Обсуждение: Port Bug Report: Addendum to my earlier report today

Port Bug Report: Addendum to my earlier report today

От
Unprivileged user
Дата:
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Rachel Greenham
Your email address      : rachel@enlarion.demon.co.uk

Category                : runtime: front-end: Java
Severity                : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Linux 2.0.36 ELF

  PostgreSQL version : 6.5

  Compiler used      : egcs-2.91.60

Hardware:
---------
SuSE 6.0 AMDK6/2 128Mb RAM
Linux data 2.0.36 #8 Sat May 1 15:09:56 GMT+1 1999 i586 unknown

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
GNU Make version 3.76.1
Linux JDK 1.2 pre-release v2

Problem Description:
--------------------
To add to the earlier report, I am more and more suspecting
that it's due to running Java with native threads (which is
acknowledged to be unready). With a task-manager like program
running, I noticed that large numbers of postgres (not postmaster)tasks were
being spawned, seemingly to match the Java threads that were
running, then at one point, one more attempted hit caused the
failure. Also, when I then killed off the servlet engine, Postgres
died - all processes including postmaster, leaving behind
its lock file.

Could it be a maximum number of postgres threads problem? Or
thread non-safety in the JDBC driver?

I'm now running exclusively on green threads to see if it
ever appears there. I did see something once, but it may have
been an aberration (having restarted java with green threads
but not restarting postgres properly after it died, I suspect).

So far, under green threads it seems fine.

Please note above that as I believe this to be the case,
I've downgraded my assessment from critical to non-critical
as green-threads operation will do for now. :-)

Test Case:
----------
Hit the database repeatedly over a period with any operations
(including just selects) using the following combination:
Linux / JDK 1.2 prev2 with Native threads on
Postgres 6.5 with JDBC 6.5-1.2

Solution:
---------
For the time being, the workaround seems to be to stick to
green threads on Linux.

trouble with OpenBSD

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Hello,

I'm trying to make a 6.5 port for OpenBSD and I'm running to problems
making the package. Apologies if I'm covering known ground.

Version: PostgreSQL 6.5
Compiler: egcs-2.93.22
OS: OpenBSD 2.5 i386
Other tools:
bison-1.27
gmake-3.77

I made one patch so far in src (-m486 won't fly on non-i386 hardware):

*** template/openbsd.orig       Thu Jun 24 03:19:42 1999
--- template/openbsd    Thu Jun 24 03:20:15 1999
***************
*** 1,6 ****
  AROPT:cq
  SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
! CFLAGS:-O2 -m486 -pipe
  SRCH_INC:
  SRCH_LIB:
  USE_LOCALE:no
--- 1,6 ----
  AROPT:cq
  SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
! CFLAGS:-O2 -pipe
  SRCH_INC:
  SRCH_LIB:
  USE_LOCALE:no

My build starts getting into trouble with
src/backend/storage/buffer/buf_init.c:

cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend   -I/usr/local/include -O2 -pipe
-I../.
.   -c buf_init.c -o buf_init.o
buf_init.c: In function `InitBufferPool':
buf_init.c:241: `WaitCLSemId' undeclared (first use in this function)
buf_init.c:241: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
buf_init.c:241: for each function it appears in.)
gmake[3]: *** [buf_init.o] Error 1

To me it looks like you're missing a declaration, referring to file
bufmgr.c:
 extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;

I would add the line but I don't know if that's the real solution.

Ciao!
 --Louis

Louis Bertrand  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

Re: [PORTS] trouble with OpenBSD

Дата:
> I made one patch so far in src (-m486 won't fly on non-i386 hardware):
>
> *** template/openbsd.orig       Thu Jun 24 03:19:42 1999
> --- template/openbsd    Thu Jun 24 03:20:15 1999
> ***************
> *** 1,6 ****
>   AROPT:cq
>   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> ! CFLAGS:-O2 -m486 -pipe
>   SRCH_INC:
>   SRCH_LIB:
>   USE_LOCALE:no
> --- 1,6 ----
>   AROPT:cq
>   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> ! CFLAGS:-O2 -pipe
>   SRCH_INC:
>   SRCH_LIB:
>   USE_LOCALE:no

Applied.

