Обсуждение: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
I am thrill to inform you all that Sun has just donated a fully loaded
T2000 system to the PostgreSQL community, and it's being setup by Corey
Shields at OSL (osuosl.org) and should be online probably early next
week. The system has

* 8 cores, 4 hw threads/core @ 1.2 GHz. Solaris sees the system as
having 32 virtual CPUs, and each can be enabled or disabled individually
* 32 GB of DDR2 SDRAM memory
* 2 @ 73GB internal SAS drives (10000 RPM)
* 4 Gigabit ethernet ports

For complete spec, visit
http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/specifications.jsp

I think this system is well suited for PG scalability testing, among
others. We did an informal test using an internal OLTP benchmark and
noticed that PG can scale to around 8 CPUs. Would be really cool if all
32 virtual CPUs can be utilized!!!

Anyways, if you need to access the system for testing purposes, please
contact Josh Berkus.

Regards,

Robert Lor
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
01-510-574-7189

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

> I am thrill to inform you all that Sun has just donated a fully loaded
> T2000 system to the PostgreSQL community, and it's being setup by Corey
> Shields at OSL (osuosl.org) and should be online probably early next
> week. The system has

So this system will be hosted by Open Source Lab in Oregon.  It's going to
be "donated" to Software In the Public Interest, who will own for the
PostgreSQL fund.

We'll want to figure out a scheduling system to schedule performance and
compatibility testing on this machine; I'm not sure exactly how that will
work.  Suggestions welcome.  As a warning, Gavin Sherry and I have a bunch
of pending tests already to run.

First thing as soon as I have a login, of course, is to set up a Buildfarm
instance.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Arjen van der Meijden
Дата:
On 16-6-2006 17:18, Robert Lor wrote:

> I think this system is well suited for PG scalability testing, among
> others. We did an informal test using an internal OLTP benchmark and
> noticed that PG can scale to around 8 CPUs. Would be really cool if all
> 32 virtual CPUs can be utilized!!!

I can already confirm very good scalability (with our workload) on
postgresql on that machine. We've been testing a 32thread/16G-version
and it shows near-linear scaling when enabling 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 cores
(with all four threads enabled).

The threads are a bit less scalable, but still pretty good. Enabling 1,
2 or 4 threads for each core yields resp 60 and 130% extra performance.

Best regards,

Arjen

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Arjen,

> I can already confirm very good scalability (with our workload) on
> postgresql on that machine. We've been testing a 32thread/16G-version
> and it shows near-linear scaling when enabling 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 cores
> (with all four threads enabled).

Keen.   We're trying to keep the linear scaling going up to 32 cores of
course (which doesn't happen, presently).  Would you be interested in
helping us troubleshoot some of the performance issues?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> I am thrill to inform you all that Sun has just donated a fully loaded
> T2000 system to the PostgreSQL community, and it's being setup by Corey
> Shields at OSL (osuosl.org) and should be online probably early next
> week. The system has
>
> * 8 cores, 4 hw threads/core @ 1.2 GHz. Solaris sees the system as
> having 32 virtual CPUs, and each can be enabled or disabled individually
> * 32 GB of DDR2 SDRAM memory
> * 2 @ 73GB internal SAS drives (10000 RPM)
> * 4 Gigabit ethernet ports
>
> For complete spec, visit
> http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/specifications.jsp
>
> I think this system is well suited for PG scalability testing, among
> others. We did an informal test using an internal OLTP benchmark and
> noticed that PG can scale to around 8 CPUs. Would be really cool if all
> 32 virtual CPUs can be utilized!!!

Interesting. We (some Japanese companies including SRA OSS,
Inc. Japan) did some PG scalability testing using a Unisys's big 16
(physical) CPU machine and found PG scales up to 8 CPUs. However
beyond 8 CPU PG does not scale anymore. The result can be viewed at
"OSS iPedia" web site (http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp). Our conclusion was
PG has a serious lock contention problem in the environment by
analyzing the oprofile result.

