Обсуждение: certificate issue between download and ftp

certificate issue between download and ftp

От
Martín Marqués
Дата:
Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to send this but as it's
related with the servers and access to downloads, this seems the most
appropriate list.

I just tried downloading a pgdg yum repo and got a certificate error:

# wget https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
--2018-06-21 10:45:04--
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
Resolviendo download.postgresql.org... 204.145.124.244,
174.143.35.246, 87.238.57.227, ...
Connecting to download.postgresql.org|204.145.124.244|:443... conectado.
ERROR: certificate common name `ftp.postgresql.org' doesn't match
requested host name `download.postgresql.org'.
To connect to download.postgresql.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

Seems clear from the error what the problem is, so I'm just reporting here.

Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: certificate issue between download and ftp

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Martín Marqués (martin@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to send this but as it's
> related with the servers and access to downloads, this seems the most
> appropriate list.
>
> I just tried downloading a pgdg yum repo and got a certificate error:
>
> # wget https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
> --2018-06-21 10:45:04--
> https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
> Resolviendo download.postgresql.org... 204.145.124.244,
> 174.143.35.246, 87.238.57.227, ...
> Connecting to download.postgresql.org|204.145.124.244|:443... conectado.
> ERROR: certificate common name `ftp.postgresql.org' doesn't match
> requested host name `download.postgresql.org'.
> To connect to download.postgresql.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
>
> Seems clear from the error what the problem is, so I'm just reporting here.

While ftp.postgresql.org is the common name on the certificate,
download.postgresql.org is listed as a Subject Alternative Name and
therefore should be accepted.  I certainly don't have any issue here
using a recent Ubuntu version.

What version of wget is that..?

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: certificate issue between download and ftp

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El 21/06/18 a las 11:53, Martín Marqués escribió:
> Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to send this but as it's
> related with the servers and access to downloads, this seems the most
> appropriate list.
>
> I just tried downloading a pgdg yum repo and got a certificate error:
>
> # wget https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
> --2018-06-21 10:45:04--
> https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/10/redhat/rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos10-10-2.noarch.rpm
> Resolviendo download.postgresql.org... 204.145.124.244,
> 174.143.35.246, 87.238.57.227, ...
> Connecting to download.postgresql.org|204.145.124.244|:443... conectado.
> ERROR: certificate common name `ftp.postgresql.org' doesn't match
> requested host name `download.postgresql.org'.
> To connect to download.postgresql.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
>
> Seems clear from the error what the problem is, so I'm just reporting here.

Seems I had to investigate a bit further before sending. It looks like
it's related to access from a specific server. No errors from my laptop,
so I'm starting to suspect something broken in the routing.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: certificate issue between download and ftp

Дата:
> While ftp.postgresql.org is the common name on the certificate,
> download.postgresql.org is listed as a Subject Alternative Name and
> therefore should be accepted.  I certainly don't have any issue here
> using a recent Ubuntu version.

FWIW, the given case works for me with RHEL6's wget (wget-1.12-10.el6),
but I see this entry in the changelog for that package:

* Fri Jan 31 2014 Tomas Hozza <thozza@redhat.com> 1.12-2
- Fix wget to recognize certificates with alternative names (#736445)

which likely was a back-patch from upstream 1.13 or later.  It's
reasonable to suspect that there are still wget's in the wild with this
bug.  How much of a PITA would it be to avoid use of alternative names
for the download servers?

            regards, tom lane

Re: certificate issue between download and ftp

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El 21/06/18 a las 12:08, Tom Lane escribió:
>> While ftp.postgresql.org is the common name on the certificate,
>> download.postgresql.org is listed as a Subject Alternative Name and
>> therefore should be accepted.  I certainly don't have any issue here
>> using a recent Ubuntu version.
>
> FWIW, the given case works for me with RHEL6's wget (wget-1.12-10.el6),
> but I see this entry in the changelog for that package:
>
> * Fri Jan 31 2014 Tomas Hozza <thozza@redhat.com> 1.12-2
> - Fix wget to recognize certificates with alternative names (#736445)

Yeah, that seems to be the problem:

# wget --version
GNU Wget 1.12 built on linux-gnu.

# rpm -qa | grep wget
wget-1.12-1.4.el6.x86_64

Updated wget to the latest on Centos6 (1.12-10) and now it works great.

Sorry for the noise. This is a server that just dropped on my lap.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/