Обсуждение: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source of random numbers configured

[HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source of random numbers configured

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Looking at src/port/pg_strong_random.c  this would be a bug in autoconf

#else
        /* The autoconf script should not have allowed this */
#error no source of random numbers configured

My configure line is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/10 --enable-debug --with-python --with-openssl --with-libraries=/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib --with-includes=/usr/local/opt/openssl/include/ --no-create --no-recursion

I am using openssl-1.0.2j

Regards,

Dave Cramer

Re: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source of random numbers configured

Дата:
Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
> Looking at src/port/pg_strong_random.c  this would be a bug in autoconf

It looks more like self-inflicted damage from here:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/10 --enable-debug --with-python
> --with-openssl --with-libraries=/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib
> --with-includes=/usr/local/opt/openssl/include/ --no-create --no-recursion

Why are you using either --no-create or --no-recursion?  The former
*definitely* breaks things:

$ ./configure --help | grep create -n, --no-create         do not create output files

Presumably the proximate cause of that error message is that configure
hasn't updated pg_config.h from some ancient version thereof, as a
consequence of this switch.

I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
consider that unsupported as well.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source ofrandom numbers configured

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
That will teach me to copy and paste a config from somewhere ...

Thanks

Dave Cramer

On 9 December 2016 at 10:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
> Looking at src/port/pg_strong_random.c  this would be a bug in autoconf

It looks more like self-inflicted damage from here:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/10 --enable-debug --with-python
> --with-openssl --with-libraries=/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib
> --with-includes=/usr/local/opt/openssl/include/ --no-create --no-recursion

Why are you using either --no-create or --no-recursion?  The former
*definitely* breaks things:

$ ./configure --help | grep create
  -n, --no-create         do not create output files

Presumably the proximate cause of that error message is that configure
hasn't updated pg_config.h from some ancient version thereof, as a
consequence of this switch.

I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
consider that unsupported as well.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source ofrandom numbers configured

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 12/09/2016 05:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
>> Looking at src/port/pg_strong_random.c  this would be a bug in autoconf
>
> It looks more like self-inflicted damage from here:
>
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql/10 --enable-debug --with-python
>> --with-openssl --with-libraries=/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib
>> --with-includes=/usr/local/opt/openssl/include/ --no-create --no-recursion
>
> Why are you using either --no-create or --no-recursion?  The former
> *definitely* breaks things:
>
> $ ./configure --help | grep create
>   -n, --no-create         do not create output files
>
> Presumably the proximate cause of that error message is that configure
> hasn't updated pg_config.h from some ancient version thereof, as a
> consequence of this switch.
>
> I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
> consider that unsupported as well.

Interesting. Running config.status adds those --no-create --no-recursion
flags automatically. You can see them in the command-line at the top of
config.log, too. I never bothered to check what they do...

- Heikki

Re: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source ofrandom numbers configured

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 12/9/16 9:53 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>> I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
>> consider that unsupported as well.
>
> Interesting. Running config.status adds those --no-create --no-recursion
> flags automatically. You can see them in the command-line at the top of
> config.log, too. I never bothered to check what they do...

AIUI they have to do with config dependency checking (where a simple
make will detect if config needs to run again or not). I've been bitten
by this in the past as well. Maybe there's a way to get config to spit
out a warning for those options and have make filter the warning out.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)

Re: [HACKERS] building HEAD on macos fails with #error no source ofrandom numbers configured

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 12/11/16 1:52 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 12/9/16 9:53 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what --no-recursion does, but I would say that we'd
>>> consider that unsupported as well.
>>
>> Interesting. Running config.status adds those --no-create --no-recursion
>> flags automatically. You can see them in the command-line at the top of
>> config.log, too. I never bothered to check what they do...
>
> AIUI they have to do with config dependency checking (where a simple
> make will detect if config needs to run again or not). I've been bitten
> by this in the past as well. Maybe there's a way to get config to spit
> out a warning for those options and have make filter the warning out.

When config.status is out of date against configure, then
Makefile.global runs config.status --recheck, which internally runs the
original configure line with --no-create and --no-recursion added.
--no-create means not to create any output files, because the makefile
rules will create those.  --no-recursion means not to run any configure
scripts in subdirectories (we don't use that functionality).

It's arguably a bit confusing that config.log then records the configure
line with --no-create and --no-recursion added.  But other than that,
everything works as intended.