Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Adam Brusselback
<adambrusselback@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since you are migrating data into a staging table in PostgreSQL, you may set
>> the field data type as TEXT for each field where you have noticed or
>> anticipate issues.
>> Then after population perform the datatype transformation query on the given
>> fields to determine the actual field value that could not be gracefully
>> transformed.
>
> This is the approach I have come to as the most successful for data migrations.
>
> I will use tools like Kettle / Talend to get data into a staging table
> with every column as text, then use SQL to migrate that to a properly
> typed table.  Works much better than trying to work within the
> constraints of these tools.

YES

I call the approach 'ELT', (Extract, Load, Trasform).  You are much
better off writing transformations in SQL than inside of an ETL tool.
This is a perfect example of why.

merlin