Обсуждение: [GENERAL] dump to pg

[GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
Hi,

I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details). Is it possible to load them "directly" into postgres  (without oracle/mssql license)?
dump -> csv -> postgtres
or something ?

Thanks a lot

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details). Is it possible to load them "directly" into postgres  (without oracle/mssql license)?
dump -> csv -> postgtres
or something ?

​Asking the public mailing lists for PostgreSQL for an opinion on the the legality of doing something like this is problematic​..

Technically it would depend a lot on exactly what you are trying to load.  If you can go through CSV to do it then its probably just raw insert data and has a decent chance of working as long as the schema is PostgreSQL has been created to accept the incoming data.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
> On May 31, 2017, at 9:27 AM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details). Is it possible to load them "directly" into
postgres (without oracle/mssql license)?
> dump -> csv -> postgtres
> or something ?
>

> ​Asking the public mailing lists for PostgreSQL for an opinion on the the legality of doing something like this is
problematic​..

> Technically it would depend a lot on exactly what you are trying to load.  If you can go through CSV to do it then
itsprobably just raw insert data and has a decent chance of working as long as the schema is PostgreSQL has been
createdto accept the incoming data.

> David J.

If the dumps are not ascii the ‘to csv’ step gets problematic if not impossible legally.

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
vinny
Дата:
On 2017-05-31 16:43, Nicolas Paris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details).
> Is it possible to load them "directly" into postgres  (without
> oracle/mssql license)?
>
> dump -> csv -> postgtres
>
> or something ?
>
> Thanks a lot

A very, *very* short trip to google shows that "intelligent converters"
have tools that can do both:

https://www.convert-in.com/ora2pgs.htm

There is a trial version with limited options, and the full version
seems to be priced at $49 to $100.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this company or it's products, I'm
not affiliated, I just googled
and copy/pasted the result.

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
Thanks all,

The point is I only have access to dump files, no ora/mssql server instance access. I have noticed the warning around legality on that question. The best solution for me is to ask to each. Once get answer, I will come back here to provide the answer.

On 2017-05-31 16:43, Nicolas Paris wrote:
Hi,

I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details).
Is it possible to load them "directly" into postgres  (without
oracle/mssql license)?

dump -> csv -> postgtres

or something ?

Thanks a lot

A very, *very* short trip to google shows that "intelligent converters" have tools that can do both:

https://www.convert-in.com/ora2pgs.htm

There is a trial version with limited options, and the full version seems to be priced at $49 to $100.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this company or it's products, I'm not affiliated, I just googled
and copy/pasted the result.

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Nicolas Paris schrieb am 31.05.2017 um 16:43:
> Hi,
>
> I have dumps from oracle and microsoft sql server (no more details). Is it possible to load them "directly" into
postgres (without oracle/mssql license)?
> dump -> csv -> postgtres
> or something ?

If those are binary dumps (e.g. a DataPump dump in Oracle or a "backup" in SQL Server), then the answer is no.
Only Oracle or SQL Server can read those files.

If they aren't too big, you might get away by installing the express edition of the respective DBMS, then import them
usingthe native tools, then export the data as CSV files.

Thomas

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
> If they aren't too big, you might get away by installing the express edition of the respective DBMS, then import them
usingthe native tools, then export the data as CSV files.

Thanks Thomas. Both are binaries. The oracle's one is a 30TB database...

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Neil Anderson
Дата:
On 1 June 2017 at 17:37, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If they aren't too big, you might get away by installing the express edition of the respective DBMS, then import
themusing the native tools, then export the data as CSV files.

Good idea. I think SQL Server Express is limited to 10GB on the later
versions. Another tool that can read SQL Server backups is SQL Data
Compare from Redgate, it has a 14 day trial.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

Neil Anderson
neil@postgrescompare.com
https://www.postgrescompare.com

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/02/2017 09:31 AM, Neil Anderson wrote:
> On 1 June 2017 at 17:37, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If they aren't too big, you might get away by installing the express edition of the respective DBMS, then import
themusing the native tools, then export the data as CSV files.

> Good idea. I think SQL Server Express is limited to 10GB on the later
> versions. Another tool that can read SQL Server backups is SQL Data
> Compare from Redgate, it has a 14 day trial.
>
> http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

Or spin up an AWS SQL Server instance:

https://aws.amazon.com/windows/resources/amis/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
> Or spin up an AWS SQL Server instance:
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/windows/resources/amis/

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is the data is highly sensible and
cannot go on the cloud or non trusted place

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Neil Anderson

> Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is the data is highly sensible and
> cannot go on the cloud or non trusted place

Sounds like the real question now is not how to import the data, but
how to convert the backups you have to CSV or similar?
Another idea for SQL Server is to use the bcp utility.
https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/working-with-the-bcp-command-line-utility/

Вложения

Re: [GENERAL] dump to pg

От
Steven Chang
Дата:
hello,

    not possible in your case.
    To my understading, no tool can directly transform binary dump(Oralce & MSSQL) to csv file format.

Steven