Обсуждение: Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture

Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture

От
Dave Page
Дата:
All,

As you may know, the most troublesome part of pgAdmin 4 has been the desktop runtime application, which has relied on QtWebKit and QtWebEngine (of various origins and versions) to render the UI as part of the Qt framework.

This has caused performance issues, rendering issues with remote desktop sessions, keyboard navigation issues and more. It probably accounts for 25% or more of the bugs reports we deal with.

Unfortunately, whilst there are alternatives to Qt for this purpose, none that we've found are mature enough for our purposes, and would require a significant amount of effort to add the features we would need to support pgAdmin.

I've therefore been experimenting with another approach in which pgAdmin is rendered in a regular web browser when running in desktop mode. Like some other similar applications, a server process is launched and lives in the system tray, from where it can be shutdown at any time, or new windows opened. When it is first started, it will launch a browser window to render pgAdmin automatically. If additional instances are launched, the previously running instance will be re-used to avoid wasting resources.

This is a proof of concept at the moment, for which I would appreciate any feedback. Windows and Mac builds can be found here:

and the GIT branch can be found here:

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
Dave,

I just installed the browser version of PgAdmin 4 desktop. Excellent! It starts up almost
immediately and is very responsive. So plus one upvote for this make.

Melvin Davidson 🎸
www.youtube.com/unusedhero/videos
Folk Alley - All Folk - 24 Hours a day
www.folkalley.com

[...]

Дата:
[...]

Mark Watson

Runs great on Windows 10 x64 with Chrome browser and popups enabled.

-          Mark Watson

[...]

McDonaldR

Yes, I can confirm it works on Win 7 Enterprise 64 bit.  I’ll test on Win 10 Enterprise 64 bit tomorrow.  Be interesting to see if it will show notifications on the Win 10 box.

I’ll test some more tomorrow and send any feedback.

Thanks for all the effort.

Ross

Ross McDonald | GIS Data Coordinator | Angus Council, People, IT | Angus House, Orchardbank Business Park, Sylvie Way, Forfar DD8 1AT | t: 01307 476419

[...]

This message is strictly confidential. If you have received this in error, please inform the sender and remove it from your system. If received in error you may not copy, print, forward or use it or any attachment in any way. This message is not capable of creating a legal contract or a binding representation and does not represent the views of Angus Council. Emails may be monitored for security and network management reasons. Messages containing inappropriate content may be intercepted. Angus Council does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient system or data on it by this message or any attachment.

[...]

Doug Easterbrook
Дата:
I had a look — running it on Safari/OSX/High Sierra.

it started fast and seemed responsive.

I couldn’t get it to start a SQL query session to put in some query to see how that went, bu I did click on a bunch of other things and it seemed very responsive.. which is what you want to know.

I was able to put the URL into another tab and have two copies running.  that was easy enough.

Without a bunch of hoopla, I couldn’t get it to run in firefox or chrome to see how that might run.

and it seems like it needs to be started from the app —  as I couldn’t just stick the URL into second browser.

the end goal — is use the browser.

I”m not sure if that means I’ll be able to bookmark the URL and then just use it locally.   if so… that might be nice.

and getting a SQL session in another browser applicaiton .. that would be good too.

just my thoughts.

Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
Phone (403) 650-1978

see you at the third annual users conference

[...]

Вложения

Re: Request for feedback: Alternate desktop runtime architecture

От
"microsys.gr microsys.gr"
Дата:
TESTING WEB-BASED pgAdmin
SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro Version 1709, 12GB RAM, SSD 525GB, Intel Core i7

Disappointment,

The framework may be a 10% faster, not noticeable really

The two bugs I emailed the last couple of days remain exactly the same.

For example, on a very large database, when I View/Edit > All Rows speed is exactly the same on both apps.

When I click on the grid header both apps hung.

- The desktop crashes.

- The web-based app loose connection with the server and exit the page. When I try to view all rows again display the following message

‘Query Tool Initialization Error’

Same bugs on both apps. Is that mean that the problem exist in common source code???

The second bug is when I open table properties > Columns tab form on a database with 217 columns.

This is as slow as the desktop app. About 100 secs.

