Port Bug Report: Addendum to my earlier report today

От Unprivileged user
Тема Port Bug Report: Addendum to my earlier report today
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Rachel Greenham
Your email address      : rachel@enlarion.demon.co.uk

Category                : runtime: front-end: Java
Severity                : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Linux 2.0.36 ELF

  PostgreSQL version : 6.5

  Compiler used      : egcs-2.91.60

Hardware:
---------
SuSE 6.0 AMDK6/2 128Mb RAM
Linux data 2.0.36 #8 Sat May 1 15:09:56 GMT+1 1999 i586 unknown

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
GNU Make version 3.76.1
Linux JDK 1.2 pre-release v2

Problem Description:
--------------------
To add to the earlier report, I am more and more suspecting
that it's due to running Java with native threads (which is
acknowledged to be unready). With a task-manager like program
running, I noticed that large numbers of postgres (not postmaster)tasks were
being spawned, seemingly to match the Java threads that were
running, then at one point, one more attempted hit caused the
failure. Also, when I then killed off the servlet engine, Postgres
died - all processes including postmaster, leaving behind
its lock file.

Could it be a maximum number of postgres threads problem? Or
thread non-safety in the JDBC driver?

I'm now running exclusively on green threads to see if it
ever appears there. I did see something once, but it may have
been an aberration (having restarted java with green threads
but not restarting postgres properly after it died, I suspect).

So far, under green threads it seems fine.

Please note above that as I believe this to be the case,
I've downgraded my assessment from critical to non-critical
as green-threads operation will do for now. :-)

Test Case:
Hit the database repeatedly over a period with any operations
(including just selects) using the following combination:
Linux / JDK 1.2 prev2 with Native threads on
Postgres 6.5 with JDBC 6.5-1.2

Solution:
---------
For the time being, the workaround seems to be to stick to
green threads on Linux.