Обсуждение: Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software Patents

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software Patents

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Justin,

Agreed - what do the rest of the web group think; anyone got any better
wording? Any objections?

Regards, Dave.

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software Patents

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Saturday 10 April 2004 15:20, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Honestly? I'd be hesitant to put the project into the middle of any political
discussion.  Someone thinking about using postgresql for business might see
the banners and decide they dont want to be involved with us at all...

I'd probably debate it further if I was actually for software patents...

Robert Treat

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Saturday 10 April 2004 15:20, Dave Page wrote:

Just curious here, but aren't software patents already an issue in the US?
I know I've been seeing several going around, or, at least, I believe I
have ... if so, how does this extenting to the EU make any difference?

Myself, I agree with Robert here about being in the middle of things, but
only if I'm correct in that this is already a problem in the US that isn't
going to make anything worse/better by the EU having/not having it ...

----

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software Patents

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 11 April 2004 17:05, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> [...]

I think the deal is that those in Europe aren't currently subject to software
patent litigation even if it violates US law.  Further, some of the
interpretations of the laws being proposed in Europe are fairly draconian,
and could put more cautious open source distributors "out of business" so to
speak.  check out http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html for some
informational links.

Robert Treat

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software Patents

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Robert Treat once said:

> I think the deal is that those in Europe aren't currently subject to
> software  patent litigation even if it violates US law.  Further, some
> of the  interpretations of the laws being proposed in Europe are fairly
> draconian,  and could put more cautious open source distributors "out
> of business" so to  speak.  check out
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html for some  informational
> links.

Yes, that's about right - in fact the link at the bottom of that page
leads to the proper Knoppix homepage which mentions even simple common
features like progress bars and scrollable windows being under threat. The
problem isn't even whether on not a project actually infringes a patent
anyway though - just checking whether on not it does can cost a huge
amount of money, so an unscrupulous corporate could put a project out of
business with an infringement claim that warrants further investigation,
whether or not the claim is valid.
As for the US issue - my understanding is that in the US you can only
patent complex software processes and concepts, whereas in the EU you will
be able to patent simple 'things' such as UI controls.
Regards, Dave

Dave Page wrote:
> It's rumoured that Robert Treat once said:
> >
> > I think the deal is that those in Europe aren't currently subject to
> > software  patent litigation even if it violates US law.  Further, some
> > of the  interpretations of the laws being proposed in Europe are fairly
> > draconian,  and could put more cautious open source distributors "out
> > of business" so to  speak.  check out
> > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html for some  informational
> > links.
>
> Yes, that's about right - in fact the link at the bottom of that page
> leads to the proper Knoppix homepage which mentions even simple common
> features like progress bars and scrollable windows being under threat. The
> problem isn't even whether on not a project actually infringes a patent
> anyway though - just checking whether on not it does can cost a huge
> amount of money, so an unscrupulous corporate could put a project out of
> business with an infringement claim that warrants further investigation,
> whether or not the claim is valid.
> As for the US issue - my understanding is that in the US you can only
> patent complex software processes and concepts, whereas in the EU you will
> be able to patent simple 'things' such as UI controls.

Here is a scarey article talking about patents and generating patent
revenue:

    http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-5189747.html?tag=nefd.top

Dave is right that just checking on patents can make software
development impossible for all but the largest organization.

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> Dave is right that just checking on patents can make software
> development impossible for all but the largest organization.

Cool.  Does this mean we're ok to make the warning on the home page more
prominent?

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> <snip>
> > Dave is right that just checking on patents can make software
> > development impossible for all but the largest organization.
>
> Cool.  Does this mean we're ok to make the warning on the home page more
> prominent?

No, it already looks pretty prominenty to me.

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> > Cool.  Does this mean we're ok to make the warning on the home
> > page more prominent?
>
> More prominent than the ugly, neon green animated Pac-man like thing
> currently on the home page? What percentage of the people reading
> the page are really going to be able to "come to Brussels?" I vote
> for removing it and keeping the project as apolitical as possible.

Good description, and suggestion.

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
<snip>
> More prominent than the ugly, neon green animated Pac-man like thing
> currently on the home page? What percentage of the people reading
> the page are really going to be able to "come to Brussels?" I vote
> for removing it and keeping the project as apolitical as possible.

It still raises people's awareness, regardless of whether they can get
to Brussels or not.

This is not really a political issue.  It's looking after our own long
term interests.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Would you guys feel better about

http://www.e-labs.org/patent_overload.gif

Robert Treat

On Monday 12 April 2004 07:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> [ There is text before PGP section. ]
>
> [ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> > > Cool.  Does this mean we're ok to make the warning on the home
> > > page more prominent?
> >
> > More prominent than the ugly, neon green animated Pac-man like thing
> > currently on the home page? What percentage of the people reading
> > the page are really going to be able to "come to Brussels?" I vote
> > for removing it and keeping the project as apolitical as possible.
>
> Good description, and suggestion.

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> <snip>
> > More prominent than the ugly, neon green animated Pac-man like thing
> > currently on the home page? What percentage of the people reading
> > the page are really going to be able to "come to Brussels?" I vote
> > for removing it and keeping the project as apolitical as possible.
>
> It still raises people's awareness, regardless of whether they can get
> to Brussels or not.
>
> This is not really a political issue.  It's looking after our own long
> term interests.

Nobody has yet mentioned how this is the case ... how would such a patent
affect us?  For instance, there is no EU corporate entity that anyone
could claim copyright infringement against, so there is nobody to 'tie up
in the courts' ... would this give someone in the EU the ability to take
companyA *using* PostgreSQL to court?

----

Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

От
"Andreas Grabmueller"
Дата:
Keep the project apolitical? What happens if someone patents "A software that stores and manages data" - PostgreSQL
willthen be illegal here in Europe - who should pay the license fees? And this is exactly the type of patent we are
talkingabout (and that kind of patents already exist here in Germany, they just are not legal yet).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

----- Original-Nachricht -----