> My build starts getting into trouble with
> src/backend/storage/buffer/buf_init.c:
>
> cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend   -I/usr/local/include -O2 -pipe
> -I../.
> .   -c buf_init.c -o buf_init.o
> buf_init.c: In function `InitBufferPool':
> buf_init.c:241: `WaitCLSemId' undeclared (first use in this function)
> buf_init.c:241: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> buf_init.c:241: for each function it appears in.)
> gmake[3]: *** [buf_init.o] Error 1
>
> To me it looks like you're missing a declaration, referring to file
> bufmgr.c:
>  extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
>
> I would add the line but I don't know if that's the real solution.

Yes, add them.  My new buf_init.c shows:

    #ifndef HAS_TEST_AND_SET
        {
            int         status;
-->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitIOSemId;
-->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;

            WaitIOSemId =
    IpcSemaphoreCreate(IPCKeyGetWaitIOSemaphoreKey(key),

I will add it to the main source tree.  We don't have many people using
HAS_TEST_AND_SET as undefined.

Re: [PORTS] trouble with OpenBSD

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Thanks for your response. How do I find out when the patched package will
be released (I subscribe to announce -- is that enough?).

About HAS_TEST_AND_SET: it sounds like OpenBSD should use it. I'll check
the port and make sure it's defining the right os/architecture.

Ciao!
 --Louis

Louis Bertrand  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure, Robust, Free Operating System
<http://www.openbsd.org/>  <mailto:louis@openbsd.org>

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I made one patch so far in src (-m486 won't fly on non-i386 hardware):
> >
> > *** template/openbsd.orig       Thu Jun 24 03:19:42 1999
> > --- template/openbsd    Thu Jun 24 03:20:15 1999
> > ***************
> > *** 1,6 ****
> >   AROPT:cq
> >   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> > ! CFLAGS:-O2 -m486 -pipe
> >   SRCH_INC:
> >   SRCH_LIB:
> >   USE_LOCALE:no
> > --- 1,6 ----
> >   AROPT:cq
> >   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> > ! CFLAGS:-O2 -pipe
> >   SRCH_INC:
> >   SRCH_LIB:
> >   USE_LOCALE:no
>
> Applied.
>
> > My build starts getting into trouble with
> > src/backend/storage/buffer/buf_init.c:
> >
> > cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend   -I/usr/local/include -O2 -pipe
> > -I../.
> > .   -c buf_init.c -o buf_init.o
> > buf_init.c: In function `InitBufferPool':
> > buf_init.c:241: `WaitCLSemId' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > buf_init.c:241: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > buf_init.c:241: for each function it appears in.)
> > gmake[3]: *** [buf_init.o] Error 1
> >
> > To me it looks like you're missing a declaration, referring to file
> > bufmgr.c:
> >  extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
> >
> > I would add the line but I don't know if that's the real solution.
>
> Yes, add them.  My new buf_init.c shows:
>

>     #ifndef HAS_TEST_AND_SET
>         {
>             int         status;
> -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitIOSemId;
> -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
>
>             WaitIOSemId =
>     IpcSemaphoreCreate(IPCKeyGetWaitIOSemaphoreKey(key),
>
> I will add it to the main source tree.  We don't have many people using
> HAS_TEST_AND_SET as undefined.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000

Re: [PORTS] trouble with OpenBSD

Дата:
> Thanks for your response. How do I find out when the patched package will
> be released (I subscribe to announce -- is that enough?).

Yes.

> About HAS_TEST_AND_SET: it sounds like OpenBSD should use it. I'll check
> the port and make sure it's defining the right os/architecture.

Unless you are using a new cpu, you should already have test-and-set for
that platform.  The solution has been to define separate template/*
files for each os/cpu combination to be sure the proper combination gets
used.  However, the actual locking test is done in
include/storage/s_lock.h, and it checks for various cpu types.  Not sure
how your locking define is getting set.

