Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

[GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"

Hello,

I am migrating a database from MS SQL Server to Postgres.

I have a column named "discount" of type money in SQL Server.  I created the table in Postgres with the same name and type, since Postgres has a type named money, and am transferring the data by using PDI (Pentaho Data Integration) Kettle/Spoon.

Kettle throws an error though:  column "discount" is of type money but expression is of type double precision.

The value in the offending insert is:  0.0

Why does Postgres decide that 0.0 is "double precision" (which is a weird name in my opinion -- why can't it just be double) and not money?

I have control over the SELECT but not over the INSERT.  Is there any way to set the cast the value on the SELECT side in MS SQL Server to specify the column type of Postgres-money?

The only solution I found is to set the column in Postgres to DOUBLE PRECISION instead of MONEY, but I'm not sure if there are negative side effects to that?

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

Дата:
"Igal @ Lucee.org" <igal@lucee.org> writes:
> I have a column named "discount" of type money in SQL Server.  I created
> the table in Postgres with the same name and type, since Postgres has a
> type named money, and am transferring the data by using PDI (Pentaho
> Data Integration) Kettle/Spoon.

> Kettle throws an error though:  column "discount" is of type money but
> expression is of type double precision.

> The value in the offending insert is:  0.0

> Why does Postgres decide that 0.0 is "double precision" (which is a
> weird name in my opinion -- why can't it just be double) and not money?

Kettle must be telling it that --- on its own, PG would think '0.0'
is numeric, which it does have a cast to money for.

regression=# create table m (m1 money);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into m values (0.0);
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into m values (0.0::numeric);
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into m values (0.0::float8);
ERROR:  column "m1" is of type money but expression is of type double precision
LINE 1: insert into m values (0.0::float8);                             ^
HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

You'll need to look at the client-side code to see where it's going wrong.

> The only solution I found is to set the column in Postgres to DOUBLE
> PRECISION instead of MONEY, but I'm not sure if there are negative side
> effects to that?

Well, it's imprecise.  Most people don't like that when it comes to
monetary amounts.

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
Kettle throws an error though:  column "discount" is of type money but expression is of type double precision.

The value in the offending insert is:  0.0

Why does Postgres decide that 0.0 is "double precision" (which is a weird name in my opinion -- why can't it just be double) and not money?

The lack of quotes surrounding the value is significant.  Money input requires a string literal.  Only (more or less) integer and double literal values can be written without the single quotes.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
Allan Kamau

                              ^
HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

You'll need to look at the client-side code to see where it's going wrong.

> The only solution I found is to set the column in Postgres to DOUBLE
> PRECISION instead of MONEY, but I'm not sure if there are negative side
> effects to that?

Well, it's imprecise.  Most people don't like that when it comes to
monetary amounts.

Could try using NUMERIC datatype for such a field.

Allan

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"
Дата:
Thank you all for your help:

The value in the offending insert is:  0.0

Why does Postgres decide that 0.0 is "double precision" (which is a
weird name in my opinion -- why can't it just be double) and not money?
Kettle must be telling it that --- on its own, PG would think '0.0'
is numeric, which it does have a cast to money for.

Looks like you are correct.  Kettle shows me the INSERT statement and when I execute it outside of Kettle (in a regular SQL client), the INSERT succeeds.

The lack of quotes surrounding the value is significant.  Money input requires a string literal.  Only (more or less) integer and double literal values can be written without the single quotes.

That didn't work.  I CAST'ed the value in the SELECT to VARCHAR(16) but all it did was change the error message to say that it expected `money` but received `character varying`.

     Well, it's imprecise.  Most people don't like that when it comes to
     monetary amounts.

 Could try using NUMERIC datatype for such a field.

That worked.  I have set the column type to NUMERIC(10, 2) and it seemed to have worked fine.  I am not dealing with large amounts here, so 10 digits is plenty.

This is a "staging" phase where I first import the data into Postgres and then I will move it into the permanent tables in the next phase, so even taking it as VARHCAR would have been OK.  I just worried about using FLOAT/DOUBLE, and Tom confirmed that that was the wrong way to go.

Thanks again,

[...]

Maybe using NUMERIC without explicitly stating the precision is recommended. This would allow for values with many decimal places to be accepted without truncation. Your field may need to capture very small values such as those in bitcoin trading or some banking fee or interest.

Allan.

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"
Дата:
Maybe using NUMERIC without explicitly stating the precision is recommended. This would allow for values with many decimal places to be accepted without truncation. Your field may need to capture very small values such as those in bitcoin trading or some banking fee or interest.

That's a very good idea.  For some reason I thought that I tried that earlier and it didn't work as expected, but I just tested it (again?) and it seems to work well, so that's what I'll do.

Thank you,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"
Дата:
On 11/8/2017 6:25 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 11/8/2017 5:27 PM, Allan Kamau wrote:
>> Maybe using NUMERIC without explicitly stating the precision is
>> recommended. This would allow for values with many decimal places to
>> be accepted without truncation. Your field may need to capture very
>> small values such as those in bitcoin trading or some banking fee or
>> interest.
>
> That's a very good idea.  For some reason I thought that I tried that
> earlier and it didn't work as expected, but I just tested it (again?)
> and it seems to work well, so that's what I'll do.

Another weird thing that I noticed:

On another column, "total_charged", that was migrated properly as a
`money` type, when I run `sum(total_charged::money)` I get `null`, but
if I cast it to numeric, i.e. `sum(total_charged::numeric)`, I get the
expected sum result.

Is there a logical explanation to that?

Igal