Обсуждение: Testing FusionIO

Testing FusionIO

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

I have a FusionIO drive to test for a few days. I already ran iozone and
bonnie++ against it. Does anyone have more suggestions for it?

It is a single drive (unfortunately).

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Yeb Havinga
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a FusionIO drive
Cool!!
>  to test for a few days. I already ran iozone and
> bonnie++ against it. Does anyone have more suggestions for it?

Oracle has a tool to test drives specifically for database loads kinds
called orion - its free software and comes with a good manual. Download
without registration etc at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/orion/index.html

Quickstart

create file named named 'fusion.lun' with the device name, e.g.
/dev/sda1

Invoke orion tool with something like
<orion binary> -run advanced -testname fusion -num_disks 50 -size_small
4 -size_large 1024 -type rand -simulate concat -verbose -write 25
-duration 15 -matrix detailed -cache_size 256

cache size is in MB's but not so important for random io.
num disks doesn't have to match physical disks but it's used by the tool
to determine how large the test matrix should be. E.g. 1 disk gives a
small matrix with small number of concurrent io requests. So I set it to 50.

Another idea: pgbench?

regards,
Yeb Havinga

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Łukasz Jagiełło
Дата:
2010/3/8 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a FusionIO drive to test for a few days. I already ran iozone and
> bonnie++ against it. Does anyone have more suggestions for it?
>
> It is a single drive (unfortunately).

vdbench

--
Łukasz Jagiełło
System Administrator

Ul. Kruczkowskiego 12, 80-288 Gdańsk
Spółka wpisana do KRS pod nr 246596 decyzją Sądu Rejonowego Gdańsk-Północ

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops without breaking a sweat. Just make sure you shut
themdown cleanly - it can up to 30 minutes per card to recover from a crash/plug pull test.

I also have serious questions about their longevity and failure mode when the flash finally burns out. Our hardware
guysclaim they have overbuilt the amount of flash on the card to be able to do their heavy writes for >5 years, but I
remainskeptical.

On Mar 8, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a FusionIO drive to test for a few days. I already ran iozone and
> bonnie++ against it. Does anyone have more suggestions for it?
>
> It is a single drive (unfortunately).
>
> Regards,
> --
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ
> PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
> PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org
> Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
> http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Ben Chobot wrote:
> We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops without breaking a sweat. Just make sure you shut
themdown cleanly - it can up to 30 minutes per card to recover from a crash/plug pull test.

Yeah...I got into an argument with Kenny Gorman over my concerns with
how they were handling durability issues on his blog, the reading I did
about them never left me satisfied Fusion was being completely straight
with everyone about this area:  http://www.kennygorman.com/wordpress/?p=398

If it takes 30 minutes to recover, but it does recover, I guess that's
better than I feared was the case with them.  Thanks for reporting the
plug pull tests--I don't trust any report from anyone about new storage
hardware that doesn't include that little detail as part of the
testing.  You're just asking to have your data get lost without that
basic due diligence, and I'm sure not going to even buy eval hardware
from a vendor that appears evasive about it.  There's a reason I don't
personally own any SSD hardware yet.

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Ben Chobot wrote:
>> We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops without breaking a sweat. Just make sure you shut
themdown cleanly - it can up to 30 minutes per card to recover from a crash/plug pull test.

> Yeah...I got into an argument with Kenny Gorman over my concerns with how they were handling durability issues on his
blog,the reading I did about them never left me satisfied Fusion was being completely straight with everyone about this
area: http://www.kennygorman.com/wordpress/?p=398

> If it takes 30 minutes to recover, but it does recover, I guess that's better than I feared was the case with them.
Thanksfor reporting the plug pull tests--I don't trust any report from anyone about new storage hardware that doesn't
includethat little detail as part of the testing.  You're just asking to have your data get lost without that basic due
diligence,and I'm sure not going to even buy eval hardware from a vendor that appears evasive about it.  There's a
reasonI don't personally own any SSD hardware yet.

Of course, the plug pull test can never be conclusive, but we never lost any data the handful of times we did it.
Normallywe'd do it more, but with such a long reboot cycle....

But from everything we can tell, FusionIO does do reliability right.

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 09:38 -0800, Ben Chobot wrote:
> We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops
> without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, performance is excellent. I bet we could get more, but CPU was
bottleneck in our test, since it was just a demo server :(
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:30 +0200, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 09:38 -0800, Ben Chobot wrote:
> > We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops
> > without breaking a sweat.
>
> Yeah, performance is excellent. I bet we could get more, but CPU was
> bottleneck in our test, since it was just a demo server :(

Did you test the drive in all three modes?  If so, what sort of
differences did you see.

I've been hearing bad things from some folks about the quality of the
FusionIO drives from a durability standpoint. I'm Unsure if this is
vendor specific bias or not, but considering the source (which not
vendor specific), I don't think so.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:11 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:
>
> > I've been hearing bad things from some folks about the quality of the
> > FusionIO drives from a durability standpoint.
>
> Can you be more specific about that? Durability over what time frame? How many devices in the sample set? How did
FusionIOdeal with the issue?