You can take a look at the detailed report at:
http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp/capacity/EV0604210111/
(unfortunately only Japanese contents is available at the
moment. Please use some automatic translation services)

Evalution environment was:
PostgreSQL 8.1.2
OSDL DBT-1 2.1
Miracle Linux 4.0
Unisys ES700 Xeon 2.8GHz CPU x 16 Mem 16GB(HT off)
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> Interesting. We (some Japanese companies including SRA OSS,
> Inc. Japan) did some PG scalability testing using a Unisys's big 16
> (physical) CPU machine and found PG scales up to 8 CPUs. However
> beyond 8 CPU PG does not scale anymore. The result can be viewed at
> "OSS iPedia" web site (http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp). Our conclusion was
> PG has a serious lock contention problem in the environment by
> analyzing the oprofile result.

18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?

The test case seems to be spending a remarkable amount of time in LIKE
comparisons, too.  That probably is not a representative condition.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> > Interesting. We (some Japanese companies including SRA OSS,
> > Inc. Japan) did some PG scalability testing using a Unisys's big 16
> > (physical) CPU machine and found PG scales up to 8 CPUs. However
> > beyond 8 CPU PG does not scale anymore. The result can be viewed at
> > "OSS iPedia" web site (http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp). Our conclusion was
> > PG has a serious lock contention problem in the environment by
> > analyzing the oprofile result.
>
> 18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
> LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?

Yes. We were interested in that too. Some people did addtional tests
to determin that. I don't have the report handy now. I will report
back next week.

> The test case seems to be spending a remarkable amount of time in LIKE
> comparisons, too.  That probably is not a representative condition.

I know. I think point is 18% in s_lock only appears with 12 CPUs or more.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

> I can already confirm very good scalability (with our workload) on
> postgresql on that machine. We've been testing a 32thread/16G-version
> and it shows near-linear scaling when enabling 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 cores
> (with all four threads enabled).
>
> The threads are a bit less scalable, but still pretty good. Enabling
> 1, 2 or 4 threads for each core yields resp 60 and 130% extra
> performance.

Wow, what type of workload is it? And did you do much tuning to get
near-linear scalability to 32 threads?

Regards,
-Robert

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Tom,

> 18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
> LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?

Gavin Sherry and Tom Daly (Sun) are currently working on identifying the
problem lock using DLWLOCK_STATS.  Any luck, Gavin?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
>> I am thrill to inform you all that Sun has just donated a fully
>> loaded
>> T2000 system to the PostgreSQL community, and it's being setup by
>> Corey
>> Shields at OSL (osuosl.org) and should be online probably early next
>> week. The system has
>
> So this system will be hosted by Open Source Lab in Oregon.  It's
> going to
> be "donated" to Software In the Public Interest, who will own for the
> PostgreSQL fund.
>
> We'll want to figure out a scheduling system to schedule
> performance and
> compatibility testing on this machine; I'm not sure exactly how
> that will
> work.  Suggestions welcome.  As a warning, Gavin Sherry and I have
> a bunch
> of pending tests already to run.
>
> First thing as soon as I have a login, of course, is to set up a
> Buildfarm
> instance.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> First thing as soon as I have a login, of course, is to set up a
> Buildfarm
> instance.

Keep in mind that buildfarm clients and benchmarking stuff don't
usually mix well.

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Arjen van der Meijden
Дата:
On 17-6-2006 1:24, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Arjen,
>
>> I can already confirm very good scalability (with our workload) on
>> postgresql on that machine. We've been testing a 32thread/16G-version
>> and it shows near-linear scaling when enabling 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 cores
>> (with all four threads enabled).
>
> Keen.   We're trying to keep the linear scaling going up to 32 cores of
> course (which doesn't happen, presently).  Would you be interested in
> helping us troubleshoot some of the performance issues?

