Обсуждение: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От
"soni de"
Дата:
Hello,

In Postgres 7.2.4, COPY command is working fine even if tables have 6 fields but we are copying only 5 fields from the file

But in Postgres 8.2.0, if table has 6 fields and we need to copy data for 5 fields only, then we need to specify the column names too in COPY command.

Is there any configurable option, so that without specifying column name in COPY command we can copy records in table as happened in Postgres 7.2.4?

Please provide us some help regarding above query.

Thanks,

Soni

Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
Дата:
On 2007-09-14 soni de wrote:
> In Postgres 7.2.4, COPY command is working fine even if tables have 6
> fields but we are copying only 5 fields from the file
>
> But in Postgres 8.2.0, if table has 6 fields and we need to copy data
> for 5 fields only, then we need to specify the column names too in
> COPY command.
>
> Is there any configurable option, so that without specifying column
> name in COPY command we can copy records in table as happened in
> Postgres 7.2.4?

I don't know if it is possible, but even if it were I'd strongly
recommend against it, as you'd be relying on the order the columns were
created in. That's a rather bad idea IMHO. Why would you want to avoid
giving the names of the columns in the first place?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."

Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От
"soni de"
Дата:
We have upgraded postgres from 7.2.4 to 8.2.0.
We have program which executes COPY command and our new database is changed having some extra columns in some tables.
Because of this, COPY commands are failing.
So, we wanted the option to COPY the data without specifying column names.

Thanks,
Sonal

On 2007-09-14 soni de wrote:
> In Postgres 7.2.4, COPY command is working fine even if tables have 6
> fields but we are copying only 5 fields from the file
>
> But in Postgres 8.2.0, if table has 6 fields and we need to copy data
> for 5 fields only, then we need to specify the column names too in
> COPY command.
>
> Is there any configurable option, so that without specifying column
> name in COPY command we can copy records in table as happened in
> Postgres 7.2.4?

I don't know if it is possible, but even if it were I'd strongly
recommend against it, as you'd be relying on the order the columns were
created in. That's a rather bad idea IMHO. Why would you want to avoid
giving the names of the columns in the first place?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."
--http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2004/tn2118.html

      match

Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От
"Evan Carroll"
Дата:
On 9/17/07, soni de <soni.de@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have upgraded postgres from 7.2.4 to 8.2.0.

This is one of the joys of 8.x over 7.2.x think of it like a different
sql product rather than an "upgrade." Its foundations are different.
7.4.x is still supported, and would have been a smoother upgrade for
you with less deprecations removed. To insert such a feature dependent
on column order without it being implied in the spec would be surely
be something deprecated quite quickly.

> We have program which executes COPY command and our new database is changed
> having some extra columns in some tables.
> Because of this, COPY commands are failing.
> So, we wanted the option to COPY the data without specifying column names.

The only way I can see a request, that allows for such bad-practice,
being approved would be if you were to use the '*' operator elegantly;
and, even then it would require you to update your code, only slightly
to a lesser degree than writing the column names.

Evan Carroll

Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 9/17/07, soni de <soni.de@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have upgraded postgres from 7.2.4 to 8.2.0.
> We have program which executes COPY command and our new database is changed
> having some extra columns in some tables.
> Because of this, COPY commands are failing.
> So, we wanted the option to COPY the data without specifying column names.

Can't you just edit the import to have the newer 8.2.x syntax of

COPY table (field1, field2, field3, field4) FROM stdin;

???

And please tell me you aren't running 8.2.0, but 8.2.4 or now that it
just came out, 8.2.5.  Those minor point releases contain a lot of bug
fixes, and you're just asking for trouble by running a .0 release.