I didn't get any specifics - as we are looking at other products.  It
did center around how FusionIO did wear-leveling though.
--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:52 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
> FusionIO is publicly claiming 24 years @ 5TB/day on the 80GB SLC device, which wear levels across 100GB of actual
installedcapacity.
> http://community.fusionio.com/forums/p/34/258.aspx#258

20% of overall capacity free for levelling doesn't strike me as a lot.
Some of the Enterprise grade stuff we are looking into (like TMS RamSan)
leaves 40% (with much larger overall capacity).

Also, running that drive at 80GB is the "Maximum Capacity" mode, which
decreases the write performance.

> Max drive performance would be about 41TB/day, which coincidently works out very close to the 3 year warranty they
haveon the devices.

To counter that:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fusioinio-iodrive-flash,2140-2.html

"Fusion-io’s wear leveling algorithm is based on a cycle of 5 TB
write/erase volume per day, resulting in 24 years run time for the 80 GB
model, 48 years for the 160 GB version and 16 years for the MLC-based
320 GB type. However, since 5 TB could be written or erased rather
quickly given the performance level, we recommend not relying on these
approximations too much."

> FusionIO's claim _seems_ credible. I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary.

Vendor claims always seem credible.  The key is to separate the
marketing hype from the actual details.

Again, I'm just passing along what I heard - which was from a
vendor-neutral, major storage consulting firm that decided to stop
recommending these drives to clients.  Make of that what you will.

As an aside, some folks in our Systems Engineering department here did
do some testing of FusionIO, and they found that the helper daemons were
inefficient and placed a fair amount of load on the server.  That might
be something to watch of for for those that are testing them.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Justin Pitts
Дата:
On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:52 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
>> FusionIO is publicly claiming 24 years @ 5TB/day on the 80GB SLC device, which wear levels across 100GB of actual
installedcapacity.
>> http://community.fusionio.com/forums/p/34/258.aspx#258
>>

> 20% of overall capacity free for levelling doesn't strike me as a lot.

I don't have any idea how to judge what amount would be right.

> Some of the Enterprise grade stuff we are looking into (like TMS RamSan)
> leaves 40% (with much larger overall capacity).
>
> Also, running that drive at 80GB is the "Maximum Capacity" mode, which
> decreases the write performance.

Very fair. In my favor, my proposed use case is probably at half capacity or less. I am getting the impression that
partitioning/formattingthe drive for the intended usage, and not the max capacity, is the way to go. Capacity isn't an
issuewith this workload. I cannot fit enough drives into these servers to get a tenth of the IOPS that even Tom's
documentsthe ioDrive is capable of at reduced performance levels.

>> Max drive performance would be about 41TB/day, which coincidently works out very close to the 3 year warranty they
haveon the devices.

> To counter that:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fusioinio-iodrive-flash,2140-2.html
>
> "Fusion-io’s wear leveling algorithm is based on a cycle of 5 TB
> write/erase volume per day, resulting in 24 years run time for the 80 GB
> model, 48 years for the 160 GB version and 16 years for the MLC-based
> 320 GB type. However, since 5 TB could be written or erased rather
> quickly given the performance level, we recommend not relying on these
> approximations too much."

I'm not sure if that is a counter or a supporting claim :)

>> FusionIO's claim _seems_ credible. I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary.
>
> Vendor claims always seem credible.  The key is to separate the
> marketing hype from the actual details.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a sample in the next few weeks.

> Again, I'm just passing along what I heard - which was from a
> vendor-neutral, major storage consulting firm that decided to stop
> recommending these drives to clients.  Make of that what you will.
>
> As an aside, some folks in our Systems Engineering department here did
> do some testing of FusionIO, and they found that the helper daemons were
> inefficient and placed a fair amount of load on the server.  That might
> be something to watch of for for those that are testing them.

That is a wonderful little nugget of knowledge that I shall put on my test plan.

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Justin Pitts
Дата:
FusionIO is publicly claiming 24 years @ 5TB/day on the 80GB SLC device, which wear levels across 100GB of actual
installedcapacity.

http://community.fusionio.com/forums/p/34/258.aspx#258

Max drive performance would be about 41TB/day, which coincidently works out very close to the 3 year warranty they have
onthe devices.

FusionIO's claim _seems_ credible. I'd love to see some evidence to the contrary.

On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:11 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
>> On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:
>>
>>> I've been hearing bad things from some folks about the quality of the
>>> FusionIO drives from a durability standpoint.
>>
>> Can you be more specific about that? Durability over what time frame? How many devices in the sample set? How did
FusionIOdeal with the issue?

> I didn't get any specifics - as we are looking at other products.  It
> did center around how FusionIO did wear-leveling though.
> --
> Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106
> Database Administrator, Afilias Canada Corp.

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Justin Pitts
Дата:
On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> I've been hearing bad things from some folks about the quality of the
> FusionIO drives from a durability standpoint.

Can you be more specific about that? Durability over what time frame? How many devices in the sample set? How did
FusionIOdeal with the issue?

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Kenny Gorman
Дата:
Greg,

Did you ever contact them and get your hands on one?

We eventually did see long SSD rebuild times on server crash as well.  But data came back uncorrupted per my blog post.
This is a good case for Slony Slaves.  Anyone in a high TX low downtime environment would have already engineered
aroundneeding to wait for rebuild/recover times anyway.  So it's not a deal killer in my view.

-kg

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Ben Chobot wrote:
>> We've enjoyed our FusionIO drives very much. They can do 100k iops without breaking a sweat. Just make sure you shut
themdown cleanly - it can up to 30 minutes per card to recover from a crash/plug pull test.

> Yeah...I got into an argument with Kenny Gorman over my concerns with how they were handling durability issues on his
blog,the reading I did about them never left me satisfied Fusion was being completely straight with everyone about this
area: http://www.kennygorman.com/wordpress/?p=398

> If it takes 30 minutes to recover, but it does recover, I guess that's better than I feared was the case with them.
Thanksfor reporting the plug pull tests--I don't trust any report from anyone about new storage hardware that doesn't
includethat little detail as part of the testing.  You're just asking to have your data get lost without that basic due
diligence,and I'm sure not going to even buy eval hardware from a vendor that appears evasive about it.  There's a
reasonI don't personally own any SSD hardware yet.

> --
> Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> greg@2ndQuadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:11 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 09:52 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:
> >> FusionIO is publicly claiming 24 years @ 5TB/day on the 80GB SLC device, which wear levels across 100GB of actual
installedcapacity.
> >> http://community.fusionio.com/forums/p/34/258.aspx#258
> >>

> > 20% of overall capacity free for levelling doesn't strike me as a lot.
>
> I don't have any idea how to judge what amount would be right.
>
> > Some of the Enterprise grade stuff we are looking into (like TMS RamSan)
> > leaves 40% (with much larger overall capacity).
> >
> > Also, running that drive at 80GB is the "Maximum Capacity" mode, which
> > decreases the write performance.
>
> Very fair. In my favor, my proposed use case is probably at half capacity or less. I am getting the impression that
partitioning/formattingthe drive for the intended usage, and not the max capacity, is the way to go. Capacity isn't an
issuewith this workload. I cannot fit enough drives into these servers to get a tenth of the IOPS that even Tom's
documentsthe ioDrive is capable of at reduced performance levels.

The actual media is only good for a very limited number of write cycles.  The way that the drives get around to be
reliableis to
constantly write to different areas.  The more you have free, the less you have to re-use, the longer the lifespan.

This is done by the drives wear levelling algorithms, not by using
partitioning utilities btw.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
david@lang.hm
Дата:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:11 -0400, Justin Pitts wrote:

>>> 20% of overall capacity free for levelling doesn't strike me as a lot.
>>
>> I don't have any idea how to judge what amount would be right.
>>
>>> Some of the Enterprise grade stuff we are looking into (like TMS RamSan)
>>> leaves 40% (with much larger overall capacity).
>>>
>>> Also, running that drive at 80GB is the "Maximum Capacity" mode, which
>>> decreases the write performance.
>>
>> Very fair. In my favor, my proposed use case is probably at half capacity or less. I am getting the impression that
partitioning/formattingthe drive for the intended usage, and not the max capacity, is the way to go. Capacity isn't an
issuewith this workload. I cannot fit enough drives into these servers to get a tenth of the IOPS that even Tom's
documentsthe ioDrive is capable of at reduced performance levels.

> The actual media is only good for a very limited number of write cycles.  The way that the drives get around to be
reliableis to
> constantly write to different areas.  The more you have free, the less you have to re-use, the longer the lifespan.
>
> This is done by the drives wear levelling algorithms, not by using
> partitioning utilities btw.

true, but if the drive is partitioned so that parts of it are never
written to by the OS, the drive knows that those parts don't contain data
and so can treat them as unallocated.

once the OS writes to a part of the drive, unless the OS issues a trim
command the drive can't know that the data there is worthless and can be
ignored, it has to try and preserve that data, which makes doing the wear
leveling harder and slower.

David Lang

Re: Testing FusionIO

От
Ben Chobot
Дата:
On Mar 17, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> As an aside, some folks in our Systems Engineering department here did
> do some testing of FusionIO, and they found that the helper daemons were
> inefficient and placed a fair amount of load on the server.  That might
> be something to watch of for for those that are testing them.

As another anecdote, we have 4 of the 160GB cards in a 24-core Istanbul server. I don't know how efficient the helper
daemonsare, but they do take up about half of one core's cycles, regardless of how busy the box actually is. So that
sounds"bad".... until you take into account how much that one core costs, and compare it to how much it would cost to
havethe same amount of IOPs in a different form.