Обсуждение: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Ildus Kurbangaliev
Дата:
Hi,

Attached patch introduces prefix operator ^@ for text type. For 'a ^@ b'
it returns true if 'a' starts with 'b'. Also there is spgist index
support for this operator.

It could be useful as an alternative for LIKE for 'something%'
templates. Or even used in LIKE queries instead of ~>=~ and ~<~ in the
future. But it would require new strategy for btree.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev

Вложения

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Arthur Zakirov
Дата:
Hello,

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 06:03:27PM +0300, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patch introduces prefix operator ^@ for text type. For 'a ^@ b'
> it returns true if 'a' starts with 'b'. Also there is spgist index
> support for this operator.
>
> It could be useful as an alternative for LIKE for 'something%'
> templates. Or even used in LIKE queries instead of ~>=~ and ~<~ in the
> future. But it would require new strategy for btree.

I've looked at the patch. It is applied and tests pass.

I have a couple comments:

> +    if (ptype == Pattern_Type_Prefix)
> +    {
> +        char    *s = TextDatumGetCString(constval);
> +        prefix = string_to_const(s, vartype);
> +        pstatus = Pattern_Prefix_Partial;
> +        rest_selec = 1.0;    /* all */
> +        pfree(s);
> +    }
> +    else
> +        pstatus = pattern_fixed_prefix(patt, ptype, collation,
> +                                       &prefix, &rest_selec);

I think it is better to put Pattern_Type_Prefix processing into
pattern_fixed_prefix() as another case entry.

Secondly, it is worth to fix the documentation. At least here [1]. Maybe
there are another places where documentation should be fixed.

1 - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/spgist-builtin-opclasses.html

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Ildus Kurbangaliev
Дата:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:06:51 +0300
Arthur Zakirov <a.zakirov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 06:03:27PM +0300, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached patch introduces prefix operator ^@ for text type. For 'a
> > ^@ b' it returns true if 'a' starts with 'b'. Also there is spgist
> > index support for this operator.
> >
> > It could be useful as an alternative for LIKE for 'something%'
> > templates. Or even used in LIKE queries instead of ~>=~ and ~<~ in
> > the future. But it would require new strategy for btree.
>
> I've looked at the patch. It is applied and tests pass.

Hi, thanks for the review.

> I have a couple comments:
>
> > +    if (ptype == Pattern_Type_Prefix)
> > +    {
> > +        char    *s = TextDatumGetCString(constval);
> > +        prefix = string_to_const(s, vartype);
> > +        pstatus = Pattern_Prefix_Partial;
> > +        rest_selec = 1.0;    /* all */
> > +        pfree(s);
> > +    }
> > +    else
> > +        pstatus = pattern_fixed_prefix(patt, ptype,
> > collation,
> > +
> > &prefix, &rest_selec);
>
> I think it is better to put Pattern_Type_Prefix processing into
> pattern_fixed_prefix() as another case entry.

At brief look at this place seems better to move this block into
pattern_fixed_prefix function. But there is also `vartype` variable
which used to in prefix construction, and it would require pass this
variable too. And since pattern_fixed_prefix called in 10 other places
and vartype is required only for this ptype it seems better just keep
this block outside of this function.

> Secondly, it is worth to fix the documentation. At least here [1].
> Maybe there are another places where documentation should be fixed.
>

> 1 -
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/spgist-builtin-opclasses.html

I've added documentation in current version of the patch.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev
Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Arthur Zakirov
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 05:19:15PM +0300, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> At brief look at this place seems better to move this block into
> pattern_fixed_prefix function. But there is also `vartype` variable
> which used to in prefix construction, and it would require pass this
> variable too. And since pattern_fixed_prefix called in 10 other places
> and vartype is required only for this ptype it seems better just keep
> this block outside of this function.

Understood.

> I've added documentation in current version of the patch.

Thank you.

Can you rebase the patch due to changes within pg_proc.h?

Also here

+   <para>
+    There is also the prefix operator <literal>^@</literal> and corresponding
+    <literal>text_startswith</literal> function which covers cases when only
+    searching by beginning of the string is needed.
+   </para>

I think text_startswith should be enclosed with the <function> tag. I'm
not sure, but I think <literal> used for operators, keywords, etc. I
haven't found a manual which describes how to use tags, but after looking
at the documentation where <function> is used, I think that for function
<function> should be used.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Ildus Kurbangaliev
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 19:27:21 +0300
Arthur Zakirov <a.zakirov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 05:19:15PM +0300, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> > At brief look at this place seems better to move this block into
> > pattern_fixed_prefix function. But there is also `vartype` variable
> > which used to in prefix construction, and it would require pass this
> > variable too. And since pattern_fixed_prefix called in 10 other
> > places and vartype is required only for this ptype it seems better
> > just keep this block outside of this function.
>
> Understood.
>
> > I've added documentation in current version of the patch.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Can you rebase the patch due to changes within pg_proc.h?
>
> Also here
>
> +   <para>
> +    There is also the prefix operator <literal>^@</literal> and
> corresponding
> +    <literal>text_startswith</literal> function which covers cases
> when only
> +    searching by beginning of the string is needed.
> +   </para>
>
> I think text_startswith should be enclosed with the <function> tag.
> I'm not sure, but I think <literal> used for operators, keywords,
> etc. I haven't found a manual which describes how to use tags, but
> after looking at the documentation where <function> is used, I think
> that for function <function> should be used.

Hi, thanks for the review. I've fixed documentation as you said and
also rebased to current master.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev
Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
Hi!

Patch looks resonable, but I see some place to improvement:
spg_text_leaf_consistent() only needs to check with text_startswith() if
reconstucted value came to leaf consistent is shorter than given prefix. For
example, if level >= length of prefix then we guarantee that fully reconstracted
is matched too. But do not miss that you may need to return value for index only
scan, consult returnData field

In attachment rebased and minorly edited version of your patch.

                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Вложения

Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата: