Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres

От Igal @ Lucee.org
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Migrating money column from MS SQL Server to Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/8/2017 6:25 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 11/8/2017 5:27 PM, Allan Kamau wrote:
>> Maybe using NUMERIC without explicitly stating the precision is
>> recommended. This would allow for values with many decimal places to
>> be accepted without truncation. Your field may need to capture very
>> small values such as those in bitcoin trading or some banking fee or
>> interest.
>
> That's a very good idea.  For some reason I thought that I tried that
> earlier and it didn't work as expected, but I just tested it (again?)
> and it seems to work well, so that's what I'll do.

Another weird thing that I noticed:

On another column, "total_charged", that was migrated properly as a
`money` type, when I run `sum(total_charged::money)` I get `null`, but
if I cast it to numeric, i.e. `sum(total_charged::numeric)`, I get the
expected sum result.

Is there a logical explanation to that?

Igal