Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

[HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

At the moment a number of flag variables set in signal handlers have
'volatile bool' as type, others have 'volatile sig_atomic_t'.  That's
kinda confusing.   I think either is safe, but I think we should
standardize one of them.

Opinions?

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> At the moment a number of flag variables set in signal handlers have
> 'volatile bool' as type, others have 'volatile sig_atomic_t'.  That's
> kinda confusing.   I think either is safe, but I think we should
> standardize one of them.

sig_atomic_t's definition includes a reference to signals, so I would
vote for using it instead of bool.
--
Michael

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

Дата:
> At the moment a number of flag variables set in signal handlers have
> 'volatile bool' as type, others have 'volatile sig_atomic_t'.  That's
> kinda confusing.   I think either is safe, but I think we should
> standardize one of them.

sig_atomic_t is more standards-conforming, I should think.  I'm not sure
if there are any current platforms where a store to a char variable
wouldn't be atomic, but why live dangerously?

I'd be inclined to let the code continue to treat the variables as
if they were bool, ie store "true" and "false" not "1" and "0"
into them.  That should be perfectly safe.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handlerflags?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-04 19:14:06 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > At the moment a number of flag variables set in signal handlers have
> > 'volatile bool' as type, others have 'volatile sig_atomic_t'.  That's
> > kinda confusing.   I think either is safe, but I think we should
> > standardize one of them.
>
> sig_atomic_t is more standards-conforming, I should think.  I'm not sure
> if there are any current platforms where a store to a char variable
> wouldn't be atomic, but why live dangerously?

Well, we already have some variables that aren't actually booleans,
although I think all of them are only read not manipulated in signal
handlers (InterruptHoldoffCount etc).  So one could argue that there's
no safety benefit in sig_atomic_t, because we're already using in other
places.   We also already rely on int32 stores being atomic in other
parts of the code, although that's between processes not between signal
/ normal path of execution.

> I'd be inclined to let the code continue to treat the variables as
> if they were bool, ie store "true" and "false" not "1" and "0"
> into them.  That should be perfectly safe.

Indeed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

Дата:
> On 2017-06-04 19:14:06 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> sig_atomic_t is more standards-conforming, I should think.  I'm not sure
>> if there are any current platforms where a store to a char variable
>> wouldn't be atomic, but why live dangerously?

> Well, we already have some variables that aren't actually booleans,
> although I think all of them are only read not manipulated in signal
> handlers (InterruptHoldoffCount etc).

Hm.  Well, according to POSIX one may rely on sig_atomic_t being able
to hold the values 0..127 on all platforms.  So we might be able to
get away with converting InterruptHoldoffCount to sig_atomic_t if we
needed to.  In the absence of evidence that we need to, I wouldn't.
But I have no problem with standardizing on using sig_atomic_t for
variables that are assigned to by signal handlers.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Well, we already have some variables that aren't actually booleans,
> although I think all of them are only read not manipulated in signal
> handlers (InterruptHoldoffCount etc).  So one could argue that there's
> no safety benefit in sig_atomic_t, because we're already using in other
> places.

I think that's a pretty good argument, really.  If there exists a
platform where only sig_atomic_t is safe to read from a signal
handler, then we already don't work on that platform.  Even saving and
restoring errno isn't safe in that case.  And if no such platform
exists, then I don't know what the benefit is of worrying about
sig_atomic_t at all.  If "int" is anyway going to be "volatile int",
then why should "bool" be written "sig_atomic_t" rather than "volatile
bool"?

> We also already rely on int32 stores being atomic in other
> parts of the code, although that's between processes not between signal
> / normal path of execution.

I don't think the issues are much different.  Presumably no CPU
delivers a signal halfway through a CPU instruction, so if we can rely
on a 4 byte store being indivisible from the perspective of some other
CPU, it seems fine to also rely on that being true in the signal
handler case.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handlerflags?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-06 13:07:57 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > We also already rely on int32 stores being atomic in other
> > parts of the code, although that's between processes not between signal
> > / normal path of execution.
>
> I don't think the issues are much different.  Presumably no CPU
> delivers a signal halfway through a CPU instruction, so if we can rely
> on a 4 byte store being indivisible from the perspective of some other
> CPU, it seems fine to also rely on that being true in the signal
> handler case.

The signal handler case is the "weaker" one I think - you'll only ever
see the result of an entire CPU instruction, whereas cross-cpu
concurrency can allow another cpu to see state from the *middle* of an
instruction if not atomic.

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

Дата:
> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Well, we already have some variables that aren't actually booleans,
>> although I think all of them are only read not manipulated in signal
>> handlers (InterruptHoldoffCount etc).  So one could argue that there's
>> no safety benefit in sig_atomic_t, because we're already using in other
>> places.

> I think that's a pretty good argument, really.  If there exists a
> platform where only sig_atomic_t is safe to read from a signal
> handler, then we already don't work on that platform.  Even saving and
> restoring errno isn't safe in that case.

That's an argument from false premises.  The question here is what types
are safe for an interrupt handler to *change*, not what can it read.