I am a delphi programmer. I can accomplish both tasks in my applications working on the same database in less than 1.5 sec.

I work on the same database on MSSQL version also. I can accomplish same connection speed and data retrieve equivalent to the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

I believe that the problem could be in the code connecting to the server and retrieving data. Not the UI itself.

Hope I helped a bit.

[...]

Seçkin Alan
Дата:
Hi Folks,

I think, pgadmin4 not need new architecture. It must even be a server running on the machine (on windows system tray like a wamp server, on mac like a docker).

Yes, I know user experience is different until now. But modern browsers handle this work.

I think, chromium embedded could be a good way to do this for example.

[...]

"Barrington-Hughes, Alan"

Thanks Dave for positing this different approach to eliminate some of the Qt rendering overhead.

I can say, running on a 2017 mac book pro (10.13.2), the speed improvement is noticeable. The increased speed that tree nodes expand and result grids present are very appreciated.

I am hoping that a next step would be present the UI loaded from 1.27.0.0.1 within a pgAdmin4 branded window, as Command-Tabbing to pgAdmin4 is preferable to finding a Safari window amongst the numerous Safari windows/tabs I usually have open.

Keep up the good work and thanks!

Alan

[...]

EnterpriseDB UK:
http://www.enterprisedb.com
[...]

Paolo Saudin

Hi Dave,

runs fine on Windows 10 64bit machine

Paolo

[...]

Дата:
Hi

I had a look — running it on Safari/OSX/High Sierra.

it started fast and seemed responsive.

I couldn’t get it to start a SQL query session to put in some query to see how that went, bu I did click on a bunch of other things and it seemed very responsive.. which is what you want to know.

If you can't start a SQL query session, that's a concern - though the changes in the runtime shouldn't actually affect that at all. What happens if you try to open the query tool?

I was able to put the URL into another tab and have two copies running.  that was easy enough.

Without a bunch of hoopla, I couldn’t get it to run in firefox or chrome to see how that might run.

Yeah, you'd have to change your default browser in the OS. I am adding an option to allow you to specify an alternate command line to execute.

and it seems like it needs to be started from the app —  as I couldn’t just stick the URL into second browser.

You should be able to start it from the app, or from the Applications folder (it should detect it's already running and just open a new window). Sticking the URL in another window won't work - that's intentional; it's to stop another user on your machine connecting to your instance of the app. When the window is first opened, a security key is passed in, and that won't happen if subsequent URLs are opened manually.

the end goal — is use the browser.

I”m not sure if that means I’ll be able to bookmark the URL and then just use it locally.   if so… that might be nice.

At the moment the security key and use of a random port would prevent that. It sounds like you want to run in true server mode, which would do what you want (but add username/password login to the app to replace the port/key based security).

and getting a SQL session in another browser applicaiton .. that would be good too.

File -> Preferences -> SQL Editor -> Display -> Open in new browser tab

(ignoring the issue you noted about the query tool not working)

[...]

I wouldn't expect either of those issues to be affected by this change.

I am a delphi programmer. I can accomplish both tasks in my applications working on the same database in less than 1.5 sec.

I work on the same database on MSSQL version also. I can accomplish same connection speed and data retrieve equivalent to the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

I believe that the problem could be in the code connecting to the server and retrieving data. Not the UI itself.

Right.

Thanks!

Hope I helped a bit.

[...]

Anthony DeBarros

Hi, Dave,

I've been testing this on macOS High Sierra for a few days. Overall, very positive feedback. The app seems fast, and I've experience no glitches yet.

One minor point:

In the desktop app, hovering the mouse over a cell of type "text" will show a tool tip with all text in that cell (e.g. the overflow that's not visible). That's missing in the web app.

Aside from that, I'm not seeing anything here of concern. Nice job.

Anthony

[...]

Дата:
Hi

I've been testing this on macOS High Sierra for a few days. Overall, very positive feedback. The app seems fast, and I've experience no glitches yet.

Great, thanks for testing.

One minor point:

In the desktop app, hovering the mouse over a cell of type "text" will show a tool tip with all text in that cell (e.g. the overflow that's not visible). That's missing in the web app.

It works for me in Chrome (on Sierra). What browser are you using?

[...]

Дата:
Hi