the third loop that proves
it is not advancing:

    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-21 18:01:00.63704-04
    NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04
    NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04

    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-21 18:01:02.640033-04
    NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04
    NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04

    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-21 18:01:04.642266-04
    NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04
-->    NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-21 18:01:00.636509-04

Keep in mind that transaction_timestamp() is CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

I have always thought of clock/statement/transation as decreasing levels
of time precision, and it might be odd to change that.  I don't think we
want to change the behavior of statement_timestamp() in procedures, so
that kind of requires us not to change transaction_timestamp() inside of
procedures.

However, no change in behavior causes the problem that if you have a
transaction block using transaction_timestamp() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
and you move it into a procedure, the behavior of those functions will
change, but this was always true of moving statement_timestamp() into a
function, and I have never heard a complaint about that.

Does the SQL standard have anything to say about CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in
procedures?  Do we need another function that does advance on procedure
commit?

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:35:02PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Does the SQL standard have anything to say about CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in
> procedures?  Do we need another function that does advance on procedure
> commit?

I found a section in the SQL standards that talks about it, but I don't
understand it.  Can I quote the paragraph here?

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-09-20 19:40:40 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> This function shows that only clock_timestamp() advances inside a
> procedure, not statement_timestamp() or transaction_timestamp():
>
>     CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE test_timestamp () AS $$
>     DECLARE
>             str TEXT;
>     BEGIN
>             WHILE TRUE LOOP
>                     -- clock_timestamp() is updated on every loop
>                     SELECT clock_timestamp() INTO str;
>                     RAISE NOTICE 'clock       %', str;
>                     SELECT statement_timestamp() INTO str;
>                     RAISE NOTICE 'statement   %', str;
>                     SELECT transaction_timestamp() INTO str;
>                     RAISE NOTICE 'transaction %', str;
>                     COMMIT;
>
>                     PERFORM pg_sleep(2);
>             END LOOP;
>     END
>     $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
>     CALL test_timestamp();
>     NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-20 19:38:22.575794-04
>     NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
>     NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
>
> -->    NOTICE:  clock       2018-09-20 19:38:24.578027-04
>     NOTICE:  statement   2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
>     NOTICE:  transaction 2018-09-20 19:38:22.575685-04
>
> This surprised me since I expected a new timestamp after commit.  Is
> this something we want to change or document?  Are there other
> per-transaction behaviors we should adjust?

ISTM this is an issue that belongs on the open items list. Peter, could
you comment?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:35:02PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Does the SQL standard have anything to say about CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in
> procedures?  Do we need another function that does advance on procedure
> commit?

I found a section in the SQL standards that talks about it, but I don't
understand it.  Can I quote the paragraph here?

I've seen others do it; and small sections of copyrighted material posted for commentary or critique would likely be covered by "fair use" exemptions.

David J.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-09-25 14:50:02 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> ISTM this is an issue that belongs on the open items list. Peter, could
> you comment?

Done so, per discussion with the rest of the RMT.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 03:01:31PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:35:02PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>     > Does the SQL standard have anything to say about CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in
>     > procedures?  Do we need another function that does advance on procedure
>     > commit?
>
>     I found a section in the SQL standards that talks about it, but I don't
>     understand it.  Can I quote the paragraph here?
>

> I've seen others do it; and small sections of copyrighted material posted for
> commentary or critique would likely be covered by "fair use" exemptions.

Well, it is an entire paragraph, so it might be too much.  If you
download the zip file here:

    http://www.wiscorp.com/sql200n.zip

and open 5CD2-02-Foundation-2006-01.pdf, at the top of page 289 under
General Rules, paragraph label 3 has the description.  It talks about
procedure statements and trigger functions, which seems promising.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 22/09/2018 00:35, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have always thought of clock/statement/transation as decreasing levels
> of time precision, and it might be odd to change that.  I don't think we
> want to change the behavior of statement_timestamp() in procedures, so
> that kind of requires us not to change transaction_timestamp() inside of
> procedures.
>
> However, no change in behavior causes the problem that if you have a
> transaction block using transaction_timestamp() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
> and you move it into a procedure, the behavior of those functions will
> change, but this was always true of moving statement_timestamp() into a
> function, and I have never heard a complaint about that.

