Re: commentds on redhats new database

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: commentds on redhats new database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:28:34PM -0700, clayton cottingham wrote:
> hello:
>
> i thought id find out what people think about this:
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2778706,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_latest
>
> which basically points out that redhat will be making their own database
> based off of postgres7.1

Quoting:
The Red Hat Database, as it is likely to be called, is basedon PostgreSQL 7.1.  Included in the package will be Red
HatInstaller,which will aid users in quickly installing thedatabase, robust transaction support and advanced
lockingcapabilities.It will comply with SQL92, ODBC and JDBC APIs.

> my main concern is that this could cause some sort of splintering of the
> code base

I'll be interesting to see how their offering differs from GreatBridge.
And if their going to claim SQL'92 compliance, have they done all the
SCHEMA support work? ;-)

> could this potentially happen?

Sure, we're BSD, so they're under no obligation to share any code changes
with us. Haven't noticed many new @redhat.com email address over on HACKERS,
though, so I wonder if they've done much work on the core.

> what other concerns could there be?

Getting bug reports from code we can't look at.

Ross

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: