Обсуждение: simple (?) join

simple (?) join

От
Gary Stainburn
Дата:
Hi folks.

I have two tables

create table orders (
o_id serial primary key
);

create table orders_log (
ol_id serial primary key,
o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
ol_timestamp timestamp,
ol_user,
);

How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
orders_log?

Cheers
--
Gary Stainburn

Gary's Haircut 700
Please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stainburn/ to help me
raise money for Cancer Research - in return I'll have my head shaved

Re: simple (?) join

От
"Oliveiros C,"
Дата:
You mean
to list the complete orders table and for each of its records, the
corresponding record on the orders_log with the latest ol_timestamp?

SELECT *
FROM orders_log main
JOIN
(
SELECT orders.*,  MAX(orders_log.ol_timestamp) as latest
FROM orders
NATURAL JOIN orders_log
GROUP BY orders.*
) subquery
ON main.ol_timestamp = subquery.latest
AND main.o_id = subquery.o_id

This query is untested, but could you give it a try?

Then tell me the results.

NB - I am not sure if it is legal to use * on a GROUP BY clause, but if it
isnt please kindly substitute by orders.o_id, orders.next_field, etc...

Best,
Oliveiros

> o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
> ol_timestamp timestamp,
> ol_user,
> );
>
> How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Gary Stainburn
>
> Gary's Haircut 700
> Please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stainburn/ to help me
> raise money for Cancer Research - in return I'll have my head shaved

Re: simple (?) join

От
"Oliveiros C,"
Дата:
Hmm...no, it seems, it is not allowable to
use orders.* on a
GROUP BY clause.

Unless you've defined for the table something called an ordering operator.

If you didn't, you'll have to include all the fields from the orders table
in the GROUP BY clause

HTH

Best,
Oliveiros

> to list the complete orders table and for each of its records, the
> corresponding record on the orders_log with the latest ol_timestamp?
>

> SELECT *
> FROM orders_log main
> JOIN
> (
> SELECT orders.*,  MAX(orders_log.ol_timestamp) as latest
> FROM orders
> NATURAL JOIN orders_log
> GROUP BY orders.*
> ) subquery
> ON main.ol_timestamp = subquery.latest
> AND main.o_id = subquery.o_id
>
> This query is untested, but could you give it a try?
>
> Then tell me the results.
>
> NB - I am not sure if it is legal to use * on a GROUP BY clause, but if it
> isnt please kindly substitute by orders.o_id, orders.next_field, etc...
>
> Best,
> Oliveiros

Re: simple (?) join

От
David W Noon
Дата:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:16:36 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote about [SQL]
simple (?) join:

>create table orders (
>o_id serial primary key
>);
>
>create table orders_log (
>ol_id serial primary key,
>o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
>ol_timestamp timestamp,
>ol_user,
>);
>
>How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
>orders_log?

SELECT * FROM orders
WHERE o_id IN (SELECT o_id FROM orders_log  WHERE ol_timestamp = (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log));

No joins required.

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.noon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Re: simple (?) join

От
justin
Дата:
wrap="">OnThu, 24 Sep 2009 16:16:36 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote about [SQL]

simple (?) join:
o_id serial primary key
);

create table orders_log (
ol_id serial primary key,
o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
ol_timestamp timestamp,
ol_user,
);

How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
SELECT * FROM orders
WHERE o_id IN (SELECT o_id FROM orders_log  WHERE ol_timestamp = (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log));

leftjoin (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp), o_id FROM orders_log group by o_id) as JoinQuery on JoinQuery.o_id = orders.o_id

Re: simple (?) join

От
David W Noon
Дата:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:15:07 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple
(?) join:

>David W Noon wrote:On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:16:36 +0100, Gary Stainburn
>wrote about [SQL] simple (?) join:
>
>  create table orders (
>o_id serial primary key
>);
>
>create table orders_log (
>ol_id serial primary key,
>o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
>ol_timestamp timestamp,
>ol_user,
>);
>
>How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
>orders_log?
>
>SELECT * FROM orders
>WHERE o_id IN (SELECT o_id FROM orders_log
>   WHERE ol_timestamp = (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log));
>
>No joins required.
>
>I don't think that is what he is requesting.  I read it he also wants
>the timestamp included in the result set

That shouldn't be too much of a problem.

>A nested query
>
>Select
>    orders.*,
>    (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log where orders_log.o_id =
> orders.oid)
>From orders

That won't give the desired results. I don't think the SQL parser will
even accept it.

>Still another option is using a join
>
>Select
>    orders.*, ol_timestamp
>    From orders
>    left join (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp), o_id FROM orders_log group by
> o_id) as JoinQuery on JoinQuery.o_id = orders.o_id

That won't give the desired results either. If you change "left" to
"inner" you will be closer though.