You can ask your questions, if I happen to do know the answer, you're a
step further in the right direction.

But actually, I didn't do much to get this scalability... So I won't be
of much help to you, its not that I spent hours on getting this performance.
I just started out with the "normal" attempts to get a good config.
Currently the shared buffers is set to 30k. Larger settings didn't seem
to differ much on our previous 4-core version, so I didn't even check it
out on this one. I noticed I forgot to set the effective cache size to
more than 6G for this one too, but since our database is smaller than
that, that shouldn't make any difference. The work memory was increased
a bit to 2K. So there are no magic tricks here.

I do have to add its a recent checkout of 8.2devel compiled using Sun
Studio 11. It was compiled using this as CPPFLAGS: -xtarget=ultraT1
-fast -xnolibmopt

The -xnolibmopt was added because we couldn't figure out why it yielded
several linking errors at the end of the compilation when the -xlibmopt
from -fast was enabled, so we disabled that particular setting from the
-fast macro.

The workload generated is an abstraction and simplification of our
website's workload, used for benchmarking. Its basically a news and
price comparision site and it runs on LAMP (with the M of MySQL), i.e. a
lot of light queries, many primary-key or indexed "foreign-key" lookups
for little amounts of records. Some aggregations for summaries, etc.
There are little writes and hardly any on the most read tables.
The database easily fits in memory, the total size of the actively read
tables is about 3G.
This PostgreSQL-version is not a direct copy of the queries and tables,
but I made an effort of getting it more PostgreSQL-minded as much as
possible. I.e. I combined a few queries, I changed "boolean"-enum's in
MySQL to real booleans in Postgres, I added specific indexes (including
partials) etc.

We use apache+php as clients and just open X apache processes using 'ab'
at the same time to generate various amounts of concurrent workloads.
Solaris scales really well to higher concurrencies and PostgreSQL
doesn't seem to have problems with it either in our workload.

So its not really a real-life scenario, but its not a synthetic
benchmark either.

Here is a graph of our performance measured on PostgreSQL:
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/T2000-schaling-postgresql.png

What you see are three lines. Each represents the amount of total "page
views" processed in 600 seconds for a specific amount of Niagara-cores
(i.e. 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8). Each core had all its threads enabled, so its
actually 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 virtual cpu's you're looking at.
The "Max"-line displays the maximum generated "page views" on a specific
core-amount for any concurrency, respectively: 5, 13, 35, 45 and 60.
The "Bij 50" is the amount of "page views" it generated with 50
apache-processes working at the same time (on two dual xeon machines, so
25 each). I took 50 a bit arbitrary but all core-configs seemed to do
pretty well under that workload.

The "perfect" line is based on the "Max" value for 1 core and then just
multiplied by the amount of cores to have a linear reference. The "Bij
50" and the "perfect" line don't differ too much in color, but the
top-one is the "perfect" line.

In the near future we'll be presenting an article on this on our
website, although that will be in dutch the graphs should still be easy
to read for you guys.
And because of that I can't promise too much detailed information until
then.

I hope I clarified things a bit now, if not ask me about it,
Best regards,

Arjen

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Andrew Dunstan

Jim Nasby wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> First thing as soon as I have a login, of course, is to set up a
>> Buildfarm
>> instance.
>

> Keep in mind that buildfarm clients and benchmarking stuff don't
> usually mix well.

On a fast machine like this a buildfarm run is not going to take very
long. You could run those once a day at times of low demand. Or even
once or twice a week.

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
David Roussel
Дата:
Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

Here is a graph of our performance measured on PostgreSQL:
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/T2000-schaling-postgresql.png

The "perfect" line is based on the "Max" value for 1 core and then just multiplied by the amount of cores to have a linear reference. The "Bij 50" and the "perfect" line don't differ too much in color, but the top-one is the "perfect" line.