Having said that, this is a good point:

>> We also already rely on int32 stores being atomic in other
>> parts of the code, although that's between processes not between signal
>> / normal path of execution.

> I don't think the issues are much different.

That would license us to use int32 communication variables, but it still
doesn't mean that "bool" is safe.

In practice, the sort of architecture where bool would be a problem is
one that doesn't have narrower-than-word-wide memory access instructions,
so that changing a char-sized variable involves loading a word,
manipulating a byte within the word, and storing it back.  I cut my
teeth on some machines like that, but I dunno if any still exist in
the wild.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think that's a pretty good argument, really.  If there exists a
>> platform where only sig_atomic_t is safe to read from a signal
>> handler, then we already don't work on that platform.  Even saving and
>> restoring errno isn't safe in that case.
>
> That's an argument from false premises.  The question here is what types
> are safe for an interrupt handler to *change*, not what can it read.

OK, but we certainly have code in signal handlers that does:

int save_errno = errno;
/* stuff */
errno = save_errno;

If that's not a signal handler changing an int, color me confused.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handlerflags?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-06 14:13:29 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I think that's a pretty good argument, really.  If there exists a
> >> platform where only sig_atomic_t is safe to read from a signal
> >> handler, then we already don't work on that platform.  Even saving and
> >> restoring errno isn't safe in that case.
> >
> > That's an argument from false premises.  The question here is what types
> > are safe for an interrupt handler to *change*, not what can it read.
>
> OK, but we certainly have code in signal handlers that does:
>
> int save_errno = errno;
> /* stuff */
> errno = save_errno;
>
> If that's not a signal handler changing an int, color me confused.

Don't think it's actually clear that errno is an integer - might very
well be just a sig_atomic_t, which can contain values up to like 127 or
so.   I think the bigger point Tom was making is that we actually know
an int4 is safe - otherwise we'd have crashed and burned a long time ago
- but that that might be different for *smaller* datatypes because
$platform doesn't really do smaller writes atomically (turning them into
read-or-write operations either in microcode or assembly).  Alpha,
s390, pa-risc appear to have such behaviour cross-cpu - although that
doesn't necessarily imply the same is true for handlers as well.

A reasonable rule would actually be to only use [u]int32 and
sig_atomic_t, never bool.

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Don't think it's actually clear that errno is an integer - might very
> well be just a sig_atomic_t, which can contain values up to like 127 or
> so.   I think the bigger point Tom was making is that we actually know
> an int4 is safe - otherwise we'd have crashed and burned a long time ago
> - but that that might be different for *smaller* datatypes because
> $platform doesn't really do smaller writes atomically (turning them into
> read-or-write operations either in microcode or assembly).

Oh, right, I remember hearing about that issue before, but it had
slipped my mind completely.

> Alpha,
> s390, pa-risc appear to have such behaviour cross-cpu - although that
> doesn't necessarily imply the same is true for handlers as well.

Hmm, OK.  We've already decided Alpha is safely dead, but s390 and
pa-risc are ostensibly not dead.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

Дата:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> That's an argument from false premises.  The question here is what types
>> are safe for an interrupt handler to *change*, not what can it read.

> OK, but we certainly have code in signal handlers that does:

> int save_errno = errno;
> /* stuff */
> errno = save_errno;

> If that's not a signal handler changing an int, color me confused.

But it puts it back the same way at the end, so there's no visible issue
for mainline code.  Even if the interrupted code were in the midst of
changing adjacent values, nothing bad would happen.

Perhaps it would help to give a concrete example of the type of hazard
you face with a non-interrupt-safe datatype --- which, for the present
purpose, is one that takes more than one CPU instruction to load or
store.  (Andres is right that cross-process safety is a different and
stronger requirement.)  Suppose we have a machine with no byte-wide
load/store ops, only word-wide, and the compiler has laid out four
bool variables a,b,c,d in the same word.  If the mainline code is
trying to set d to 1, it's going to do something more or less like
ldw r2, ...address...ori r2, $1stw r2, ...address...

Now, if that sequence gets interrupted by a signal handler that tries to
change the value of a, b, or c, the change will be lost when we reach the
stw, because that's overwriting more than just the programmer-intended
target byte.  On the other hand, there's no problem with the handler
*reading* any of those values --- it will see a consistent state.  It also
wouldn't matter if it changed one of them and then changed it back before
returning.

In practice this would never be an issue for "errno" anyway, because int
is surely a datatype that can be loaded and stored in one instruction ---
the C standard actually defines int as being the machine's most
efficiently manipulatable type, so I think that's a pretty safe
assumption.  But I'm not convinced the same is universally true for
"char".
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handler flags?

Дата:
> A reasonable rule would actually be to only use [u]int32 and
> sig_atomic_t, never bool.

Yes, I'd agree with that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Should we standardize on a type for signal handlerflags?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-06 14:45:37 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > A reasonable rule would actually be to only use [u]int32 and
> > sig_atomic_t, never bool.
>
> Yes, I'd agree with that.

Cool.  I propose we change, once branched, the existing code using
booleans, and codify that practice in sources.sgml already existing
section about signal handlers.

- Andres