Right.  Statement timestamp actually means the timestamp of the
top-level statement, because it's set where the protocol interaction
happens.  The transaction timestamp is implemented as the statement
timestamp when the transaction starts, but for intra-procedural
transactions, the statement timestamp does not advance, so the
transaction timestamp doesn't change.

Note that this also affects the xact_start column in pg_stat_activity.

We could certainly address this by adding three or four or five new
timestamps that cover all these varieties.  But perhaps it's worth
asking what these timestamps are useful for and which ones we really need.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 02:38:25PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 22/09/2018 00:35, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have always thought of clock/statement/transation as decreasing levels
> > of time precision, and it might be odd to change that.  I don't think we
> > want to change the behavior of statement_timestamp() in procedures, so
> > that kind of requires us not to change transaction_timestamp() inside of
> > procedures.
> >
> > However, no change in behavior causes the problem that if you have a
> > transaction block using transaction_timestamp() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
> > and you move it into a procedure, the behavior of those functions will
> > change, but this was always true of moving statement_timestamp() into a
> > function, and I have never heard a complaint about that.
>
> Right.  Statement timestamp actually means the timestamp of the
> top-level statement, because it's set where the protocol interaction
> happens.  The transaction timestamp is implemented as the statement
> timestamp when the transaction starts, but for intra-procedural
> transactions, the statement timestamp does not advance, so the
> transaction timestamp doesn't change.
>
> Note that this also affects the xact_start column in pg_stat_activity.
>
> We could certainly address this by adding three or four or five new
> timestamps that cover all these varieties.  But perhaps it's worth
> asking what these timestamps are useful for and which ones we really need.

Frankly, we might be fine with just documenting it and see if anyone
complains.  I think the top-level statement part is obvious, but I am
not sure the top-level transaction part is.  This is because it is clear
the top-level statement causes all the lower statements underneath it,
but the top-level transaction doesn't control all the transactions under
it in the same way.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 02:38:25PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> We could certainly address this by adding three or four or five new
>> timestamps that cover all these varieties.  But perhaps it's worth
>> asking what these timestamps are useful for and which ones we really need.

> Frankly, we might be fine with just documenting it and see if anyone
> complains.

I'm not for adding a bunch of new action-start timestamps without very
clear use-cases for them, because each one we add means more gettimeday()
overhead that might or might not ever be useful.

I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
than statement timestamp.  So for now at least, I'd be satisfied with
documenting the behavior.

            regards, tom lane

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Sep-25, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Well, it is an entire paragraph, so it might be too much.  If you
> download the zip file here:
>
>     http://www.wiscorp.com/sql200n.zip
>
> and open 5CD2-02-Foundation-2006-01.pdf, at the top of page 289 under
> General Rules, paragraph label 3 has the description.  It talks about
> procedure statements and trigger functions, which seems promising.

I have the 2011 draft, not the 2006 one; you seem to be referring to
<datetime value function> (which is 6.32 in the 2011 draft I have).
General rule 3 is entirely unreadable, and is followed by this note:

  WG3:LCY-025 took no action on the preceding instance of general containment.
  It was felt that this rule is too complicated, to the point of being virtually
  unintelligible. In addition, the rule does not recognize that <datetime value
  function>s can be evaluated implicitly as <default option>s. It is believed
  that this rule does not reflect actual practice and should be rewritten to
  align it with implementations. Note that Subclause 15.1, “Effect of opening a
  cursor”, also has a General Rule on this subject. See
  Possible Problem FND-992 .

In SQL2016, this rule was removed completely.

I don't think this offers any practical guidance.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 02:38:25PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> We could certainly address this by adding three or four or five new
> >> timestamps that cover all these varieties.  But perhaps it's worth
> >> asking what these timestamps are useful for and which ones we really need.
>
> > Frankly, we might be fine with just documenting it and see if anyone
> > complains.
>
> I'm not for adding a bunch of new action-start timestamps without very
> clear use-cases for them, because each one we add means more gettimeday()
> overhead that might or might not ever be useful.
>
> I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
> than statement timestamp.  So for now at least, I'd be satisfied with
> documenting the behavior.

