Обсуждение: armhf platform

armhf platform

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to contribute by building packages for all supported versions
on armhf (Raspbian) platform. My main OS is Debian stretch, but I can try to
have earlier versions installed if needed.

I do not know where and whom to contact so posting in here.

Thanks & regards,

Ertan Küçükoğlu

Re: armhf platform

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Ertan Küçükoğlu 2018-04-21 <026101d3d920$1a0173c0$4e045b40$@1nar.com.tr>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to contribute by building packages for all supported versions
> on armhf (Raspbian) platform. My main OS is Debian stretch, but I can try to
> have earlier versions installed if needed.

Hi Ertan,

at the moment we are building packages for all distributions and
architectures synchronously, i.e. from a single "matrix" job in
Jenkins. For this to scale for armhf, we would need to know how long
building typical packages takes on that platform.

Could you give building postgresql-10 from the .dsc a try and time it?
How many builds (e.g. for sid,buster,stretch,jessie) can you run in
parallel, and how long does that take?

(Also, why armhf, and not arm64?)

Christoph

RE: armhf platform

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
>Hi Ertan,
>
>at the moment we are building packages for all distributions and architectures synchronously, i.e. from a single
"matrix"job in >Jenkins. For this to scale for armhf, we would need to know how long building typical packages takes on
thatplatform.

>Could you give building postgresql-10 from the .dsc a try and time it?
>How many builds (e.g. for sid,buster,stretch,jessie) can you run in parallel, and how long does that take?
>
>(Also, why armhf, and not arm64?)
>
>Christoph

Hello,

I can run single build for a given OS version. Raspberry Pi does not have very powerful CPU. I am using stretch as my
mainOS now. I need to change SDCard (Raspberry Pi runs on an SDCard or USB) in order to boot for another OS version
likejessie. But, if it is possible to build for jessie when running in stretch, I can try to do that.

I will need some help as I did not build PostgreSQL (any version) from sources before. I have some knowledge about
buildingapplications from source code. Just no experience with PostgreSQL.

Should I use SVN or similar to get sources for PostgreSQL 10? Some readme link would be fine for me to try building
postgresql-10from .dsc and get timing for it.

I am developing some commercial applications on Raspberry Pi. I also use Raspberry Pi for testing my new code and then
Ideploy it to production including database. I very much wanted to use PostgreSQL 10 in my latest work, but even
stretchversion support only 9.6.x as binary install from apt at the moment. I did not try to work on source build just
becauseI do not feel comfortable about it.

I have armhf platform and no arm64 available. After I see that postgresql latest versions are available (not from
debiandomain, but from postgresql domain) I wanted to have it available for myself and help others who need it as I do.

Re: armhf platform

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Ertan Küçükoğlu 2018-04-21 <02a301d3d947$a21f9300$e65eb900$@1nar.com.tr>
> I can run single build for a given OS version. Raspberry Pi does not have very powerful CPU. I am using stretch as my
mainOS now. I need to change SDCard (Raspberry Pi runs on an SDCard or USB) in order to boot for another OS version
likejessie. But, if it is possible to build for jessie when running in stretch, I can try to do that.

We use "chroot"s for building for multiple targets on one host.
(See "schroot" and "sbuild".)

> I will need some help as I did not build PostgreSQL (any version) from sources before. I have some knowledge about
buildingapplications from source code. Just no experience with PostgreSQL.

> Should I use SVN or similar to get sources for PostgreSQL 10? Some readme link would be fine for me to try building
postgresql-10from .dsc and get timing for it.

"apt-get source postgresql-10". The repo is stored in git, but using
the source package is good enough to get started.

Christoph

RE: armhf platform

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
>We use "chroot"s for building for multiple targets on one host.
>(See "schroot" and "sbuild".)
I will probably need to get some help on these even after my research. I will see how I can manage to install them on
mysystem first as there are no such commands in my system that I could find.

>"apt-get source postgresql-10". The repo is stored in git, but using the source package is good enough to get started.
It takes roughly following timings on my system:
./configure: 2 minutes
make all: 30 minutes
did not run "make install"

Re: armhf platform

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Ertan Küçükoğlu 2018-04-21 <02c401d3d96e$2539a0c0$6face240$@1nar.com.tr>
> >"apt-get source postgresql-10". The repo is stored in git, but using the source package is good enough to get
started.
> It takes roughly following timings on my system:
> ./configure: 2 minutes
> make all: 30 minutes
> did not run "make install"

You'd need to run "make check-world".

Christoph

RE: armhf platform

От
Ertan Küçükoğlu
Дата:
> You'd need to run "make check-world".

It takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to complete. I do not see any error messages raised. Is there any particular
checksto be done in the log generated?

BTW, I installed "schroot" and "sbuild" using apt-get on my system. Just have no experience setting them up for
differentOS and PostgreSQL versions.