Обсуждение: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Evan Martin
Дата:
If I have a query that reads from system tables like pg_class,
pg_namespace, pg_attribute, pg_type, etc. and I'd like to cache the
results in my application is there any fast way to detect when any
changes have been made to these system catalogs? I don't  need to know
exactly what has changed. Some kind of a global "database version" would
do, just so I know that I need to invalidate my cache (the database
definition is rarely modified in practice).

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
> On 30 Oct 2016, at 10:45, Evan Martin <postgresql2@realityexists.net> wrote:
>
> If I have a query that reads from system tables like pg_class, pg_namespace, pg_attribute, pg_type, etc. and I'd like
tocache the results in my application is there any fast way to detect when any changes have been made to these system
catalogs?I don't  need to know exactly what has changed. Some kind of a global "database version" would do, just so I
knowthat I need to invalidate my cache (the database definition is rarely modified in practice).

I think the usual practice for such situations is to do database changes through SQL scripts[1] that are under version
control.Since they are under VC, you can automatically write the version[2] into the SQL script on commit of changes to
saidscript through a commit hook.
That version in the SQL script can then be used in an UPDATE statement to some database-global settings table[3].

And there you have your database version.

Ad 1. Never do changes directly in the database when you go this route!
Ad 2. Those are often hashes these days.
Ad 3. You could even have the UPDATE statement be automatically added by the commit hook of your VC of choice.

Regards,

Alban Hertroys

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Melvin Davidson

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2016, at 10:45, Evan Martin <postgresql2@realityexists.net> wrote:
>
> If I have a query that reads from system tables like pg_class, pg_namespace, pg_attribute, pg_type, etc. and I'd like to cache the results in my application is there any fast way to detect when any changes have been made to these system catalogs? I don't  need to know exactly what has changed. Some kind of a global "database version" would do, just so I know that I need to invalidate my cache (the database definition is rarely modified in practice).

I think the usual practice for such situations is to do database changes through SQL scripts[1] that are under version control. Since they are under VC, you can automatically write the version[2] into the SQL script on commit of changes to said script through a commit hook.
That version in the SQL script can then be used in an UPDATE statement to some database-global settings table[3].

And there you have your database version.

Ad 1. Never do changes directly in the database when you go this route!
Ad 2. Those are often hashes these days.
Ad 3. You could even have the UPDATE statement be automatically added by the commit hook of your VC of choice.

Regards,

Alban Hertroys

I made the same request in this forum.
Unfortunately, few people agree that it would be worthwhile, despite the fact that the creation times are available in Oracle & MS SQL..
What you are asking would require a similar mod to pg_attribute, but based on my request, that seems unlikely. So the current solution
is to implement version control software. However, that does not solve the problem of gremlins (developers) that like to play and make
changes while bypassing CVS.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
> On Oct 30, 2016, at 4:45 AM, Evan Martin <postgresql2@realityexists.net> wrote:
>
> If I have a query that reads from system tables like pg_class, pg_namespace, pg_attribute, pg_type, etc. and I'd like
tocache the results in my application is there any fast way to detect when any changes have been made to these system
catalogs?I don't  need to know exactly what has changed. Some kind of a global "database version" would do, just so I
knowthat I need to invalidate my cache (the database definition is rarely modified in practice).

Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last modification time or sends a notification?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createeventtrigger.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:54 AM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2016, at 4:45 AM, Evan Martin <postgresql2@realityexists.net> wrote:
>
> If I have a query that reads from system tables like pg_class, pg_namespace, pg_attribute, pg_type, etc. and I'd like to cache the results in my application is there any fast way to detect when any changes have been made to these system catalogs? I don't  need to know exactly what has changed. Some kind of a global "database version" would do, just so I know that I need to invalidate my cache (the database definition is rarely modified in practice).

Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last modification time or sends a notification?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createeventtrigger.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

>Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last modification time or sends a notification?

That would certainly work, but the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in the database.
When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:14:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:

>> Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last
>> modification time or sends a notification?
> That would certainly work, but
> the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in
> the database. When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in
> hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.*--

Well, it could be generated.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:14:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:

>> Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last
>> modification time or sends a notification?
> That would certainly work, but
> the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in
> the database. When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in
> hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.*--

Well, it could be generated.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

>Well, it could be generated.
True, but it still is more code to maintain, whereas I maintain the addition addition of one column in pg_class and pg_attribute with a default of now()
would make more sense. That being said, there were so many naysayers grasping at corner cases the last time I brought this up I have given up
pursuing it.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/31/2016 07:17 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Karsten Hilbert
> <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net <mailto:Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:14:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>
>     >> Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last
>     >> modification time or sends a notification?
>     > That would certainly work, but
>     > the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in
>     > the database. When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in
>     > hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.*--
>
>     Well, it could be generated.
>
>     Karsten
>     --
>     GPG key ID E4071346 @ eu.pool.sks-keyservers.net
>     <http://eu.pool.sks-keyservers.net>
>     E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346
>

>     --
>

>>Well, it could be generated.
> True, but it still is more code to maintain, whereas I maintain the
> addition addition of one column in pg_class and pg_attribute with a
> default of now()
> would make more sense. That being said, there were so many naysayers
> grasping at corner cases the last time I brought this up I have given up
> pursuing it.