Really?  I thought it was practically obvious that for transaction-
controlling procedures, the transaction timestamp would not necessarily
be aligned with the statement timestamp.  The surprise would come
together with the usage of the new feature, so existing users would not
be surprised in any way.

I do wonder how do other systems behave in this area, though.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
> On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
>> than statement timestamp.  So for now at least, I'd be satisfied with
>> documenting the behavior.

> Really?  I thought it was practically obvious that for transaction-
> controlling procedures, the transaction timestamp would not necessarily
> be aligned with the statement timestamp.  The surprise would come
> together with the usage of the new feature, so existing users would not
> be surprised in any way.

Nope.  That's the same poor reasoning we've fallen into in some other
cases, of assuming that "the user" is a point source of knowledge.
But DBMSes tend to interact with lots of different code.  If some part
of application A starts using intraprocedure transactions, and then
application B breaks because it wasn't expecting to see xact_start
later than query_start in pg_stat_activity, you've still got a problem.

I'm also a bit hesitant to invent new semantics here based on the
assumption that we've got only one, nonoverlapping, top-level transaction
at a time.  It's not terribly hard to imagine suspend-and-resume-
transaction features coming down the pike at some point.  What will
we do then?  We'll already have a definitional issue for xact_start,
but it'll get worse the more different kinds of xact_start we have.

            regards, tom lane

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
> >> than statement timestamp.  So for now at least, I'd be satisfied with
> >> documenting the behavior.
>
> > Really?  I thought it was practically obvious that for transaction-
> > controlling procedures, the transaction timestamp would not necessarily
> > be aligned with the statement timestamp.  The surprise would come
> > together with the usage of the new feature, so existing users would not
> > be surprised in any way.
>
> Nope.  That's the same poor reasoning we've fallen into in some other
> cases, of assuming that "the user" is a point source of knowledge.
> But DBMSes tend to interact with lots of different code.  If some part
> of application A starts using intraprocedure transactions, and then
> application B breaks because it wasn't expecting to see xact_start
> later than query_start in pg_stat_activity, you've still got a problem.

While that's true, I think it's also highly hypothetical.

What could be the use for the transaction timestamp?  I think one of the
most important uses (at least in pg_stat_activity) is to verify that
transactions are not taking excessively long time to complete; that's
known to cause all sorts of trouble in Postgres, and probably other
DBMSs too.  If we don't accurately measure what it really is, and
instead keep the compatibility behavior, we risk panicking people
because they think some transaction has been running for a long time
when in reality it's just a very long procedure which commits frequently
enough not to be a problem.

> I'm also a bit hesitant to invent new semantics here based on the
> assumption that we've got only one, nonoverlapping, top-level transaction
> at a time.  It's not terribly hard to imagine suspend-and-resume-
> transaction features coming down the pike at some point.  What will
> we do then?  We'll already have a definitional issue for xact_start,
> but it'll get worse the more different kinds of xact_start we have.

This is even more hypothetical.

If we can have a list or stack of running transactions, clearly a single
timestamp value is not sufficient.  We could report a single value for
"the oldest transaction", or perhaps "the transaction that's currently
active".  But if we wanted to be really thorough about it, we'd need to
report the list of timestamps for each running transaction in the
current session.  However, I don't think those future developments would
change what the transaction timestamp is, namely, the start of the
current transaction, not the start of the statement that (after possibly
many iterations) gave rise to the current transaction.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-09-26 12:54:43 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> >
> > > Really?  I thought it was practically obvious that for transaction-
> > > controlling procedures, the transaction timestamp would not necessarily
> > > be aligned with the statement timestamp.  The surprise would come
> > > together with the usage of the new feature, so existing users would not
> > > be surprised in any way.
> >
> > Nope.  That's the same poor reasoning we've fallen into in some other
> > cases, of assuming that "the user" is a point source of knowledge.
> > But DBMSes tend to interact with lots of different code.  If some part
> > of application A starts using intraprocedure transactions, and then
> > application B breaks because it wasn't expecting to see xact_start
> > later than query_start in pg_stat_activity, you've still got a problem.
>
> While that's true, I think it's also highly hypothetical.
>
> What could be the use for the transaction timestamp?  I think one of the
> most important uses (at least in pg_stat_activity) is to verify that
> transactions are not taking excessively long time to complete; that's
> known to cause all sorts of trouble in Postgres, and probably other
> DBMSs too.  If we don't accurately measure what it really is, and
> instead keep the compatibility behavior, we risk panicking people
> because they think some transaction has been running for a long time
> when in reality it's just a very long procedure which commits frequently
> enough not to be a problem.

