Обсуждение: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

От
"Jules Alberts"
Дата:
Hello everyone,

After upgrading to pg 7.3.1 on a RH 7.3 box with php 4.1.2 PHP won't
work anymore, it misses libpq.so.2.

This is a known issue, but the only solution I could google was
compiling a recent PHP from source or creating a softlink from
libpq.so.3 to libpq.so.2. I read that the link is a bad solution, but I
really don't like compiling and installing PHP from source.

I normally do all my packages with RPM and I'm afraid doing PHP from
source will mess this up. What will happen if I install PHP 4.3.0 from
source now, and later do an update on a more recent version with rpm?
Would I have to deinstall 4.3.0 first? How?

Thanks for any tips!

Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

От
"Peter De Muer (Work)"
Дата:
try making a soft link  libpq.so.2 to the libpq.so.3 file  that comes with
PHP 7.3.1.

regards,

pt3r

> After upgrading to pg 7.3.1 on a RH 7.3 box with php 4.1.2 PHP won't
> work anymore, it misses libpq.so.2.
>
> This is a known issue, but the only solution I could google was
> compiling a recent PHP from source or creating a softlink from
> libpq.so.3 to libpq.so.2. I read that the link is a bad solution, but I
> really don't like compiling and installing PHP from source.
>
> I normally do all my packages with RPM and I'm afraid doing PHP from
> source will mess this up. What will happen if I install PHP 4.3.0 from
> source now, and later do an update on a more recent version with rpm?
> Would I have to deinstall 4.3.0 first? How?
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

От
Matthew Horoschun
Дата:
Hi Jules,

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Peter De Muer (Work)
wrote:

> try making a soft link  libpq.so.2 to the libpq.so.3 file  that comes
> with
> PHP 7.3.1.
>>
>> This is a known issue, but the only solution I could google was
>> compiling a recent PHP from source or creating a softlink from
>> libpq.so.3 to libpq.so.2. I read that the link is a bad solution, but
>> really don't like compiling and installing PHP from source.

I think he wanted to avoid the soft link (or hard link for that
matter)... Its not a neat solution. Generally the whole reason for
changing library major numbers it to let the users know that the
exports have changed and that you'll need to recompile your client!

http://www.postgresql.org/news.php?NewsID=105

>> I normally do all my packages with RPM and I'm afraid doing PHP from
>> source will mess this up. What will happen if I install PHP 4.3.0 from
>> source now, and later do an update on a more recent version with rpm?
>> Would I have to deinstall 4.3.0 first? How?

You're right. Its good practice to use your package system wherever
possible. However, how about using a RPM source package?

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/php-4.1.2-
7.src.rpm

Matthew.

--
Matthew Horoschun
Network Administrator

Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

От
"Jules Alberts"
Дата:
Op 5 Feb 2003 (0:54), schreef Matthew Horoschun <mhoroschun@canprint.com.au>:
> Hi Jules,
>
> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Peter De Muer (Work)
> wrote:
>
> > try making a soft link  libpq.so.2 to the libpq.so.3 file  that comes
> > with
> > PHP 7.3.1.
> >>
> >> This is a known issue, but the only solution I could google was
> >> compiling a recent PHP from source or creating a softlink from
> >> libpq.so.3 to libpq.so.2. I read that the link is a bad solution, but
> >> really don't like compiling and installing PHP from source.
>
> I think he wanted to avoid the soft link (or hard link for that
> matter)... Its not a neat solution. Generally the whole reason for
> changing library major numbers it to let the users know that the
> exports have changed and that you'll need to recompile your client!
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/news.php?NewsID=105
>
> >> I normally do all my packages with RPM and I'm afraid doing PHP from
> >> source will mess this up. What will happen if I install PHP 4.3.0 from
> >> source now, and later do an update on a more recent version with rpm?
> >> Would I have to deinstall 4.3.0 first? How?
>
> You're right. Its good practice to use your package system wherever
> possible. However, how about using a RPM source package?
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/php-4.1.2-
> 7.src.rpm

Hello Matthew, thanks for your reaction. Would using a src RPM make any
difference? I guess I would do a ./configure, make and make install and
wonder just as much where alle the binaries etc. have ended up as if
when I had used a tarball source install (pardon my Dutch :-).

Are applications made ("maked") from source RPMs easier to deinstall as
apps made from tarball sources?

TIA!

Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

От
"Jules Alberts"
Дата:
Op 4 Feb 2003 (15:12), schreef Jules Alberts <jules.alberts@arbodienst-limburg.nl>:
> Op 5 Feb 2003 (0:54), schreef Matthew Horoschun <mhoroschun@canprint.com.au>:
> > Hi Jules,
> >
> > On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Peter De Muer (Work)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > try making a soft link  libpq.so.2 to the libpq.so.3 file  that comes
> > > with
> > > PHP 7.3.1.

> > I think he wanted to avoid the soft link (or hard link for that
> > matter)... Its not a neat solution. Generally the whole reason for
> > changing library major numbers it to let the users know that the
> > exports have changed and that you'll need to recompile your client!
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/news.php?NewsID=105

> > You're right. Its good practice to use your package system wherever
> > possible. However, how about using a RPM source package?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/php-4.1.2-
> > 7.src.rpm
>
> Hello Matthew, thanks for your reaction. Would using a src RPM make any
> difference? I guess I would do a ./configure, make and make install and
> wonder just as much where alle the binaries etc. have ended up as if
> when I had used a tarball source install (pardon my Dutch :-).
>
> Are applications made ("maked") from source RPMs easier to deinstall as
> apps made from tarball sources?
>
> TIA!

I tried to do a source install (what I don't really want) of PHP. It
doesn't work, complains about not finding libpq-fe.h, even when I
specify the correct postgresql path. I know there probably is a
solution for this too, but what's next?

Well, life's short and there's a lot of work to do. I'm going back to
7.2 with binary RPMs.