Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0

От Evan Carroll
Тема Re: Regarding COPY command from Postgres 8.2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/17/07, soni de <soni.de@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have upgraded postgres from 7.2.4 to 8.2.0.

This is one of the joys of 8.x over 7.2.x think of it like a different
sql product rather than an "upgrade." Its foundations are different.
7.4.x is still supported, and would have been a smoother upgrade for
you with less deprecations removed. To insert such a feature dependent
on column order without it being implied in the spec would be surely
be something deprecated quite quickly.

> We have program which executes COPY command and our new database is changed
> having some extra columns in some tables.
> Because of this, COPY commands are failing.
> So, we wanted the option to COPY the data without specifying column names.

The only way I can see a request, that allows for such bad-practice,
being approved would be if you were to use the '*' operator elegantly;
and, even then it would require you to update your code, only slightly
to a lesser degree than writing the column names.

Evan Carroll