Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: GSoC 2018: Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

> 26 апр. 2018 г., в 0:12, Kefan Yang <starordust@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> My name is Kefan Yang. I am so excited that my proposal ‘Sorting Algorithm and Benchmarking 2018’ has been accepted.
Welcome! I'm also glad you've chosen this project.

> I see on the Wiki page that you can mentor this proposal.
Yes, we with Atri Sharma will mentor this project.

> This is what I’ve done in these few days:
>     • I’ve carefully read through Submit a Patch and have a basic understanding of the submission process.
Cool!
>     • I’ve set up the environment and ready to code. The sorting routine is kind of separated from other modules so I
don’tneed much time to get familiar with the code base. If things go smoothly, I can start coding ahead of schedule
Great!
> Now I have some questions:
>     • If I understand it correctly, the sorting benchmark should be an executable  under the src/bin/ folder just
likepgbench?
Well, I think it is up to you how to make reproducible, precise and correct benchmarking :)
You can make exec (we will not have to merge it into PG, we need just results), or you can make Postgres extension (it
ismuch easier) which will be executed from psql.
>     • Do you, or other community members, have any suggestions about the final version of proposal?
As far as I know, proposal cannot be modified. Actual work can be slightly adjusted though.
>     • Are there any specific thing you expect me to do during this community bonding period?

Let's establish communication. You can also build PostgreSQL from git and try pgbench (tool for benchmarking overall
performance).Read something about TPC-(A,B,C) and YCSB, and may be even read something about sysbench.
I can think of following mediums of communications:
1. Slack channel
2. Telegram chat
3. Skype chat
4. E-mail

Atri, Kefar, how do you think, which of these will do best for us?

Best re

От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: Expression errors with "FOR UPDATE" and postgres_fdw withpartition wise join enabled.
От: Andrew Gierth
Сообщение: Re: Is there a memory leak in commit 8561e48?