Обсуждение: Performance issues with compaq server

Performance issues with compaq server

От
"Samuel J. Sutjiono"
Дата:
I tried to load data using insert statement to our new database server (Compaq DL580, DL590, DL380 using SCSI driver) but it was very very slow.  The database runs on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and PostgreSQL version 7.1.3

Does anybody know any idea to what cause this problem ? or things that I need to look or check (in the config. file)

I appreciate any help.

Regards,
Samuel

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:40:32PM -0400, Samuel J. Sutjiono wrote:

> I tried to load data using insert statement to our new database server
> (Compaq DL580, DL590, DL380 using SCSI driver) but it was very very slow.
> The database runs on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and PostgreSQL version 7.1.3
>
> Does anybody know any idea to what cause this problem ? or things that I
> need to look or check (in the config. file)

Put them in a trasaction (begin/commit). Without that, each insert becomes
it's own transaction which is rather expensive. Postgresql 7.2 improves this
a bit but the transaction will help anyway.

HTH,
> Canada, Mexico, and Australia form the Axis of Nations That
> Are Actually Quite Nice But Secretly Have Nasty Thoughts About America

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Holger Marzen
Дата:
On Wed, 8 May 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 06:40:32PM -0400, Samuel J. Sutjiono wrote:
>
> > I tried to load data using insert statement to our new database server
> > (Compaq DL580, DL590, DL380 using SCSI driver) but it was very very slow.
> > The database runs on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and PostgreSQL version 7.1.3
> >
> > Does anybody know any idea to what cause this problem ? or things that I
> > need to look or check (in the config. file)
>
> Put them in a trasaction (begin/commit). Without that, each insert becomes
> it's own transaction which is rather expensive. Postgresql 7.2 improves this
> a bit but the transaction will help anyway.

ACK. On a given hardware I get about 150 inserts per second. Using a
begin/end transaction for a group of 100 inserts speeds it up to about
450 inserts per second.

But beware: if one insert fails (duplicate key, faulty data) then you
have to re-insert the remaining rows as single transactions, else all
rows of the previous transaction are discarded.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Holger Marzen <holger@marzen.de> writes:

> ACK. On a given hardware I get about 150 inserts per second. Using a
> begin/end transaction for a group of 100 inserts speeds it up to about
> 450 inserts per second.

COPY is even faster as there is less query parsing to be done, plus
you get a transaction per COPY statement even without BEGIN/END.

> But beware: if one insert fails (duplicate key, faulty data) then you
> have to re-insert the remaining rows as single transactions, else all
> rows of the previous transaction are discarded.

Hmm don't you have to ROLLBACK and redo the whole transaction without
the offending row(s), since you can't commit while in ABORT state?  Or
am I misunderstanding?

-Doug

having trouble w/ having clause...

От
Mike Diehl
Дата:
Hi all,

This is a simple question, but for the life of me, I can't see what is wrong with this query:

select host,slot,port,count(mac) as d from cam group by host,slot,port having d>1;

I'm running 7.2.

Thanx in advance,

--
Mike Diehl
Network Tools Devl.

Re: having trouble w/ having clause...

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Wednesday 08 May 2002 22:58, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a simple question, but for the life of me, I can't see what is
> wrong with this query:
>
> select host,slot,port,count(mac) as d from cam group by host,slot,port
> having d>1;

Try:

select host,slot,port,count(mac) as d from cam group by host,slot,port
having count(mac) > 1

See:

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-select.html

"output_name
Specifies another name for an output column using the AS clause. This name is    primarily used to label the column for
display.It can also be used to referto the column's value in ORDER BY and GROUP BY clauses. But the output_name cannot
beused in the WHERE or HAVING clauses; write out the expression instead."

HTH

Ian Barwick

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Holger Marzen
Дата:
On 8 May 2002, Doug McNaught wrote:

> Holger Marzen <holger@marzen.de> writes:
>
> > ACK. On a given hardware I get about 150 inserts per second. Using a
> > begin/end transaction for a group of 100 inserts speeds it up to about
> > 450 inserts per second.
>
> COPY is even faster as there is less query parsing to be done, plus
> you get a transaction per COPY statement even without BEGIN/END.

Yes, but I wanted to change something in some rows, so I used perl and
insert.

> > But beware: if one insert fails (duplicate key, faulty data) then you
> > have to re-insert the remaining rows as single transactions, else all
> > rows of the previous transaction are discarded.
>
> Hmm don't you have to ROLLBACK and redo the whole transaction without
> the offending row(s), since you can't commit while in ABORT state?  Or
> am I misunderstanding?

Postgres complains and doesn't accept the following inserts after a
failed one until end of transaction. I didn't have the time yet to
figure out if it rolls back the preceeding inserts.

Is there a rule in SQL standards that describes what should happen if
some statemens in a transaction fail and the program issues a commit?

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Curt Sampson
Дата:
On Wed, 8 May 2002, Holger Marzen wrote:

> > COPY is even faster as there is less query parsing to be done, plus
> > you get a transaction per COPY statement even without BEGIN/END.
>
> Yes, but I wanted to change something in some rows, so I used perl and
> insert.

Why not use Perl and COPY?

cjs

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Holger Marzen
Дата:
On Thu, 9 May 2002, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Holger Marzen wrote:
>
> > > COPY is even faster as there is less query parsing to be done, plus
> > > you get a transaction per COPY statement even without BEGIN/END.
> >
> > Yes, but I wanted to change something in some rows, so I used perl and
> > insert.
>
> Why not use Perl and COPY?

A good idea. I'll try it if the customer complains about the speed.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1

Re: having trouble w/ having clause...

От
Mike Diehl
Дата:
Yep, this fixed it.  Thanx,

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 05:13 pm, Ian Barwick wrote:    > On Wednesday 08 May 2002 22:58, Mike Diehl wrote:    > > Hi
all,   > >    > > This is a simple question, but for the life of me, I can't see what    > > is wrong with this query:
 > >    > > select host,slot,port,count(mac) as d from cam group by    > > host,slot,port having d>1;    >    > Try:
>   > select host,slot,port,count(mac) as d from cam group by host,slot,port    > having count(mac) > 1    >    > See:
 >    > http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-select.html    >    > "output_name    >    >  Specifies another
namefor an output column using the AS clause. This    > name is primarily used to label the column for display. It can
alsobe    > used to refer to the column's value in ORDER BY and GROUP BY clauses.    > But the output_name cannot be
usedin the WHERE or HAVING clauses;    > write out the expression instead."    >    > HTH    >    > Ian Barwick

--
Mike Diehl
Network Tools Devl.
Sandia Labs
(505) 284-3137

Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues with compaq server

От
Denis Gasparin
Дата:
The Compaq servers you indicated use the smart array controller which is
very very slow in storing data into hard disks. Are you using the RAID?

I suggest you to buy a controller with a larger write cache (the smart
array controller does not have w-cache)... You should note a large
performance progress...

Also do not forget to set fsync to false and to use the COPY command
whenever is possible...

Bye!
--
Doct. Eng. Denis Gasparin: denis@edistar.com