Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support

От Arthur Zakirov
Тема Re: Prefix operator for text and spgist support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 06:03:27PM +0300, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patch introduces prefix operator ^@ for text type. For 'a ^@ b'
> it returns true if 'a' starts with 'b'. Also there is spgist index
> support for this operator.
>
> It could be useful as an alternative for LIKE for 'something%'
> templates. Or even used in LIKE queries instead of ~>=~ and ~<~ in the
> future. But it would require new strategy for btree.

I've looked at the patch. It is applied and tests pass.

I have a couple comments:

> +    if (ptype == Pattern_Type_Prefix)
> +    {
> +        char    *s = TextDatumGetCString(constval);
> +        prefix = string_to_const(s, vartype);
> +        pstatus = Pattern_Prefix_Partial;
> +        rest_selec = 1.0;    /* all */
> +        pfree(s);
> +    }
> +    else
> +        pstatus = pattern_fixed_prefix(patt, ptype, collation,
> +                                       &prefix, &rest_selec);

I think it is better to put Pattern_Type_Prefix processing into
pattern_fixed_prefix() as another case entry.

Secondly, it is worth to fix the documentation. At least here [1]. Maybe
there are another places where documentation should be fixed.

1 - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/spgist-builtin-opclasses.html

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company