Обсуждение: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
I previously suggested this could help SEO:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/560614CA.1080304@mail.com

There wasn't much of a reaction but hopefully actually providing
the patch might make the difference.

You'll now see something like:

9.2 / 9.3 / current (9.4)

at the top of the page, with "current" linking /docs/current
and "9.4" linking /docs/9.4.

For SEO purposes I think it would actually be better to elide
the numbered-version altogether, so people will have to do extra work
*not* to link to /docs/current/, but I figured that would turn into
a bikeshed, so this less intrusive version is what I'm sending.

Amir

Вложения

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
On 10/05/2015 01:57 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:
> I previously suggested this could help SEO:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/560614CA.1080304@mail.com
>
> There wasn't much of a reaction but hopefully actually providing
> the patch might make the difference.
>
> You'll now see something like:
>
> 9.2 / 9.3 / current (9.4)
>
> at the top of the page, with "current" linking /docs/current
> and "9.4" linking /docs/9.4.
>
> For SEO purposes I think it would actually be better to elide
> the numbered-version altogether, so people will have to do extra work
> *not* to link to /docs/current/, but I figured that would turn into
> a bikeshed, so this less intrusive version is what I'm sending.

Bump. There's been no response to this, does the silence imply rejection
or just very low priority?

Regards,
Amir

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Amir Rohan wrote:
> On 10/05/2015 01:57 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:
> > I previously suggested this could help SEO:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/560614CA.1080304@mail.com
> >
> > There wasn't much of a reaction but hopefully actually providing
> > the patch might make the difference.
> >
> > You'll now see something like:
> >
> > 9.2 / 9.3 / current (9.4)
> >
> > at the top of the page, with "current" linking /docs/current
> > and "9.4" linking /docs/9.4.
> >
> > For SEO purposes I think it would actually be better to elide
> > the numbered-version altogether, so people will have to do extra work
> > *not* to link to /docs/current/, but I figured that would turn into
> > a bikeshed, so this less intrusive version is what I'm sending.
>
> Bump. There's been no response to this, does the silence imply rejection
> or just very low priority?

I think this is a good idea, and obviously so does Dave.

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
On 10/21/2015 05:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Amir Rohan wrote:
>> On 10/05/2015 01:57 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:
>>> I previously suggested this could help SEO:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/560614CA.1080304@mail.com
>>>
>>> There wasn't much of a reaction but hopefully actually providing
>>> the patch might make the difference.
>>>
>>> You'll now see something like:
>>>
>>> 9.2 / 9.3 / current (9.4)
>>>
>>> at the top of the page, with "current" linking /docs/current
>>> and "9.4" linking /docs/9.4.
>>>
>>> For SEO purposes I think it would actually be better to elide
>>> the numbered-version altogether, so people will have to do extra work
>>> *not* to link to /docs/current/, but I figured that would turn into
>>> a bikeshed, so this less intrusive version is what I'm sending.
>>
>> Bump. There's been no response to this, does the silence imply rejection
>> or just very low priority?
>
> I think this is a good idea, and obviously so does Dave.

I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...

Amir

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Amir Rohan wrote:

> I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...

That's a simple algorithm.  What could possibly go wrong?

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 10/21/2015 06:45 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:

>>> Bump. There's been no response to this, does the silence imply rejection
>>> or just very low priority?
>>
>> I think this is a good idea, and obviously so does Dave.
>>

> I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...

yeah - I have this one on my todo and will try to deal with it soon.

Stefan

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 10/21/2015 06:45 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:

>>> Bump. There's been no response to this, does the silence imply rejection
>>> or just very low priority?
>>
>> I think this is a good idea, and obviously so does Dave.
>>

> I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...

Sorry for this taking so long - but I now have applied PATCH 2/2, I
didnt bother applying the fixtures one due to multiple issues (some
preexisting):

* added hunk in the patch clearly was confused about 9.0 vs 8.0
* random whitespace added to some lines
* the entire current fixture file is kinda outdated wrt the current data
model and needs much bigger rejiggering...

thanks for the patch!

Stefan

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
On 11/04/2015 09:17 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 10/21/2015 06:45 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:

>>> I think this is a good idea, and obviously so does Dave.
>>>

>> I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...
>
> Sorry for this taking so long - but I now have applied PATCH 2/2, I
> didnt bother applying the fixtures one due to multiple issues (some
> preexisting):
>
> * added hunk in the patch clearly was confused about 9.0 vs 8.0
> * random whitespace added to some lines
> * the entire current fixture file is kinda outdated wrt the current data
> model and needs much bigger rejiggering...
>

> thanks for the patch!
>

> Stefan

Just to set things straight:

- The trailing space wasn't added, it was copy-pasted from the rest of
the file which has it everywhere.