+1

> > I'm also a bit hesitant to invent new semantics here based on the
> > assumption that we've got only one, nonoverlapping, top-level transaction
> > at a time.  It's not terribly hard to imagine suspend-and-resume-
> > transaction features coming down the pike at some point.  What will
> > we do then?  We'll already have a definitional issue for xact_start,
> > but it'll get worse the more different kinds of xact_start we have.
>
> This is even more hypothetical.
>
> If we can have a list or stack of running transactions, clearly a single
> timestamp value is not sufficient.  We could report a single value for
> "the oldest transaction", or perhaps "the transaction that's currently
> active".  But if we wanted to be really thorough about it, we'd need to
> report the list of timestamps for each running transaction in the
> current session.  However, I don't think those future developments would
> change what the transaction timestamp is, namely, the start of the
> current transaction, not the start of the statement that (after possibly
> many iterations) gave rise to the current transaction.

+1

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
"Daniel Verite"
    Tom Lane wrote:

> I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
> than statement timestamp.

To me it's more surprising to start a new transaction and having
transaction_timestamp() still pointing at the start of a previous
transaction.
This feels like a side-effect of being spawned by a procedure,
and an exception to what transaction_timestamp() normally means
or meant until now.

OTOH transaction_timestamp() being possibly newer than
statement_timestamp() seems like a normal consequence of
transactions being created intra-statement.

+1 for transaction_timestamp() and pg_stat_activity being updated
to follow intra-procedure transactions.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 26/09/2018 17:54, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> What could be the use for the transaction timestamp?  I think one of the
> most important uses (at least in pg_stat_activity) is to verify that
> transactions are not taking excessively long time to complete; that's
> known to cause all sorts of trouble in Postgres, and probably other
> DBMSs too.  If we don't accurately measure what it really is, and
> instead keep the compatibility behavior, we risk panicking people
> because they think some transaction has been running for a long time
> when in reality it's just a very long procedure which commits frequently
> enough not to be a problem.

That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
desirable.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 26/09/2018 23:48, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 26/09/2018 17:54, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> What could be the use for the transaction timestamp?  I think one of the
>> most important uses (at least in pg_stat_activity) is to verify that
>> transactions are not taking excessively long time to complete; that's
>> known to cause all sorts of trouble in Postgres, and probably other
>> DBMSs too.  If we don't accurately measure what it really is, and
>> instead keep the compatibility behavior, we risk panicking people
>> because they think some transaction has been running for a long time
>> when in reality it's just a very long procedure which commits frequently
>> enough not to be a problem.
>
> That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
> transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
> mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
> would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
> desirable.

Attached is a rough implementation.

I'd be mildly in favor of doing this, but we have mentioned tradeoffs in
this thread.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 09:23:58PM +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
>     Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > I agree that it would be surprising for transaction timestamp to be newer
> > than statement timestamp.
>
> To me it's more surprising to start a new transaction and having
> transaction_timestamp() still pointing at the start of a previous
> transaction.
> This feels like a side-effect of being spawned by a procedure,
> and an exception to what transaction_timestamp() normally means
> or meant until now.
>
> OTOH transaction_timestamp() being possibly newer than
> statement_timestamp() seems like a normal consequence of
> transactions being created intra-statement.

Yes, that is a good point.  My thought has always been that statements
are inside of transactions, but the opposite is now possible.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 28/09/2018 09:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
>> transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
>> mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
>> would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
>> desirable.
>
> Attached is a rough implementation.
>
> I'd be mildly in favor of doing this, but we have mentioned tradeoffs in
> this thread.

So do we want to do this or not?

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
On Tue, Oct  2, 2018 at 10:55:56AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 28/09/2018 09:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
> >> transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
> >> mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
> >> would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
> >> desirable.
> >
> > Attached is a rough implementation.
> >
> > I'd be mildly in favor of doing this, but we have mentioned tradeoffs in
> > this thread.
>
> So do we want to do this or not?

