Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?
Дата
Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?
Список pgsql-hackers
>> This is quite short-sighted.  The better way to do this is to complain if
>> the number of expressions is different from the number of target variables
>> (and the target variable is not a record-ish type).  There's been at least
>> two patches for this earlier (one my me, and one by, I think Pavel
>> Stehule).  I urge you to dig around in the archives to avoid wasting your
>> time.

> This issue can be detected by plpgsql_check and commitfest pipe is patch
> that raise warning or error in this case.

I think the issue basically arises from this concern in exec_move_row:

     * Row is a bit more complicated in that we assign the individual
     * attributes of the tuple to the variables the row points to.
     *
     * NOTE: this code used to demand row->nfields ==
     * HeapTupleHeaderGetNatts(tup->t_data), but that's wrong.  The tuple
     * might have more fields than we expected if it's from an
     * inheritance-child table of the current table, or it might have fewer if
     * the table has had columns added by ALTER TABLE. Ignore extra columns
     * and assume NULL for missing columns, the same as heap_getattr would do.
     * We also have to skip over dropped columns in either the source or
     * destination.

As things stand today, we would have a hard time tightening that up
without producing unwanted complaints about the cases mentioned in
this comment, because the DTYPE_ROW logic is used for both "INTO a,b,c"
and composite-type variables.  However, my pending patch at
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/17/1439/
gets rid of the use of DTYPE_ROW for composite types, and once that
is in it might well be reasonable to just throw a flat-out error for
wrong number of source values for a DTYPE_ROW target.  I can't
immediately think of any good reason why you'd want to allow for
the number of INTO items not matching what the query produces.