- I wasn't confused about 8.0 vs. 9.0, the fixture is simply *that* old.
It doesn't matter if the data is "correct" (and it won't be, in a year
or 5), but it needs datums that cover the data model or you can't test
your changes.

Guess why I was apprehensive about asking for an update and waiting for
someone to find the time. :)

- Yes, the whole fixture file is really hopelessly out of date and
useless for testing, so If you're going to update it with live data
, great, but if not please reconsider the patch - I spent about as much
time fixing things so I could test my (trivial) change as the change itself.

Amir

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 11/04/2015 10:06 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 09:17 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>>> I'll bump periodically until it goes live or someone tells me to stop...
>>
>> Sorry for this taking so long - but I now have applied PATCH 2/2, I
>> didnt bother applying the fixtures one due to multiple issues (some
>> preexisting):
>>
>> * added hunk in the patch clearly was confused about 9.0 vs 8.0
>> * random whitespace added to some lines
>> * the entire current fixture file is kinda outdated wrt the current data
>> model and needs much bigger rejiggering...
>>

>> thanks for the patch!
>>

>> Stefan
>>

> Just to set things straight:
>
> - The trailing space wasn't added, it was copy-pasted from the rest of
> the file which has it everywhere.

heh - doesnt make it any better :)

> - I wasn't confused about 8.0 vs. 9.0, the fixture is simply *that* old.
> It doesn't matter if the data is "correct" (and it won't be, in a year
> or 5), but it needs datums that cover the data model or you can't test
> your changes.

well citing a part of the diff:

+  "pk": 6,
+  "model": "core.version",
+  "fields": {
+   "relnotes": "release.html#RELEASE-8-0-21",
+   "tree": "9.0",
+   "testing" : 1,
+   "supported": false,
+   "reldate": "2009-03-17",
+   "eoldate": "2010-10-01",
+   "firstreldate": "2009-03-17",
+   "latestminor": 21

"tree" -> "9.0" and "relnotes" -> "release.html#RELEASE-8-0-21 (as well
as "latestminor" -> "21" feel completely wrong in that combination :)

> Guess why I was apprehensive about asking for an update and waiting for
> someone to find the time. :)
>
> - Yes, the whole fixture file is really hopelessly out of date and
> useless for testing, so If you're going to update it with live data
> , great, but if not please reconsider the patch - I spent about as much
> time fixing things so I could test my (trivial) change as the change itself.

I'm actually working on a more complete fix to the fixture file now...

Stefan

Re: PATCH: add "current" version link to docs page

От
Amir Rohan
Дата:
On 11/04/2015 11:19 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 10:06 PM, Amir Rohan wrote:

>>> Sorry for this taking so long - but I now have applied PATCH 2/2, I
>>> didnt bother applying the fixtures one due to multiple issues (some
>>> preexisting):
>>>
>>> * added hunk in the patch clearly was confused about 9.0 vs 8.0
>>> * random whitespace added to some lines
>>> * the entire current fixture file is kinda outdated wrt the current data
>>> model and needs much bigger rejiggering...
>>>

>>> thanks for the patch!
>>>

>>> Stefan
>>>

>> Just to set things straight:
>>
>> - The trailing space wasn't added, it was copy-pasted from the rest of
>> the file which has it everywhere.
>
> heh - doesnt make it any better :)

Well hopefully you either enforce coding style consistently, or you
don't. which is it? :)

>> - I wasn't confused about 8.0 vs. 9.0, the fixture is simply *that* old.
>> It doesn't matter if the data is "correct" (and it won't be, in a year
>> or 5), but it needs datums that cover the data model or you can't test
>> your changes.
>
> well citing a part of the diff:
> "tree" -> "9.0" and "relnotes" -> "release.html#RELEASE-8-0-21 (as well
> as "latestminor" -> "21" feel completely wrong in that combination :)

The documentation isn't there when you bootstrap the environment anyway,
and latestminor isn't used anywhere in the UI that I've seen, but yes,
that's wrong.

The problem I did find a hinderance was all the missing
fields / value choices which made for blank template renderings.

>> Guess why I was apprehensive about asking for an update and waiting for
>> someone to find the time. :)
>>
>> - Yes, the whole fixture file is really hopelessly out of date and
>> useless for testing, so If you're going to update it with live data
>> , great, but if not please reconsider the patch - I spent about as much
>> time fixing things so I could test my (trivial) change as the change itself.
>
> I'm actually working on a more complete fix to the fixture file now...

Glad to hear it!

Not to jump over you or anything, but the other webapp is in pretty good
shape wrt to getting started (self-contained doc, clear bootstrap
procedure...), ifyou get a chance to bring this one up to par while
you're at it, I would have thanked you a month ago.

If you'll pardon my tense-mixing subjunctive.

Amir