Обсуждение: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Oleg Letsinsky
Дата:
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?

I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI script
which is a migration tool from old MySQL database format to a new PgSQL
database. So here is a quick summary of the situation.

MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full speed, the
script finishes its work in 20 minutes.

Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.

MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just a bit slower
(like 25 minutes)

In  both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD activity, etc. - two
databases raping poor windows XP workstation.

Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The process can
take  hours  to  complete.  Actually,  I  never  had a patience to see it
finished  -  last  time  I aborted the process after 2 hours and the damn
thing  just finished about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux
without  changing  anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
SP2  and  checked  again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25 minutes for
task  completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the problem came back. So  for me
it's quite obvious that SP2 has screwed up PgSQL  in  some  way.  I've
tried several web forums, IRC - so far nobody seems  to  get  into  the
same situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid enough
to try SP2 :)

Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a migration
script - it takes data from one database, changes it slightly and puts it
to another one, using simple inserts. Nothing special. Although
pg_restore seems to work just fine even under SP2, no performance
problems.

There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It experiences the
same performance hit, no difference at all.

Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 200GB SATA
Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy and data execution
prevention - again, nothing has changed. I'm out of ideas...

Thanks for any input

--
  Oleg Letsinsky,
  Software Developer

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Justin Wyer
Дата:
Oleg Letsinsky wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?
>
>I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI script
>which is a migration tool from old MySQL database format to a new PgSQL
>database. So here is a quick summary of the situation.
>
>MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full speed, the
>script finishes its work in 20 minutes.
>
>Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.
>
>MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just a bit slower
>(like 25 minutes)
>
>In  both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD activity, etc. - two
>databases raping poor windows XP workstation.
>
>Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The process can
>take  hours  to  complete.  Actually,  I  never  had a patience to see it
>finished  -  last  time  I aborted the process after 2 hours and the damn
>thing  just finished about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux
>without  changing  anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
>SP2  and  checked  again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25 minutes for
>task  completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the problem came back. So  for me
>it's quite obvious that SP2 has screwed up PgSQL  in  some  way.  I've
>tried several web forums, IRC - so far nobody seems  to  get  into  the
>same situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid enough
>to try SP2 :)

What is the CPU load under SP2?

>Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a migration
>script - it takes data from one database, changes it slightly and puts it
>to another one, using simple inserts. Nothing special. Although
>pg_restore seems to work just fine even under SP2, no performance
>problems.

If pg_restore works prehaps it is not a PostgreSQL problem....

>There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It experiences the
>same performance hit, no difference at all.
>
>Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 200GB SATA
>Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy and data execution
>prevention - again, nothing has changed. I'm out of ideas...

Try mod your script to dump back to the mysql database. Check if you get
weird performance issues doing that.
I think assuming it is PostgreSQL at this point is jumping the gun.
Maybe active states perl doesn't run so well on SP2, or it could even be
mysql.

>Thanks for any input

Pleasure

Regards
Justin

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?
>
> I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI
> script which is a migration tool from old MySQL database
> format to a new PgSQL database. So here is a quick summary of
> the situation.
>
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full
> speed, the script finishes its work in 20 minutes.
>
> Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.
>
> MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just
> a bit slower (like 25 minutes)
>
> In  both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD
> activity, etc. - two databases raping poor windows XP workstation.

Are both MySQL and PgSQL Win32 on the same machine, or two different
machines?

> Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The
> process can take  hours  to  complete.  Actually,  I  never
> had a patience to see it finished  -  last  time  I aborted
> the process after 2 hours and the damn thing  just finished
> about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux without
> changing  anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
> SP2  and  checked  again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25
> minutes for task  completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the
> problem came back. So  for me it's quite obvious that SP2 has
> screwed up PgSQL  in  some  way.  I've tried several web
> forums, IRC - so far nobody seems  to  get  into  the same
> situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid
> enough to try SP2 :)

Is the machine still pegged at 100% CPU, or is the CPU idle? What about
the I/O?

> Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a
> migration script - it takes data from one database, changes
> it slightly and puts it to another one, using simple inserts.
> Nothing special. Although pg_restore seems to work just fine
> even under SP2, no performance problems.

