Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

[GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Ron Ben
Дата:
Hi,
I'm always finiding myself writing many varations of functions to calculate percentage.
I think it would be nice if postgresql would have build in functions for that.
I think the major functionality is something like the 3 ooptions here:

It may help to keep code simple and clean and it seem like something simple to implement.

If you think it's a good idea it would be nice if someone can implement this.

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/15/2017 10:47 PM, Ron Ben wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm always finiding myself writing many varations of functions to
> calculate percentage.
> I think it would be nice if postgresql would have build in functions for
> that.

If you have already written the functions, why not just use them?

To make them available across a cluster install them in a template
database(www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/manage-ag-templatedbs.html)
and create your new databases using that. The default template is the
template1 database, but you can create your own.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/15/2017 10:47 PM, Ron Ben wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm always finiding myself writing many varations of functions to
> calculate percentage.
> I think it would be nice if postgresql would have build in functions for
> that.
> I think the major functionality is something like the 3 ooptions here:
> https://percentagecalculator.net/
>
> It may help to keep code simple and clean and it seem like something
> simple to implement.

Plan B, CREATE your own extension. What follows is my first attempt at
creating an extension and the functions included are simple placeholders
more then anything else:

File name: calc_percents--1.0.sql

-- complain if script is sourced in psql, rather than via CREATE EXTENSION
\echo Use "CREATE EXTENSION calc_percents" to load this file. \quit

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.percent_of(val1 numeric, val2 numeric)
  RETURNS numeric
  LANGUAGE sql
AS $function$
   select (val1 / 100) *  val2;
$function$
;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.what_percent(val1 numeric, val2 numeric)
  RETURNS numeric
  LANGUAGE sql
AS $function$
   SELECT (val1 / val2) * 100;
$function$
;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.percent_diff(val1 numeric, val2 numeric)
  RETURNS numeric
  LANGUAGE sql
AS $function$
   select (val2 - val1) / val1 * 100;
$function$
;

File name: calc_percents.control

# calc_percents extension
comment = 'Functions for calculating percentages'
default_version = '1.0'
relocatable = true

Install the above in $SHARE/extension, in my case
/usr/local/pgsql/share/extension/

Then:

test=# create extension calc_percents;
CREATE EXTENSION
test=# \df percent_of
                               List of functions
  Schema |    Name    | Result data type |    Argument data types     |
Type
--------+------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
  public | percent_of | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric |
normal

test=# select * from round(percent_of(10, 100), 2) ;
  round
-------
  10.00

test=# \df percent_diff
                                List of functions
  Schema |     Name     | Result data type |    Argument data types
|  Type
--------+--------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
  public | percent_diff | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric
| normal

test=# select * from round(percent_diff(100, 109), 2) ;
  round
-------
   9.00
(1 row)

test=# \df what_percent
                                List of functions
  Schema |     Name     | Result data type |    Argument data types
|  Type
--------+--------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
  public | what_percent | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric
| normal
(1 row)

test=# select * from round(what_percent(10, 109), 2) ;
  round
-------
   9.17

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Melvin Davidson

[...]

                              List of functions
 Schema |    Name    | Result data type |    Argument data types     | Type
--------+------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
 public | percent_of | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric | normal

test=# select * from round(percent_of(10, 100), 2) ;
 round
-------
 10.00

test=# \df percent_diff
                               List of functions
 Schema |     Name     | Result data type |    Argument data types |  Type
--------+--------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
 public | percent_diff | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric | normal

test=# select * from round(percent_diff(100, 109), 2) ;
 round
-------
  9.00
(1 row)

test=# \df what_percent
                               List of functions
 Schema |     Name     | Result data type |    Argument data types |  Type
--------+--------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
 public | what_percent | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric | normal
(1 row)

test=# select * from round(what_percent(10, 109), 2) ;
 round
-------
  9.17

If you think it's a good idea it would be nice if someone can implement
this.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Or, you could just as easily compute inline in SQL:

SELECT datname,
       pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size(datname))as size_pretty,
       pg_database_size(datname) as size,
       (SELECT pg_size_pretty (SUM( pg_database_size(datname))::bigint)
          FROM pg_database)  AS total,
       ((pg_database_size(datname) / (SELECT SUM( pg_database_size(datname))
                                       FROM pg_database) ) * 100)::numeric(6,3) AS pct

  FROM pg_database
  ORDER BY datname;

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Michael Nolan
Дата:
I also have some pre-defined percentage functions, they check the denominator and return null if it is zero, to avoid 'divide by zero' errors.
--
Mike Nolan

[...]

                              List of functions
 Schema |    Name    | Result data type |    Argument data types     | Type
--------+------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
 public | percent_of | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric | normal

test=# select * from round(percent_of(10, 100), 2) ;
 round
-------
 10.00

test=# \df percent_diff
                               List of functions
 Schema |     Name     | Result data type |    Argument data types |  Type
--------+--------------+------------------+----------------------------+--------
 public | percent_diff | numeric          | val1 numeric, val2 numeric | normal

test=# select * from round(percent_diff(100, 109), 2) ;
 round
-------
  9.00
(1 row)

test=# \df what_percent
                               List of functions
[...]

Дата:
On 04/16/2017 09:37 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Adrian Klaver

> *Or, you could just as easily compute inline in SQL:
>
> SELECT datname,
>        pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size(datname))as size_pretty,
>        pg_database_size(datname) as size,
>        (SELECT pg_size_pretty (SUM( pg_database_size(datname))::bigint)
>           FROM pg_database)  AS total,
>       ((pg_database_size(datname) / (SELECT SUM(
> pg_database_size(datname))
>                                        FROM pg_database) ) *
> 100)::numeric(6,3) AS pct
>   FROM pg_database
>   ORDER BY datname;*

Yeah, that is doable but I believe the OP is looking for generic
functions that eliminate the need to write out the math for each query.
A quick and dirty example:

test=# create table percent_test(id int, subtotal numeric, sales_tax
numeric);
CREATE TABLE
test=# insert into percent_test values (1, 128, 8.7), (2, 90, 8.5), (3,
256.35, 8.7), (4, 25.50, 8.5);
INSERT 0 4

test=# select id, subtotal, sales_tax as sales_tax_rate,
percent_of(sales_tax, subtotal)::numeric(7, 2) as tax from percent_test;
  id | subtotal | sales_tax_rate |  tax
----+----------+----------------+-------
   1 |      128 |            8.7 | 11.14
   2 |       90 |            8.5 |  7.65
   3 |   256.35 |            8.7 | 22.30
   4 |    25.50 |            8.5 |  2.17

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/16/2017 02:33 PM, Michael Nolan wrote:
> I also have some pre-defined percentage functions, they check the
> denominator and return null if it is zero, to avoid 'divide by zero'
> errors.

Are they available somewhere?

My previous examples where more proof of concept then complete.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] Nice to have features: Percentage function

От
Ron Ben
Дата:
Hi,

I know I can solve my issue localy but I think that percentage manipulation is commonly used by many users and while it's true that each one can create his own solution localy it would be nice if postgresql would have build in functions for that.

percentagee manipulation is a core fuctionality.
It would be nice to see it listed here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/functions-math.html

ב אפר׳ 17, 2017 0:47, Adrian Klaver כתב:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com