Обсуждение: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

От
Konstantin Knizhnik
Дата:
Hi hackers,

I wonder if the following behavior is considered to be a bug in plpgsql
or it is expected result:

create table my_data(id serial primary key, time timestamp, type text);

create or replace function my_insert(type text) RETURNS BOOLEAN
AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
     insert into my_data (time, type) values (now(), type);
     return true;
END
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

create or replace function my_call_insert() RETURNS BOOLEAN
AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
   b boolean;
BEGIN
     select into b from my_insert('from func atx');
     return b;
END
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

select my_call_insert();
  my_call_insert
----------------

(1 row)

So, if function returning boolean is used in from list, then no error or
warning is produced, but null value is assigned to the target variable.
If this code is rewritten in more natural way:

     b := my_insert('from func atx');
or
    select my_insert('from func atx') into b;

then function returns expected result (true).
I spent some time investigating this code under debugger and looks like
the reason of the problem is that tuple descriptor for the row returned
by my_insert() contains no columns (number of attributes is zero). May
be there are some reasons for such behavior, but I find it quite
confusing and unnatural. I prefer to report error in this case or return
tuple with single column, containing return value of the function.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hello

> select into b from my_insert('from func atx');
You missed select something into b. For example,
select ret into b from my_insert('from func atx') as ret;

Using scalar function in from is not bug.
Silent assigning NULL for variables in "into" not matches same in "select"... I think better would be raise warning.

regards, Sergei

On 09.02.2018 10:47, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
>> select into b from my_insert('from func atx');
> You missed select something into b. For example,
> select ret into b from my_insert('from func atx') as ret;
>
> Using scalar function in from is not bug.
> Silent assigning NULL for variables in "into" not matches same in "select"... I think better would be raise warning.
>
> regards, Sergei
Thank you.
Really the problem is caused by empty source list for INTO.
If I rewrite query as

     select my_insert into b from my_insert('from func atx');

then it works as expected.
But I wonder if the original statement should be considered as error or
at least we should produce warning for such empty projections?

--

On 09.02.2018 11:02, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 09.02.2018 10:47, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>>> select into b from my_insert('from func atx');
>> You missed select something into b. For example,
>> select ret into b from my_insert('from func atx') as ret;
>>
>> Using scalar function in from is not bug.
>> Silent assigning NULL for variables in "into" not matches same in
>> "select"... I think better would be raise warning.
>>
>> regards, Sergei
> Thank you.
> Really the problem is caused by empty source list for INTO.
> If I rewrite query as
>
>     select my_insert into b from my_insert('from func atx');
>
> then it works as expected.
> But I wonder if the original statement should be considered as error
> or at least we should produce warning for such empty projections?

Attached please find patch reporting error in case of empty attribute
list for SELECT INTO.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

On 09.02.2018 11:58, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

[...]

Sorry, this patch doesn't correctly handle case:

SELECT INTO [STRICT] target select_expressions FROM ...;

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

От
Marko Tiikkaja
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Attached please find patch reporting error in case of empty attribute list for SELECT INTO

This is quite short-sighted.  The better way to do this is to complain if the number of expressions is different from the number of target variables (and the target variable is not a record-ish type).  There's been at least two patches for this earlier (one my me, and one by, I think Pavel Stehule).  I urge you to dig around in the archives to avoid wasting your time.

.m

Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

От
Pavel Stehule

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Attached please find patch reporting error in case of empty attribute list for SELECT INTO

This is quite short-sighted.  The better way to do this is to complain if the number of expressions is different from the number of target variables (and the target variable is not a record-ish type).  There's been at least two patches for this earlier (one my me, and one by, I think Pavel Stehule).  I urge you to dig around in the archives to avoid wasting your time.

This issue can be detected by plpgsql_check and commitfest pipe is patch that raise warning or error in this case.

Regards

Pavel

.m

Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

Дата:
>> This is quite short-sighted.  The better way to do this is to complain if
>> the number of expressions is different from the number of target variables
>> (and the target variable is not a record-ish type).  There's been at least
>> two patches for this earlier (one my me, and one by, I think Pavel
>> Stehule).  I urge you to dig around in the archives to avoid wasting your
>> time.

> This issue can be detected by plpgsql_check and commitfest pipe is patch
> that raise warning or error in this case.

I think the issue basically arises from this concern in exec_move_row:

     * Row is a bit more complicated in that we assign the individual
     * attributes of the tuple to the variables the row points to.
     *
     * NOTE: this code used to demand row->nfields ==
     * HeapTupleHeaderGetNatts(tup->t_data), but that's wrong.  The tuple
     * might have more fields than we expected if it's from an
     * inheritance-child table of the current table, or it might have fewer if
     * the table has had columns added by ALTER TABLE. Ignore extra columns
     * and assume NULL for missing columns, the same as heap_getattr would do.
     * We also have to skip over dropped columns in either the source or
     * destination.

As things stand today, we would have a hard time tightening that up
without producing unwanted complaints about the cases mentioned in
this comment, because the DTYPE_ROW logic is used for both "INTO a,b,c"
and composite-type variables.  However, my pending patch at
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/17/1439/
gets rid of the use of DTYPE_ROW for composite types, and once that
is in it might well be reasonable to just throw a flat-out error for
wrong number of source values for a DTYPE_ROW target.  I can't
immediately think of any good reason why you'd want to allow for
the number of INTO items not matching what the query produces.

            regards, tom lane

I wrote:
> I think the issue basically arises from this concern in exec_move_row:

>      * NOTE: this code used to demand row->nfields ==
>      * HeapTupleHeaderGetNatts(tup->t_data), but that's wrong.  The tuple
>      * might have more fields than we expected if it's from an
>      * inheritance-child table of the current table, or it might have fewer if
>      * the table has had columns added by ALTER TABLE.

BTW, this comment is very old, dating to commit 8bb3c8fe5, which was