Обсуждение: commentds on redhats new database

commentds on redhats new database

От
clayton cottingham
hello:

i thought id find out what people think about this:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2778706,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest

which basically points out that redhat will be making their own database
based off of postgres7.1

my main concern is that this could cause some sort of splintering of the
code base

could this potentially happen?

what other concerns could there be?

Re: commentds on redhats new database

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:28:34PM -0700, clayton cottingham wrote:
> hello:
>
> i thought id find out what people think about this:
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2778706,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest
>
> which basically points out that redhat will be making their own database
> based off of postgres7.1

Quoting:
The Red Hat Database, as it is likely to be called, is basedon PostgreSQL 7.1.  Included in the package will be Red
HatInstaller,which will aid users in quickly installing thedatabase, robust transaction support and advanced
lockingcapabilities.It will comply with SQL92, ODBC and JDBC APIs.

> my main concern is that this could cause some sort of splintering of the
> code base

I'll be interesting to see how their offering differs from GreatBridge.
And if their going to claim SQL'92 compliance, have they done all the
SCHEMA support work? ;-)

> could this potentially happen?

Sure, we're BSD, so they're under no obligation to share any code changes
with us. Haven't noticed many new @redhat.com email address over on HACKERS,
though, so I wonder if they've done much work on the core.

> what other concerns could there be?

Getting bug reports from code we can't look at.

Ross

Re: commentds on redhats new database

Дата:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
>> could [a fork] potentially happen?

> Sure, we're BSD, so they're under no obligation to share any code changes
> with us.

I really doubt that RedHat is silly enough to want to fork the code.
They haven't forked Linux, gcc, gdb, etc, but have been upstanding
contributors to all those projects; why would they do it differently
with Postgres?

> Haven't noticed many new @redhat.com email address over on HACKERS,
> though, so I wonder if they've done much work on the core.

Some folk at RedHat's Toronto offices are gearing up to contribute work;
I was up there to talk with them just a couple weeks ago.  They've not
been real visible yet though ... (hey Patrick et al: if you're reading
this, it's past time to introduce yourselves).
        regards, tom lane

Re: commentds on redhats new database

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:32:10AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> >> could [a fork] potentially happen?
>
> > Sure, we're BSD, so they're under no obligation to share any code changes
> > with us.

> I really doubt that RedHat is silly enough to want to fork the code.
> They haven't forked Linux, gcc, gdb, etc, but have been upstanding
> contributors to all those projects; why would they do it differently
> with Postgres?

Hey, he did say _potentially_. I agree that it's not at all _likely_.

> > Haven't noticed many new @redhat.com email address over on HACKERS,
> > though, so I wonder if they've done much work on the core.
>
> Some folk at RedHat's Toronto offices are gearing up to contribute work;
> I was up there to talk with them just a couple weeks ago.  They've not
> been real visible yet though ... (hey Patrick et al: if you're reading
> this, it's past time to introduce yourselves).

Sounds cool. The more the merrier, I say.

Ross

plsql in 7.1

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
Hi,

Does plpgsql in 7.1.2 has some change in implementation??
Since I have a plplsql function which works in pg-7.0,
however, in pg-7.1.2, sometimes doesn't work, I found sometimes,
I generate more then 800 pg_sorttemp???.??? file each has ~430k.
which causes our disk full so fast(when we have mutilpel client
call it).

Here it is:

CREATE FUNCTION getstats12(text,date) RETURNS text AS '
declare  rater alias for $1;  string       text:='''';  c            char(1):='','';  svid         int4:=0;  rec
 record;  dnorat       int4:=0;  drat         int4:=0;  ddel         int4:=0;  dunrch       int4:=0;  wnorat
int4:=0; wrat         int4:=0;  wdel         int4:=0;  wunrch       int4:=0;  dhours       float4;  whours
float4; drph         int2:=0;  wrph         int2:=0;  nthday       int2:=0;  start        timestamp;  last
timestamp; finish       timestamp;

begin  SELECT dayofweek($2) INTO nthday;  finish:=$2+''23:59:59''::time;  last:=finish-''1day''::timespan;
start:=($2-nthday)::timestamp; FOR rec IN       SELECT urlinfo.id,ratedon,cid       FROM urlinfo,ratings_by_serial
WHERE urlinfo.id=ratings_by_serial.id and ratedby=rater       and ratedon between start and finish       UNION
SELECTuinfo2.id,ratedon,cid       FROM uinfo2,rbs2       WHERE urlinfo.id=ratings_by_serial.id and ratedby=rater
andratedon between start and finish       LOOP       IF rec.id<>svid THEN         IF rec.ratedon>last THEN
IFrec.cid= -1 THEN               dnorat:=dnorat+1;            ELSE               drat:=drat+1;            END IF;
 ELSE            IF rec.cid= -1 THEN               wnorat:=wnorat+1;            ELSE               wrat:=wrat+1;
   END IF;         END IF;       END IF;       svid:=rec.id;  END LOOP;  --raise notice ''urlinfo done'';  FOR rec IN
   SELECT deleteddate       FROM deleted       WHERE allocatedto=rater       and deleteddate between start and finish
   LOOP         IF rec.deleteddate>last THEN               ddel:=ddel+1;         ELSE               wdel:=wdel+1;
 END IF;  END LOOP;  --raise notice ''deleted done'';  FOR rec IN       SELECT checkdate       FROM unreachable
WHEREcheckedby=rater       and checkdate between start and finish       LOOP         IF rec.checkdate>last THEN
     dunrch:=dunrch+1;         ELSE               wunrch:=wunrch+1;         END IF;  END LOOP;  --raise notice
''unreachabledone'';  wnorat:=wnorat+dnorat;  wrat:=wrat+drat;  wdel:=wdel+ddel;  wunrch:=wunrch+dunrch;  SELECT
getratinghour(rater,$2,$2)INTO dhours;  SELECT getratinghour(rater,start::date,$2) INTO whours;  IF dhours>0 THEN
drph:=round(drat/dhours); END IF;  IF whours>0 THEN       wrph:=round(wrat/whours);  END IF;
string:=string||drat||c||wrat||c||dnorat||c||wnorat||c||              ddel||c||wdel||c||dunrch||c||wunrch||c||
    dhours||c||whours||c||drph||c||wrph;  return string;

end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Thanks.

Jie LIANG