Обсуждение: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Kefan Yang

Hello,

My name is Kefan Yang. I am so excited that my proposal ‘Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking 2018’ has been accepted. I see on the Wiki page that you can mentor this proposal. This is what I’ve done in these few days:

  1. I’ve carefully read through Submit a Patch and have a basic understanding of the submission process.
  2. I’ve set up the environment and ready to code. The sorting routine is kind of separated from other modules so I don’t need much time to get familiar with the code base. If things go smoothly, I can start coding ahead of schedule

Now I have some questions:

  1. If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable  under the src/bin/ folder just like pgbench?
  2. Do you, or other community members, have any suggestions about the final version of proposal?
  3. Are there any specific thing you expect me to do during this community bonding period?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Kefan

Вложения

Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Kefan Yang <starordust@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable
> under the src/bin/ folder just like pgbench?

What would this executable do, exactly?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Andrey Borodin
Дата:
Hi!

> 26 апр. 2018 г., в 0:12, Kefan Yang <starordust@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> My name is Kefan Yang. I am so excited that my proposal ‘Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking 2018’ has been accepted.
Welcome! I'm also glad you've chosen this project.

> I see on the Wiki page that you can mentor this proposal.
Yes, we with Atri Sharma will mentor this project.

> This is what I’ve done in these few days:
>     • I’ve carefully read through Submit a Patch and have a basic understanding of the submission process.
Cool!
>     • I’ve set up the environment and ready to code. The sorting routine is kind of separated from other modules so I
don’tneed much time to get familiar with the code base. If things go smoothly, I can start coding ahead of schedule
Great!
> Now I have some questions:
>     • If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable  under the src/bin/ folder just
likepgbench?
Well, I think it is up to you how to make reproducible, precise and correct benchmarking :)
You can make exec (we will not have to merge it into PG, we need just results), or you can make Postgres extension (it
ismuch easier) which will be executed from psql.
>     • Do you, or other community members, have any suggestions about the final version of proposal?
As far as I know, proposal cannot be modified. Actual work can be slightly adjusted though.
>     • Are there any specific thing you expect me to do during this community bonding period?

Let's establish communication. You can also build PostgreSQL from git and try pgbench (tool for benchmarking overall
performance).Read something about TPC-(A,B,C) and YCSB, and may be even read something about sysbench.
I can think of following mediums of communications:
1. Slack channel
2. Telegram chat
3. Skype chat
4. E-mail

Atri, Kefar, how do you think, which of these will do best for us?

Best re

RE: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Kefan Yang

Hey,

This executable should read a config file (path to sorting routines, test data size etc.), perform tests on different sorting routines, and output the result.

Kefan

> If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable

> under the src/bin/ folder just like pgbench?

What would this executable do, exactly?

--

Robert Haas

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

RE: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Kefan Yang

Thank you for the feedback!

I think Slack would be great for our communication

> My name is Kefan Yang. I am so excited that my proposal ‘Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking 2018’ has been accepted.

Welcome! I'm also glad you've chosen this project.

> I see on the Wiki page that you can mentor this proposal.

Yes, we with Atri Sharma will mentor this project.

> This is what I’ve done in these few days:

>      • I’ve carefully read through Submit a Patch and have a basic understanding of the submission process.

Cool!

>      • I’ve set up the environment and ready to code. The sorting routine is kind of separated from other modules so I don’t need much time to get familiar with the code base. If things go smoothly, I can start coding ahead of schedule

Great!

> Now I have some questions:

>      • If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable  under the src/bin/ folder just like pgbench?

Well, I think it is up to you how to make reproducible, precise and correct benchmarking :)

You can make exec (we will not have to merge it into PG, we need just results), or you can make Postgres extension (it is much easier) which will be executed from psql.

>      • Do you, or other community members, have any suggestions about the final version of proposal?

As far as I know, proposal cannot be modified. Actual work can be slightly adjusted though.

>      • Are there any specific thing you expect me to do during this community bonding period?

Let's establish communication. You can also build PostgreSQL from git and try pgbench (tool for benchmarking overall performance). Read something about TPC-(A,B,C) and YCSB, and may be even read something about sysbench.

I can think of following mediums of communications:

1. Slack channel

2. Telegram chat

3. Skype chat

4. E-mail

Atri, Kefar, how do you think, which of these will do best for us?

Best re

Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Andrey Borodin

> 27 апр. 2018 г., в 23:23, Kefan Yang <starordust@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> I think Slack would be great for our communication

Here's Slack invite app http://postgres-slack.herokuapp.com/
Should we create a channel for this project?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Atri Sharma
Дата:
+1 For Slack

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 09:52 Andrey Borodin, <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> 27 апр. 2018 г., в 23:23, Kefan Yang <starordust@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> I think Slack would be great for our communication

Here's Slack invite app http://postgres-slack.herokuapp.com/
Should we create a channel for this project?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

RE: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От
Kefan Yang

Hey,

I’ve joined the workspace. The username is Kefan Yang

I agree we can create a channel for this project