Does your script run with just one connection, or does it open new
connections often?

> There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It
> experiences the same performance hit, no difference at all.

Interesting.

> Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM,
> 200GB SATA Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy
> and data execution prevention - again, nothing has changed.
> I'm out of ideas...

With disable firewall I assume you mean disable completely, and not just
set "postgres can do whatevever it wants"? If not, disable it completely
:-)

Are you running any antivirus on the machine? If so, try uninstalling
that too. I've seen AV products behave pretty differently on SP1 and
SP2...

//Magnus

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Oleg Letsinsky
Дата:
Hi Magnus and everyone,

> Are both MySQL and PgSQL Win32 on the same machine, or two different
> machines?

They are on the same machine.

> Is the machine still pegged at 100% CPU, or is the CPU idle? What about
> the I/O?

Sorry for not mentioning this before - after SP2 installation CPU
utilization has dropped almost to zero. Even task manager consumes more
CPU than both BD's. But the HD activity is still quite high. I can send
perfmon log for CPU/Memory/Network/Physical Disk to anyone who
interested. 5 phases: database setup through psql/idle time/my script
works for a couple of minutes/idle/database restored through pg_restore.
Just 26 kb in bzip'ed form :)

> Does  your  script  run  with  just one connection, or does it open new
> connections often?

No, sure it creates DB connections on the start. TCPView confirms this -
no connection has been made since the start.

>> Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 200GB SATA
>> Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy  and data execution
>> prevention - again, nothing has changed.  I'm out of ideas...

> With disable firewall I assume you mean disable completely, and not just
> set "postgres can do whatevever it wants"? If not, disable it completely
> :-)

I even stopped and disabled the firewall service. Doesn't help much.

> Are you running any antivirus on the machine? If so, try uninstalling
> that too. I've seen AV products behave pretty differently on SP1 and
> SP2...

Tried that as well. Uninstalled TCPView Pro. Removed QoS from network
connections. Still nothing.

--
  Oleg Letsinsky,
  Software Developer

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Oleg Letsinsky
Дата:
Hi Justin,

> Try mod your script to dump back to the mysql database. Check if you
> get weird performance issues doing that. I think assuming it is
> PostgreSQL at this point is jumping the gun. Maybe active states perl
> doesn't run so well on SP2, or it could even be mysql.

I've tried cygwin perl as well. But the point is that I need just to
change the PgSQL connection string in the script so it points to my linux
machine - and the performance is back. Please see my reply to Magnus, I
added some new info there as well.

--
  Oleg Letsinsky,
  Software Developer

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
"Dave Page"

In your reply to Magnus though, you said that the win32 PostgreSQL and
MySQL are on the same machine - so you almost certainly would get much
better performance off-loading one of the DBMS's to a separate box.

Regards, Dave

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Oleg Letsinsky
Дата:
Hi Dave,

> In your reply to Magnus though, you said that the win32 PostgreSQL and
> MySQL are on the same machine - so you almost certainly would get much
> better performance off-loading one of the DBMS's to a separate box.

Sure, but unlikely that 10x faster. And the performance on a single Win32
box were *not* problematic until the SP2. I hope it's clear enough now.

--
  Oleg Letsinsky,
  Software Developer

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Are both MySQL and PgSQL Win32 on the same machine, or two
> different
> > machines?
>
> They are on the same machine.

Ok. Grasping at some straws here, this could possiblyi be related to the
context switch storm reported on unix platforms. Can you check the
counter for context switches in perfmon? (It's under "System"). It
shouldn't be directly related since it's just one postgres backend, but
still. And compare this value to when running with SP1.

> > Is the machine still pegged at 100% CPU, or is the CPU idle? What
> > about the I/O?
>
> Sorry for not mentioning this before - after SP2 installation
> CPU utilization has dropped almost to zero. Even task manager
> consumes more CPU than both BD's. But the HD activity is
> still quite high. I can send perfmon log for
> CPU/Memory/Network/Physical Disk to anyone who interested. 5
> phases: database setup through psql/idle time/my script works
> for a couple of minutes/idle/database restored through pg_restore.
> Just 26 kb in bzip'ed form :)

Does the machine otherwise appear sluggish when doing things that are
I/O bound, or can you do things like copy a large file at about the same
speed as when idle? Simple way to check if the I/O system is saturated.
I don't see why that would change with SP2, but...