> Ciao!
>  --Louis
>
> Louis Bertrand  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>
> Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
> Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852
>
> OpenBSD: Secure, Robust, Free Operating System
> <http://www.openbsd.org/>  <mailto:louis@openbsd.org>
>

> On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > I made one patch so far in src (-m486 won't fly on non-i386 hardware):
> > >
> > > *** template/openbsd.orig       Thu Jun 24 03:19:42 1999
> > > --- template/openbsd    Thu Jun 24 03:20:15 1999
> > > ***************
> > > *** 1,6 ****
> > >   AROPT:cq
> > >   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> > > ! CFLAGS:-O2 -m486 -pipe
> > >   SRCH_INC:
> > >   SRCH_LIB:
> > >   USE_LOCALE:no
> > > --- 1,6 ----
> > >   AROPT:cq
> > >   SHARED_LIB:-fpic -DPIC
> > > ! CFLAGS:-O2 -pipe
> > >   SRCH_INC:
> > >   SRCH_LIB:
> > >   USE_LOCALE:no
> >
> > Applied.
> >
> > > My build starts getting into trouble with
> > > src/backend/storage/buffer/buf_init.c:
> > >
> > > cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend   -I/usr/local/include -O2 -pipe
> > > -I../.
> > > .   -c buf_init.c -o buf_init.o
> > > buf_init.c: In function `InitBufferPool':
> > > buf_init.c:241: `WaitCLSemId' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > > buf_init.c:241: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > > buf_init.c:241: for each function it appears in.)
> > > gmake[3]: *** [buf_init.o] Error 1
> > >
> > > To me it looks like you're missing a declaration, referring to file
> > > bufmgr.c:
> > >  extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
> > >
> > > I would add the line but I don't know if that's the real solution.
> >
> > Yes, add them.  My new buf_init.c shows:
> >

> >     #ifndef HAS_TEST_AND_SET
> >         {
> >             int         status;
> > -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitIOSemId;
> > -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
> >
> >             WaitIOSemId =
> >     IpcSemaphoreCreate(IPCKeyGetWaitIOSemaphoreKey(key),
> >
> > I will add it to the main source tree.  We don't have many people using
> > HAS_TEST_AND_SET as undefined.
> >
> > --
> >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
> >   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Re: [PORTS] trouble with OpenBSD

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Bruce,

Can I get a little bit more help with the OpenBSD port, please? It should
be obvious to all by now that I'm not terribly sure of what I'm doing...

$ ./config.guess
i386-unknown-openbsd2.5

I created a file include/port/openbsd.h, and used bsd.h as the initial
contents. It seems to be building but I'm not sure if it's pulling in the
right configuration.

Thanks
 --Louis

Louis Bertrand  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure, Robust, Free Operating System
<http://www.openbsd.org/>  <mailto:louis@openbsd.org>

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Thanks for your response. How do I find out when the patched package will
> > be released (I subscribe to announce -- is that enough?).
>
> Yes.
>

> > About HAS_TEST_AND_SET: it sounds like OpenBSD should use it. I'll check
> > the port and make sure it's defining the right os/architecture.
>
> Unless you are using a new cpu, you should already have test-and-set for
> that platform.  The solution has been to define separate template/*
> files for each os/cpu combination to be sure the proper combination gets
> used.  However, the actual locking test is done in
> include/storage/s_lock.h, and it checks for various cpu types.  Not sure
> how your locking define is getting set.
>

> > Ciao!
> >  --Louis
> >
> > Louis Bertrand  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>
> > Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
> > Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852
> >
> > OpenBSD: Secure, Robust, Free Operating System
> > <http://www.openbsd.org/>  <mailto:louis@openbsd.org>

> > > Applied.

> > > Yes, add them.  My new buf_init.c shows:
> > >

> > >     #ifndef HAS_TEST_AND_SET
> > >         {
> > >             int         status;
> > > -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitIOSemId;
> > > -->            extern IpcSemaphoreId WaitCLSemId;
> > >
> > >             WaitIOSemId =
> > >     IpcSemaphoreCreate(IPCKeyGetWaitIOSemaphoreKey(key),
> > >
> > > I will add it to the main source tree.  We don't have many people using
> > > HAS_TEST_AND_SET as undefined.
> > >
> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
> > >   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
> > >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> > >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> > >

> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000

Re: [PORTS] trouble with OpenBSD

Дата:
> Bruce,
>
> Can I get a little bit more help with the OpenBSD port, please? It should
> be obvious to all by now that I'm not terribly sure of what I'm doing...
>
> $ ./config.guess
> i386-unknown-openbsd2.5
>
> I created a file include/port/openbsd.h, and used bsd.h as the initial
> contents. It seems to be building but I'm not sure if it's pulling in the
> right configuration.

I am not sure how that all fits together.  Seems configure/configure.in
define the os= for the platform.  There is also an entry in
template/.similar which should match the config.guess pretty closely.
Don't use the version numbers unless you need it.  That way it will
match any openbsd.