Обсуждение: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
"Nikhil G. Daddikar"
Дата:
Hello,

I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance
of my postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information
is vague and most often then not the answer is "it depends". Can anyone
of you refer me a nice guide or tutorial on this?

Thanks.

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Nikhil G. Daddikar <ngd@celoxis.com> schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance
> of my postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information
> is vague and most often then not the answer is "it depends". Can anyone
> of you refer me a nice guide or tutorial on this?

Depends ;-)

You can log queries with an execution time more than N milliseconds via
log_min_duration. You can analyse the log with tools like pgfouine. And
you can analyse such queries with EXPLAIN ANALYSE.

But, i don't know your current problem, that's why my answer are a little
bit vague...

Andreas

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Nikhil G. Daddikar <ngd@celoxis.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance of
> my postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information is vague
> and most often then not the answer is "it depends". Can anyone of you refer
> me a nice guide or tutorial on this?

If you run nagios, lookup the pgsql nagios plugin.  it's quite an
impressive little bit of code.

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:

> I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance of my
> postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information is vague and
> most often then not the answer is "it depends".

That's because it does depend.  I collect up the best of resources out
there and keep track of them at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization so if you didn't
find that yet there's probably some good ones you missed.

Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
vagueness you point out here, but that's still a few weeks away from being
ready.

Monitoring performance isn't really covered in any of this though.  Right
now the best simple solution out there is probably Nagios with the
PostgreSQL plug-in.

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le Friday 27 June 2008, Scott Marlowe a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Nikhil G. Daddikar <ngd@celoxis.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance
> > of my postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information is
> > vague and most often then not the answer is "it depends". Can anyone of
> > you refer me a nice guide or tutorial on this?
>
> If you run nagios, lookup the pgsql nagios plugin.  it's quite an
> impressive little bit of code.

http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/ but it only supervise afaik

you can collect data and monitor with munin :
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/muninpgplugins/

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données

Вложения

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
"Francisco Reyes"
Дата:
On 2:59 pm 06/29/08 Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
> straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
> vagueness you point out here,

Was that ever completed?

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On 2:59 pm 06/29/08 Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
>> Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
>> straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
>> vagueness you point out here,
>
> Was that ever completed?

Not done yet; we're planning to have a first rev done in another couple of
weeks.  The work in progress is at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server and I'm due
to work out another set of improvements to that this week during OSCON.

Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

От
"Mark Wong"
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> On 2:59 pm 06/29/08 Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
>>> straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
>>> vagueness you point out here,
>>
>> Was that ever completed?
>
> Not done yet; we're planning to have a first rev done in another couple of
> weeks.  The work in progress is at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server and I'm due to
> work out another set of improvements to that this week during OSCON.

I'd also like to point out we're putting together some data revolving
about software raid, hardware raid, volume management, and filesystem
performance on a system donated by HP here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5_Tuning_Guide

Note that it's also a living guide and we've haven't started covering
some of the things I just mentioned.

Regards,
Mark