> > Does  your  script  run  with  just one connection, or does it open
> > new connections often?
>
> No, sure it creates DB connections on the start. TCPView
> confirms this - no connection has been made since the start.

Ok. There goes that idea.

> >> Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 200GB
> >> SATA Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy  and data
> >> execution prevention - again, nothing has changed.  I'm
> out of ideas...
>
> > With disable firewall I assume you mean disable completely, and not
> > just set "postgres can do whatevever it wants"? If not, disable it
> > completely
> > :-)
>
> I even stopped and disabled the firewall service. Doesn't help much.

Ok. Try disabling the pgsql stats collector. Again, don't directly see
why it should have an effect, but if you're somehow getting lookup
problems for localhost or so.

Can someone else confirm either that they also see a slowdown on SP2, or
that they do *not*? Specifically when loading a bunch of data is best,
but in general for "heavy load" situation would be enough.

//Magnus

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
"Dave Page"

This is *very* far from scientific, but, I tried loading the same
dumpfile on 2 systems:

Box 1:
Slackware Linux
Dual PIII 1GHz
15K RPM U160 SCSI Disk
1GB RAM
PostgreSQL 7.3.2 roughly tuned (yes, I know it needs upgrading)
6-8 other PostgreSQL users.
Load time: 24 seconds.

Box 2:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Centrino 2.7GHz
7200 RPM IDE disk (2.5")
1GB RAM
PostgreSQL 8.0 Dev out of the box
0 other users, but runnning various other apps.
Load time: 31 seconds.

I can't honestly say I've noticed any real slowdown since SP2 with the
exception of DNS lookups which are now dog slow, however, our ISP added
access controls to their servers at about the same time I upgraded so it
may be that.

Regards, Dave.

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Ronald Kuczek
Дата:
Użytkownik Oleg Letsinsky napisał:

>Reinstalled SP2 - and the problem came back. So  for me
>it's quite obvious that SP2 has screwed up PgSQL  in  some  way.  I've
>tried several web forums, IRC - so far nobody seems  to  get  into  the
>same situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid enough
>to try SP2 :)

Hi Oleg,

Try this:

   1. Click *Start*, click *Run*, type sysdm.cpl, and then click *OK* to
      open Control Panel.
   2. Click the *Advanced *tab, click *Performance*, and then click
      *Settings*.
   3. In* Performance Options*, click the *Data Execution Prevention* tab.
   4. Click* Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those
      I select*, and then click * Add*.
   5. In the *Open *dialog box, locate and then click the application.
   6. Click *Open*, click *Apply*, and then click *OK*. When you are
      prompted to restart your system, click *OK*.

Maybe there you'll find the solution:

I'll wait with SP2, it seems to be not really usable.

Best regards
Rony

Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

От
Oleg Letsinsky
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 05:08:50PM +0200, Ronald Kuczek wrote:

> Hi Oleg,

Hi

> Try this:
>
>   1. Click *Start*, click *Run*, type sysdm.cpl, and then click *OK* to
>      open Control Panel.
>   2. Click the *Advanced *tab, click *Performance*, and then click
>      *Settings*.
>   3. In* Performance Options*, click the *Data Execution Prevention* tab.
>   4. Click* Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those
>      I select*, and then click * Add*.
>   5. In the *Open *dialog box, locate and then click the application.
>   6. Click *Open*, click *Apply*, and then click *OK*. When you are
>      prompted to restart your system, click *OK*.

No, thanks. I've found the reason just yesterday (well, kind of) -
installed XP on a clean machine, applied SP2 and tested everything. No
problem. I just think that my installation is screwed - after just 3
months of existence. Damn... Like in haiku: "Yesterday it is working.
Today it is not. Windows is like that." I guess I'm too much of a wuss to
get into the trouble of reinstalling it again, so I'm back in Linux
totally.

Sorry for troubles, guys.