Both of your queries will retrieve the entire orders table with a
timestamp of some sort from the orders_log table.

>The second one should be faster

Try this for an elegant approach:

WITH maxi AS (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log)
SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
FROM orders AS o
WHERE o.o_id IN (SELECT o_id FROM orders_log  WHERE ol_timestamp = maxi.ts);

This caches the latest timestamp in a temporary table so that it can
both appear in the result set and be used to constrain the selection
from the orders_log table.

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.noon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Re: simple (?) join

От
Raj Mathur
Дата:
On Thursday 24 Sep 2009, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I have two tables
>
> create table orders (
> o_id serial primary key
> );
>
> create table orders_log (
> ol_id serial primary key,
> o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
> ol_timestamp timestamp,
> ol_user,
> );
>
> How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?

Does this do what you want?  You would have to do some tricks if you
also want orders that don't have any entry in the orders_log table to be
displayed.

select ol.ol_id,ol.o_id,ol.ol_timestamp
from orders o natural join orders_log ol
where (ol.o_id,ol.ol_timestamp) in (select o_id,max(ol_timestamp) from orders_log group by o_id);

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/      GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968
D0EFCC68 D17F

Re: simple (?) join

От
"Oliveiros C,"
Дата:
Hello, Justin, Gary.

Justin, your (the second one) query is not much different from mine.
 You previewed  the possibility of having orders without any matching entry on orders_log with your left join, something that I haven't. Gary, will you have
records on your orders table that don't reference any record on your orders_log table? If so, Justin's query is the right one you should use.

You return the full record from orders and an additional column from orders_log, the ol_timestamp column. I understood that Gary wanted the full record from orders_log, not
just the timestamp column. That part is done by my subquery .

 I think Gary could clarify what he wants exactly. Gary? :)

Also, Justin, your query design seems right to me, but maybe you should add this (the part in comment) to your subquery
SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) /* as ol_timestamp */ , o_id FROM orders_log group by o_id
because the MAX(ol_timestamp) will receive the name max, not ol_timestamp, and probably
the parser will complain that column ol_timestamp  does not exist.
Ain't I right?

Best,
Oliveiros

[...]

From orders

Still another option is using a join

Select
    orders.*, ol_timestamp
    From orders
    left join (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp), o_id FROM orders_log group by o_id) as JoinQuery on JoinQuery.o_id = orders.o_id

The second one should be faster

Re: simple (?) join

От
Claus Guttesen
Дата:
> I have two tables
>
> create table orders (
> o_id serial primary key
> );
>
> create table orders_log (
> ol_id serial primary key,
> o_id int4 not null references orders(o_id),
> ol_timestamp timestamp,
> ol_user,
> );
>
> How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?

Maby this will work?

Get the unique o_id from the table orders and do a group by in a
subselect, and then select the other fields from the same table, ie:

select o_od, max(o_field1), max(o_field2) ... from orders where o_id
in (select o_id from orders group by o_id) group by o_id order by
o_id;

This off course assumes that o_id is a serial (and thus that timestamp
will always be higher etc.).

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare

Re: simple (?) join

От
justin
Дата:
itsnot,  <br /><blockquote cite="mid:1EF7ADDE66AA4D4E8E7EB2021CAD6CBB@marktestcr.marktest.pt" type="cite"><div><font
face="Arial"size="2"> You previewed  the possibility of having orders without any matching entry on orders_log with
yourorders table that don't reference any record on your orders_log table? If so, Justin's query is the right one you
additionalcolumn from orders_log, the ol_timestamp column. I understood that Gary wanted the full record from
size="2">Also,Justin, your query design seems right to me, but maybe you should add this (the part in comment) to your
correcti forgot to add the AS <br />

Re: simple (?) join

От
justin
Дата:
type="cite"><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">A nested query

Select  orders.*,  (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log where orders_log.o_id =

That won't give the desired results. I don't think the SQL parser will
even accept it. </pre></blockquote> Yes this is a  valid SQL statement use similar ones a great deal.  The problem with
nestedqueries is they can only return 1 record per match.  Another problem can be performance it has to run for every
recordin order tables and it occurs pre filter conditions <br /><blockquote
wrap="">Stillanother option is using a join

Select  orders.*, ol_timestamp  From orders  left join (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp), o_id FROM orders_log group by
That won't give the desired results either. If you change "left" to
"inner" you will be closer though.

Both of your queries will retrieve the entire orders table with a

Re: simple (?) join

От
David W Noon
Дата:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:54:24 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple
(?) join:

[snip]
>Quoting Gary
>"How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
>orders_log?"

In that case, a simple Cartesian product will do:

SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
FROM orders AS o,
(SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log) AS maxi;

Since the cardinality of the subquery "maxi" is 1, it will give a result
set with cardinality of the complete orders table.

