Обсуждение: Move the developers wiki?

Move the developers wiki?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hackers,

As you may have noticed
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg00470.php) we
now have a wiki at wiki.postgresql.org that is replacing techdocs
which unfortunately never worked quite as we had hoped in it's current
form.

It has been suggested by members of the web team that as the new site
has been setup on a dedicated VM and has been properly integrated with
the rest of our online infrastructure (unlike the current developer
wiki which is basically a quick 'n' dirty install on an already
over-utilised VM), that we should consider moving the developer wiki
into a dedicated area on it.

Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Move the developers wiki?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:25:53AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:16:33 +0000
> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> > Hackers,
> >
> > As you may have noticed
> > (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg00470.php) we
> > now have a wiki at wiki.postgresql.org that is replacing techdocs
> > which unfortunately never worked quite as we had hoped in it's current
> > form.
> >
> > It has been suggested by members of the web team that as the new site
> > has been setup on a dedicated VM and has been properly integrated with
> > the rest of our online infrastructure (unlike the current developer
> > wiki which is basically a quick 'n' dirty install on an already
> > over-utilised VM), that we should consider moving the developer wiki
> > into a dedicated area on it.
> >
> > Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?
>
> Not an objection but an observation. The developer wiki seems to be a
> catchall for contributors to put various stuff on. There is patch
> status, advocacy policies, release policies etc...
>
> Based on your description of wiki.postgresql.org it is supposed to be
> a replacement for techdocs.
>
> To me, they have different purposes.

Well, we could just add a link to a subsection that does those things, no?

//Magnus

Re: Move the developers wiki?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?

Well, other than not breaking developer.postgresql.org links, sounds fine
to me.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > It has been suggested by members of the web team that as the new site
> > has been setup on a dedicated VM and has been properly integrated with
> > the rest of our online infrastructure (unlike the current developer
> > wiki which is basically a quick 'n' dirty install on an already
> > over-utilised VM), that we should consider moving the developer wiki
> > into a dedicated area on it.
>
> Not an objection but an observation. The developer wiki seems to be a
> catchall for contributors to put various stuff on. There is patch
> status, advocacy policies, release policies etc...

The developer's wiki was the developer's wiki until other people noticed
that they had no wiki so they started using the developer's wiki as a
catchall place ("hey, we advocates have nowhere to wiki on; can we use
devel's wiki?").  Now that we have a real wiki it makes sense to create
separate areas on it for each team.

That said, we have links to the developer wiki all over the web.

So +1 on moving the developer's wiki to the other one -- but only if the
original URLs continue to work (redirecting to the new site).

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Like I said just observation. I like things compartmentalized but there
> is also certainly an argument for redundant resources etc...

Are you saying that you want to keep postgresqldocs.org around?

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> That said, we have links to the developer wiki all over the web.
> So +1 on moving the developer's wiki to the other one -- but only if the
> original URLs continue to work (redirecting to the new site).

While the default URL formatting on the new wiki is different, it still
supports the same one used on the developer's wiki.  You can hit the front
page with http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page same way the URL
for the front of the developer's wiki is
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page

If all the pages get moved over with the same names (which doesn't seem
like it would be a problem), just changing developer.postgresql.org to
point to wiki.postgresql would seem to be sufficient to keep any existing
links working.

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Are you saying that you want to keep postgresqldocs.org around?

One thing at a time.  The new PG wiki looks great, seems like the next
task is to consider merging the developer's content into there.  I was
hoping to propose a plan for merging work done on postgresqldocs.org into
the new infrastructure in a couple of days, after things settle down a
bit.

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

Дата:
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> If all the pages get moved over with the same names (which doesn't seem
> like it would be a problem), just changing developer.postgresql.org to
> point to wiki.postgresql would seem to be sufficient to keep any existing
> links working.

That's not exactly what I'd call "keeping existing links working".
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> As you may have noticed
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg00470.php) we
> now have a wiki at wiki.postgresql.org that is replacing techdocs

Victory! :)

> It has been suggested by members of the web team that as the new site
> has been setup on a dedicated VM and has been properly integrated with
> the rest of our online infrastructure (unlike the current developer
> wiki which is basically a quick 'n' dirty install on an already
> over-utilised VM), that we should consider moving the developer wiki
> into a dedicated area on it.

Yes, please.  One wiki should be enough.  A bit of accidental crossover
between users, developers, and other groups could even be of advantage.

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

Дата:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> That's not exactly what I'd call "keeping existing links working".

> It is if we point developer. to wiki.

Will that break anything else (ie, is that webserver serving anything
but the wiki)?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Move the developers wiki?

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> That's not exactly what I'd call "keeping existing links working".
>
> > It is if we point developer. to wiki.
>
> Will that break anything else (ie, is that webserver serving anything
> but the wiki)?

No, thats one of the reasons why I'd like to move developer - this one
is not just on a dedicated apache instance, but a dedicated VM.

I don't see any reason why what Greg & Josh are suggesting couldn't
work - it's roughly what I had in mind anyway, except that we'd have
to use a URL rewrite on developer to get it to redirect requests to
wiki, as that hostname is used for other things so hijacking DNS
doesn't sound sensible.