I thought some more about this.  I think there are a few issues:

1  Utility:  since you can't use CALL in a transaction block, our
current code will always have transaction_timestamp() and
statement_timestamp() as identical in a procedure.  Having
transaction_timestamp() advance on COMMIT gives users a new ability.

2  Surprise:  What do people use transaction_timestamp() for and what
behavior would be most expected?

3  Other databases:  How do other database systems handle this, and the
SQL standard?

Based on 1 and 2, I suggest we change transaction_timestamp() to advance
on COMMIT in procedure, and document this.  I have no idea on #3.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-10-02 10:55:56 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 28/09/2018 09:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
> >> transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
> >> mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
> >> would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
> >> desirable.
> >
> > Attached is a rough implementation.
> >
> > I'd be mildly in favor of doing this, but we have mentioned tradeoffs in
> > this thread.
>
> So do we want to do this or not?

Without having reviewed the patch yet, yes, I'd say we want this.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-09-28 09:35:48 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 26/09/2018 23:48, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > That's certainly a good argument.  Note that if we implemented that the
> > transaction timestamp is advanced inside procedures, that would also
> > mean that the transaction timestamp as observed in pg_stat_activity
> > would move during VACUUM, for example.  That might or might not be
> > desirable.

I think it doesn't hurt, although it's also not a huge advantage.

> diff --git a/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c b/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c
> index 9aa63c8792..245735420c 100644
> --- a/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c
> +++ b/src/backend/access/transam/xact.c
> @@ -1884,14 +1884,19 @@ StartTransaction(void)
>      TRACE_POSTGRESQL_TRANSACTION_START(vxid.localTransactionId);
>
>      /*
> -     * set transaction_timestamp() (a/k/a now()).  We want this to be the same
> -     * as the first command's statement_timestamp(), so don't do a fresh
> -     * GetCurrentTimestamp() call (which'd be expensive anyway).  Also, mark
> -     * xactStopTimestamp as unset.
> -     */
> -    xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
> -    xactStopTimestamp = 0;
> +     * set transaction_timestamp() (a/k/a now()).  Normally, we want this to
> +     * be the same as the first command's statement_timestamp(), so don't do a
> +     * fresh GetCurrentTimestamp() call (which'd be expensive anyway).  But
> +     * for transactions started inside statements (e.g., procedure calls), we
> +     * want to advance the timestamp.
> +     */
> +    if (xactStartTimestamp < stmtStartTimestamp)
> +        xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
> +    else
> +        xactStartTimestamp = GetCurrentTimestamp();
>      pgstat_report_xact_timestamp(xactStartTimestamp);
> +    /* Mark xactStopTimestamp as unset. */
> +    xactStopTimestamp = 0;

It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of being
a global var).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:55 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2018-Sep-26, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> >
> > > Really?  I thought it was practically obvious that for transaction-
> > > controlling procedures, the transaction timestamp would not necessarily
> > > be aligned with the statement timestamp.  The surprise would come
> > > together with the usage of the new feature, so existing users would not
> > > be surprised in any way.
> >
> > Nope.  That's the same poor reasoning we've fallen into in some other
> > cases, of assuming that "the user" is a point source of knowledge.
> > But DBMSes tend to interact with lots of different code.  If some part
> > of application A starts using intraprocedure transactions, and then
> > application B breaks because it wasn't expecting to see xact_start
> > later than query_start in pg_stat_activity, you've still got a problem.
>
> While that's true, I think it's also highly hypothetical.
>
> What could be the use for the transaction timestamp?  I think one of the
> most important uses (at least in pg_stat_activity) is to verify that
> transactions are not taking excessively long time to complete;

+1

I think the existing behavior is broken, and extremely so.
Transaction timestamp has a very clear definition to me.  I'm in
planning to move a lot of code into stored procedures from bash, and
upon doing so it's going to trip all kinds of nagios alarms that are
looking at the longest running transaction.

merlin

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 02/10/2018 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
> It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
> differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
> xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of being
> a global var).

Maybe but it seems to be the simplest way without doing major surgery to
all this code.

Attached is an updated patch with a test case.