I don't understand why anybody would want to do that. [De gustibus ... ]

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.noon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Re: simple (?) join

От
justin
Дата:
David W Noon wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:20090926205349.5fa284f1@dwnoon.ntlworld.com" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On
Sat,26 Sep 2009 14:54:24 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple

(?) join:

"How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
In that case, a simple Cartesian product will do:

SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
FROM orders AS o,
(SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log) AS maxi;

Since the cardinality of the subquery "maxi" is 1, it will give a result
set with cardinality of the complete orders table.

auditrequirement to track who what, when and why something happened.  <br />

Re: simple (?) join

От
Gary Stainburn
Дата:
On Saturday 26 September 2009 21:15:37 justin wrote:
>  David W Noon wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:54:24 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple
> (?) join:
>
> [snip]
>
> Quoting Gary
> "How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?"
>

> In that case, a simple Cartesian product will do:
>
> SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
> FROM orders AS o,
> (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log) AS maxi;
>
> Since the cardinality of the subquery "maxi" is 1, it will give a result
> set with cardinality of the complete orders table.
>
> I don't understand why anybody would want to do that. [De gustibus ... ]
>

>  Guessing here
>
>   Answer to return the last time someone either viewed or edited the order.
>
>  This is a very common audit requirement to track who what, when and why
> something happened.

For some reason the reply I sent on Friday didn't get through.
What I need is all of the order record and all of the latest log entry
returning as a join. Specifically I want for each order the most recent log
entry timestamp and it's associated user - i.e. who made the the last log
entry and when.

I suppose I'm asking how I would do the sub-query to pull the most recent log
entry per order.

--
Gary Stainburn

Gary's Haircut 700
Please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stainburn/ to help me
raise money for Cancer Research - in return I'll have my head shaved

Re: simple (?) join

От
"Oliveiros C,"
Дата:
Hello, Gary.

thank you for your e-mail

This is a slightly modified version of the query I sent you on first place
(have you tried it out?).

It will return (I hope :) the full orders record plus the maximum
ol_timestamp and respective o_user.

HTH
Best,
Oliveiros

SELECT subquery.*, orders_log.ol_user
FROM orders_log main
JOIN
(
SELECT orders.o_id, /* The remaining fields of orders go here */,
MAX(orders_log.ol_timestamp) as latest
FROM orders
NATURAL JOIN orders_log
GROUP BY orders.o_id, /* the remaining fields of orders go here */
) subquery
ON main.ol_timestamp = subquery.latest
AND main.o_id = subquery.o_id

On Saturday 26 September 2009 21:15:37 justin wrote:
>  David W Noon wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:54:24 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple
> (?) join:
>
> [snip]
>
> Quoting Gary
> "How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?"
>

> In that case, a simple Cartesian product will do:
>
> SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
> FROM orders AS o,
> (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log) AS maxi;
>
> Since the cardinality of the subquery "maxi" is 1, it will give a result
> set with cardinality of the complete orders table.
>
> I don't understand why anybody would want to do that. [De gustibus ... ]
>

>  Guessing here
>
>  Answer to return the last time someone either viewed or edited the order.
>
>  This is a very common audit requirement to track who what, when and why
> something happened.

For some reason the reply I sent on Friday didn't get through.
What I need is all of the order record and all of the latest log entry
returning as a join. Specifically I want for each order the most recent log
entry timestamp and it's associated user - i.e. who made the the last log
entry and when.

I suppose I'm asking how I would do the sub-query to pull the most recent
log
entry per order.

--
Gary Stainburn

Gary's Haircut 700
Please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stainburn/ to help me
raise money for Cancer Research - in return I'll have my head shaved

Re: simple (?) join

От
David W Noon
Дата:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:02:20 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote about Re:
[SQL] simple (?) join:

[snip]
>For some reason the reply I sent on Friday didn't get through.
>What I need is all of the order record and all of the latest log entry
>returning as a join. Specifically I want for each order the most
>recent log entry timestamp and it's associated user - i.e. who made
>the the last log entry and when.

In that case, try this:

SELECT o.*, ol.ol_timestamp, ol.ol_user
FROM orders AS o
INNER JOIN orders_log AS ol
ON ol.o_id = o.o_id
WHERE ol.ol_timestamp = (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) FROM orders_log AS  ol2 WHERE ol2.o_id = o.o_id);

This will omit orders that have never been logged. You have not
specified what you want done with them.

Dave  [RLU #314465]
david.w.noon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Re: simple (?) join

От
Gary Stainburn
Дата:
On Monday 28 September 2009 13:30:32 you wrote:
> SELECT o.*, ol.*
>   FROM orders o
>        LEFT JOIN (
>          SELECT ol.o_id, MAX(ol_timestamp) AS maxts
>            FROM orders_log ol
>           GROUP BY 1
>          ) max_olt
>              ON max_olt.o_id=o.o_id