Обсуждение: Fw: [osdldbt-general] Running DBT5 on remote database server

Fw: [osdldbt-general] Running DBT5 on remote database server

От
amul sul

Hello,

I want test the PostgreSQL performance using DBT5, where my PostgreSQL running on server (say 192.168.56.101) and want to test the performance executing DBT5 on other machine (say 192.168.56.102).

My aim is test the database performance excluding overhead to testing tool running on same machine.

Is this possible using existing DBT5 code or need to modify somehow ?

Thanks and Regards,
Amul Sul

Re: Fw: [osdldbt-general] Running DBT5 on remote database server

От
Samrat Revagade
Дата:
>I want test the PostgreSQL performance using DBT5, where my PostgreSQL
running on server (say >192.168.56.101) and want to test the performance
executing DBT5 on other machine (say 192.168.56.102).
>My aim is test the database performance excluding overhead to testing tool
running on same machine.
>Is this possible using existing DBT5 code or need to modify somehow ?

Its always beneficial to use a wrapper script on the top of a benchmark.
In such a scenarios you can use two servers (Database server,Test server)
You can run this wrapper script on test server against database server.
In this case the resources of Database servers are used only for running the
benchmark, and Test server can be used for many activities, such as Results
collection ,resource usage collection etc. IOW you can avoid bottleneck of
testing tool.

Greg smith has written a very nice script for pgbnech benchmark.
You can reuse most of the part.
here is the link for that:
https://github.com/gregs1104/pgbench-tools
hope this will be helpful.

Thank you,
Samrat Revagade,
NTT-DATA-OSS Center (Pune)

-----
Thank You,
Samrat.R.

Re: Fw: [osdldbt-general] Running DBT5 on remote database server

От
sachin kotwal
Дата:
It is always better to run performance script and database on different
machines.

From DBT5 documentation it doesn't seems like you can connect to remote
host.
If yo found you can use that.

If it is not present then:-

Use wrapper tools like pg_bench tool which samrat has suggested .

where you can specify dbt5 command as in this tool command for pg_bench is
written.

Also check host variable in dbt5 and if it is possible to change values  for
that variable then pass address of remote host.

Re: Fw: [osdldbt-general] Running DBT5 on remote database server

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On 7/22/13 10:13 PM, amul sul wrote:
> I want test the PostgreSQL performance using DBT5, where my PostgreSQL
> running on server (say 192.168.56.101) and want to test the performance
> executing DBT5 on other machine (say 192.168.56.102).

You can do this.  Here's the help for the run_workload.sh command:

usage: run_workload.sh -c <number of customers> -d <duration of test> -u
<number of users>
other options:
        -a <pgsql>
        -b <database parameters>
        -f <scale factor. (default 500)>
        -h <database host name. (default localhost)>

"-h" is the setting that points toward another server.  You will also
need to setup the postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf on the system to allow
remote connections, the same way as this is normally done with Postgres.