Re: simple (?) join

От Gary Stainburn
Тема Re: simple (?) join
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Saturday 26 September 2009 21:15:37 justin wrote:
>  David W Noon wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:54:24 -0400, justin wrote about Re: [SQL] simple
> (?) join:
>
> [snip]
>
> Quoting Gary
> "How can I select all from orders and the last (latest) entry from the
> orders_log?"
>

> In that case, a simple Cartesian product will do:
>
> SELECT o.*, maxi.ts
> FROM orders AS o,
> (SELECT MAX(ol_timestamp) AS ts FROM orders_log) AS maxi;
>
> Since the cardinality of the subquery "maxi" is 1, it will give a result
> set with cardinality of the complete orders table.
>
> I don't understand why anybody would want to do that. [De gustibus ... ]
>

>  Guessing here
>
>   Answer to return the last time someone either viewed or edited the order.
>
>  This is a very common audit requirement to track who what, when and why
> something happened.

For some reason the reply I sent on Friday didn't get through.
What I need is all of the order record and all of the latest log entry
returning as a join. Specifically I want for each order the most recent log
entry timestamp and it's associated user - i.e. who made the the last log
entry and when.

I suppose I'm asking how I would do the sub-query to pull the most recent log
entry per order.

--
Gary Stainburn

Gary's Haircut 700
Please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Stainburn/ to help me
raise money for Cancer Research - in return I'll have my head shaved