Обсуждение: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
Hi

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Thanks,

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
Anyone any thoughts on this?

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Thanks,

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
suresh neravati
Дата:
Hi Debraj,

You can use pg_upgrade utility from Postgresql.  This works with inplace option.  Look at this link below for more details.

This option is also be the fastest for upgrading from 9.5 to PG10

Thanks,
Suresh Neravati

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Thanks,

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
Yes.

 What will be the disk space requirement for space for same set of data in 9.5 and 10? I am asking this as I am guessing since we have to do data migration so there may be some change in data format.

You can use pg_upgrade utility from Postgresql.  This works with inplace option.  Look at this link below for more details.

This option is also be the fastest for upgrading from 9.5 to PG10

Thanks,
Suresh Neravati

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Thanks,

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Ron
Дата:
How fast is fast?  Does it need to rewrite all the data (would take a while on a Really Large Database), or just change a bit of metadata?

You can use pg_upgrade utility from Postgresql.  This works with inplace option.  Look at this link below for more details.

This option is also be the fastest for upgrading from 9.5 to PG10

Thanks,
Suresh Neravati

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
suresh neravati
Дата:
You will create a new data directory for 10 and the data from 9.5 will get moved to that new folder after the upgrade.  The metadata info in the catalog will get updated accordingly to pg10.

At the end of the upgrade, the 9.5 folder can be dropped after making sure everything is working. This script is also get generated by pg_upgrade.

thanks,
Suresh Neravati.

You can use pg_upgrade utility from Postgresql.  This works with inplace option.  Look at this link below for more details.

This option is also be the fastest for upgrading from 9.5 to PG10

Thanks,
Suresh Neravati

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

Thanks,

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Sachin Singh
Дата:
Hi Debraj,
I recently upgraded my postgres from 9.5 to 10.3 using pg_upgrade and it was smooth. There is no separate disk space requirement for migration of data .
Also before migration you can try "check " option for dry run of migration. (not actual migration , data will be untouched).Below is command
/usr/pgsql-10/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir=<> --new-bindir=<> --old-datadir=<> --new-datadir=<> --check

 What will be the disk space requirement for space for same set of data in 9.5 and 10? I am asking this as I am guessing since we have to do data migration so there may be some change in data format.

You can use pg_upgrade utility from Postgresql.  This works with inplace option.  Look at this link below for more details.

This option is also be the fastest for upgrading from 9.5 to PG10

Thanks,
Suresh Neravati

On moving from postgres 9.5.4 to postgres 10.x we have to do data migration.

Can some one let me know will the disk space requirement remain same for same set of tables with same number of rows in postgres 10.x and postgres 9.5.4 ?

With Regards

Sachin

Contact: +91-8123183431
Email: notsachin@gmail.com
BANGLORE

Re: Postgres 10 disk space requirement compared to postgres 9.5.4

От
Debraj Manna
Дата:
I think been are going off the topic in this thread. My initial question was