For those that want to see the previous discussions and the non-trivial
issues that where raised:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CANu8FizWg8GMSmm_d8X0B6uYi7o535f3vqMD3nqFXqrrYB6huA%40mail.gmail.com

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/mbrynjrrq6ckoxap20n2gqx4.1461185428476%40email.android.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Not sure if it would work for your use-case but what about just monitoring the PostgreSQL log for DDL statements? You may have to filter out temp tables (as you might in the system catalogs as well) but you could probably also watch for specific tablename patterns in case you only need to invalidate cache under specific circumstances.

Cheers,
Steve

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:14:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:

>> Maybe create an event trigger that updates a simple table with the last
>> modification time or sends a notification?
> That would certainly work, but
> the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in
> the database. When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in
> hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.*--

Well, it could be generated.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

>Well, it could be generated.
True, but it still is more code to maintain, whereas I maintain the addition addition of one column in pg_class and pg_attribute with a default of now()
would make more sense. That being said, there were so many naysayers grasping at corner cases the last time I brought this up I have given up
pursuing it.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
> On Oct 31, 2016, at 8:14 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That would certainly work, but the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in the database.

> When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the documentation, you create the trigger on the "ddl event" not a  table. The events are
ddl_command_start,ddl_command_end, table_rewrite and sql_drop. I have not used this feature, but it seems like you
wouldjust need one function.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/event-trigger-definition.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM, John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2016, at 8:14 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That would certainly work, but the problem is, that trigger would have to be created for every table in the database.
> When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in hundreds, it becsmes a huge undertaking.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the documentation, you create the trigger on the "ddl event" not a  table. The events are ddl_command_start, ddl_command_end, table_rewrite and sql_drop. I have not used this feature, but it seems like you would just need one function.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/event-trigger-definition.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

I have tried using an event trigger to detect table creation (ie: tg_event_audit_all ) however, that does not parse the schema_name and objid
as does pg_event_trigger_dropped_objects(), so I am not sure that is a practical way to audit.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

От
Evan Martin
Дата:
On 31/10/2016 8:26 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
I have tried using an event trigger to detect table creation (ie: tg_event_audit_all ) however, that does not parse the schema_name and objid
as does pg_event_trigger_dropped_objects(), so I am not sure that is a practical way to audit.

Event triggers seem like the most promising suggestion so far (given that I only really need to know that something has changed, not necessarily what).

Still, I was hoping for a solution that doesn't rely on modifying the database at all, i.e. something built into Postgres, but it's pretty clear from everyone's answers nothing like this exists. (I wasn't looking for a creation date, exactly, because I'd want to know when something was modified, too).

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Evan Martin <postgresql2@realityexists.net> wrote:
On 31/10/2016 8:26 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
I have tried using an event trigger to detect table creation (ie: tg_event_audit_all ) however, that does not parse the schema_name and objid
as does pg_event_trigger_dropped_objects(), so I am not sure that is a practical way to audit.

Event triggers seem like the most promising suggestion so far (given that I only really need to know that something has changed, not necessarily what).

Still, I was hoping for a solution that doesn't rely on modifying the database at all, i.e. something built into Postgres, but it's pretty clear from everyone's answers nothing like this exists. (I wasn't looking for a creation date, exactly, because I'd want to know when something was modified, too).

Evan,

I did a little digging. Note that PostgreSQL 9.5 iand above s required for this solution, but it should provide most of what you need.
If you go to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23488228/how-to-get-sql-text-from-postgres-event-trigger/35616026
and scroll toward the bottom, you will see an example of how to trap object mods.
Additional info as to what else can be captured is detailed in https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/functions-event-triggers.html
You can also use now() or transaction_timestamp(), etc to record the date/time the change occurred.
Finally, although the schema_name is provided in pg_event_trigger_ddl_commands(), you will need to
SELECT relname FROM pg_class WHERE relnamespace IN (SELECT oid from pg_namespace WHERE nspname = schema_name) INTO tbl_var;just to get the table name. I'm not sure why they didn't just give the table name firectly, but hey, at least there is a solution
--
Melvin Davidson