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
> On 02/10/2018 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
>> It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
>> differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
>> xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of being
>> a global var).

> Maybe but it seems to be the simplest way without doing major surgery to
> all this code.

This patch doesn't apply over 07ee62ce9.  Also, I like the
timestamp-comparison approach even less than Andres does: I think it's
probably outright broken, especially since it treats the equality case
as license to advance xactStartTimestamp.

Surely there is some way that we can directly test whether we're inside a
procedure or not?  I think the logic should be basically

    if (!IsParallelWorker())
+   {
+       if (!InsideProcedure())
            xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
+       else
+           xactStartTimestamp = GetCurrentTimestamp();
+   }
    else
       Assert(xactStartTimestamp != 0);

            regards, tom lane

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
> On 02/10/2018 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
>> It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
>> differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
>> xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of being
>> a global var).

> Maybe but it seems to be the simplest way without doing major surgery to
> all this code.

This patch doesn't apply over 07ee62ce9.  Also, I like the
timestamp-comparison approach even less than Andres does: I think it's
probably outright broken, especially since it treats the equality case
as license to advance xactStartTimestamp.

Surely there is some way that we can directly test whether we're inside a
procedure or not?  I think the logic should be basically

    if (!IsParallelWorker())
+   {
+       if (!InsideProcedure())
            xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
+       else
+           xactStartTimestamp = GetCurrentTimestamp();
+   }
    else
       Assert(xactStartTimestamp != 0);

            regards, tom lane

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On October 8, 2018 10:14:34 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 02/10/2018 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
>>> differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
>>> xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of
>being
>>> a global var).
>
>> Maybe but it seems to be the simplest way without doing major surgery
>> all this code.
>
>This patch doesn't apply over 07ee62ce9.  Also, I like the
>timestamp-comparison approach even less than Andres does: I think it's
>probably outright broken, especially since it treats the equality case
>as license to advance xactStartTimestamp.
>
>Surely there is some way that we can directly test whether we're inside
>procedure or not?  I think the logic should be basically
>
>    if (!IsParallelWorker())
>+   {
>+       if (!InsideProcedure())
>            xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
>+       else
>+           xactStartTimestamp = GetCurrentTimestamp();
>+   }
>    else
>       Assert(xactStartTimestamp != 0);

Seems more reasonable from here.

Andres

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On October 8, 2018 10:14:34 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 02/10/2018 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> It's a bit weird to make this decision based on these two timestamps
>>> differing.  For one, it only indirectly seems to be guaranteed that
>>> xactStartTimestamp is even set to anything here (to 0 by virtue of
>being
>>> a global var).
>
>> Maybe but it seems to be the simplest way without doing major surgery
>> all this code.
>
>This patch doesn't apply over 07ee62ce9.  Also, I like the
>timestamp-comparison approach even less than Andres does: I think it's
>probably outright broken, especially since it treats the equality case
>as license to advance xactStartTimestamp.
>
>Surely there is some way that we can directly test whether we're inside
>procedure or not?  I think the logic should be basically
>
>    if (!IsParallelWorker())
>+   {
>+       if (!InsideProcedure())
>            xactStartTimestamp = stmtStartTimestamp;
>+       else
>+           xactStartTimestamp = GetCurrentTimestamp();
>+   }
>    else
>       Assert(xactStartTimestamp != 0);

Seems more reasonable from here.

Andres

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата:
> On October 8, 2018 10:14:34 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Surely there is some way that we can directly test whether we're inside
>> a procedure or not?  I think the logic should be basically

> Seems more reasonable from here.

We are rapidly running out of time to get this fixed before RC1.
In the interests of getting across the finish line, I took a look
around, and found that indeed there does not seem to be any exported
way to detect whether we're inside a procedure or not.  Which seems
pretty darn dumb from here.

The best way to determine that seems to be to check that that the SPI
stack is (a) nonempty and (b) has a "nonatomic" topmost entry.

Barring objections, I'm going to make a quick hack that adds a SPI
entry point along the lines of "bool SPI_inside_nonatomic_context(void)"
to do that test, adapt the xact.c code as I said upthread, and commit
with Peter's regression test case.

            regards, tom lane

Re: transction_timestamp() inside of procedures

Дата: