Обсуждение: Typos in Feature Matrix Details

Typos in Feature Matrix Details

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Typos I noticed:<br /><br />1.  <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.181">http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.181</a><br
/> "he"should be "the". <br /><br />2. <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.146">http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.146</a><br
/> has a bunch of spurious '\' characters in the SQL<br /><br />In general, it would be nice if all of these brief
featuredescriptions could be fleshed out a little. Even better would be links to the relevant wiki page or mailing list
discussion.For instance, the note about Hot Standby:<br /><br /><a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.188">http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.188</a><br
/><br/>could include a link to the Hot Standby wiki page ( <a
someonewants to give my user account ("schmiddy") update privs on those pages, I'd be happy to flesh out some of those

Re: Typos in Feature Matrix Details

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> Typos I noticed:
>
> 1.  http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.181
>  "he" should be "the".

fixed

> 2. http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.146
>  has a bunch of spurious '\' characters in the SQL

that's a bug in the interface/application actually(it is broken
input/output escaping of quotes) - I complained about that a while ago
to magnus but I guess he forgot about it...

> In general, it would be nice if all of these brief feature descriptions
> could be fleshed out a little. Even better would be links to the
> relevant wiki page or mailing list discussion. For instance, the note
> about Hot Standby:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.188
>
> could include a link to the Hot Standby wiki page (
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby ).

Notice that this is the first release cycle I actually started tracking
new features on the feature matrix during the development cycle(well I
did before but it was hidden to the normal users). A lot of the
detailpages for the new features lack mostly because we try avoiding
linking to development versions of the docs or stuff that might change
rapidly (like some of the wiki pages).
What I usually do is once we have the release notes I do a full
copyediting pass over all of them to bring the descriptions more in line
with the "official" wording.

> If someone wants to give my user account ("schmiddy") update privs on
> those pages, I'd be happy to flesh out some of those details pages myself.

The current legecy interface to doing the updates is very very rough,
tends to crash browers and is not concurrency safe so if you have
suggestions for improvments (especially for the non 8.5a3 only features)
it seems better if you bring them up here (or send them to me) until
magnus gets the replacement infrastructure up ;)

Stefan

Re: Typos in Feature Matrix Details

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2010/2/1 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
> Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>>
>> Typos I noticed:
>>
>> 1.  http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.181
>>  "he" should be "the".
>
> fixed
>

>> 2. http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.146
>>  has a bunch of spurious '\' characters in the SQL
>
> that's a bug in the interface/application actually(it is broken input/output escaping of quotes) - I complained about
thata while ago to magnus but I guess he forgot about it...

Not at all :-) It's fixde in the new version, it's just that all the
other stuff in the new version isn't quite ready yet. And I'm too lazy
to fix it twice, and since the new version is a rewrite in a different
language, there is no way to backport it.

>> If someone wants to give my user account ("schmiddy") update privs on those pages, I'd be happy to flesh out some of
thosedetails pages myself.

> The current legecy interface to doing the updates is very very rough, tends to crash browers and is not concurrency
safeso if you have suggestions for improvments (especially for the non 8.5a3 only features) it seems better if you
bringthem up here (or send them to me) until magnus gets the replacement infrastructure up
>  ;)

Yeha, +1, it's a bit scary that old interface. Certainly didn't scale :-)

Re: Typos in Feature Matrix Details

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2010/2/1 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
>> Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>>> Typos I noticed:
>>>
>>> 1.  http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.181
>>>  "he" should be "the".
>> fixed
>>
>>> 2. http://www.postgresql.org/about/featuredetail/feature.146
>>>  has a bunch of spurious '\' characters in the SQL
>> that's a bug in the interface/application actually(it is broken input/output escaping of quotes) - I complained
aboutthat a while ago to magnus but I guess he forgot about it...

> Not at all :-) It's fixde in the new version, it's just that all the
> other stuff in the new version isn't quite ready yet. And I'm too lazy
> to fix it twice, and since the new version is a rewrite in a different
> language, there is no way to backport it.

well I did some digging and it turns out that the actual culprit is that
for whatever weird reason we do have "magic_quotes_gpc=On" in our
php.ini. They way that file is writte however suggests that somebody did
this on purpose(?!) does anybody recall if we have parts of the current
code somehow depending on that?

Stefan