Sureky the 'perfect' line ought to be linear?  If the performance was perfectly linear, then the 'pages generated' ought to be G times the number (virtual) processors, where G is the gradient of the graph.  In such a case the graph will go through the origin (o,o), but you graph does not show this.

I'm a bit confused, what is the 'perfect' supposed to be?

Thanks

David

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Arjen van der Meijden
Дата:
On 22-6-2006 15:03, David Roussel wrote:
> Sureky the 'perfect' line ought to be linear?  If the performance was
> perfectly linear, then the 'pages generated' ought to be G times the
> number (virtual) processors, where G is the gradient of the graph.  In
> such a case the graph will go through the origin (o,o), but you graph
> does not show this.
>
> I'm a bit confused, what is the 'perfect' supposed to be?

First of all, this graph has no origin. Its a bit difficult to test with
less than one cpu.

Anyway, the line actually is linear and would've gone through the
origin, if there was one. What I did was take the level of the
'max'-line at 1 and then multiply it by 2, 4, 6 and 8. So if at 1 the
level would've been 22000, the 2 would be 44000 and the 8 176000.

Please do notice the distance between 1 and 2 on the x-axis is the same
as between 2 and 4, which makes the graph a bit harder to read.

Best regards,

Arjen

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
"Craig A. James"
Дата:
Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> First of all, this graph has no origin. Its a bit difficult to test with
> less than one cpu.

Sure it does.  I ran all the tests.  They all took infinite time, and I got zero results.  And my results are 100%
accurateand reliable.  It's perfectly valid data. :-)

Craig

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
> > > Interesting. We (some Japanese companies including SRA OSS,
> > > Inc. Japan) did some PG scalability testing using a Unisys's big 16
> > > (physical) CPU machine and found PG scales up to 8 CPUs. However
> > > beyond 8 CPU PG does not scale anymore. The result can be viewed at
> > > "OSS iPedia" web site (http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp). Our conclusion was
> > > PG has a serious lock contention problem in the environment by
> > > analyzing the oprofile result.
> >
> > 18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
> > LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?
>
> Yes. We were interested in that too. Some people did addtional tests
> to determin that. I don't have the report handy now. I will report
> back next week.

Sorry for the delay. Finally I got the oprofile data. It's
huge(34MB). If you are interested, I can put somewhere. Please let me
know.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>>> 18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
>>> LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?
>>
>> Yes. We were interested in that too. Some people did addtional tests
>> to determin that. I don't have the report handy now. I will report
>> back next week.

> Sorry for the delay. Finally I got the oprofile data. It's
> huge(34MB). If you are interested, I can put somewhere. Please let me
> know.

Yes, please.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>>> 18% in s_lock is definitely bad :-(.  Were you able to determine which
>>> LWLock(s) are accounting for the contention?

> Sorry for the delay. Finally I got the oprofile data. It's
> huge(34MB). If you are interested, I can put somewhere. Please let me
> know.

I finally got a chance to look at this, and it seems clear that all the
traffic is on the BufMappingLock.  This is essentially the same problem
we were discussing with respect to Gavin Hamill's report of poor
performance on an 8-way IBM PPC64 box (see hackers archives around
2006-04-21).  If your database is fully cached in shared buffers, then
you can do a whole lot of buffer accesses per unit time, and even though
all the BufMappingLock acquisitions are in shared-LWLock mode, the
LWLock's spinlock ends up being heavily contended on an SMP box.

It's likely that CVS HEAD would show somewhat better performance because
of the btree change to cache local copies of index metapages (which
eliminates a fair fraction of buffer accesses, at least in Gavin's test
case).   Getting much further than that seems to require partitioning
the buffer mapping table.  The last discussion stalled on my concerns
about unpredictable shared memory usage, but I have some ideas on that
which I'll post separately.  In the meantime, thanks for sending along
the oprofile data!

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>>Sorry for the delay. Finally I got the oprofile data. It's
>>huge(34MB). If you are interested, I can put somewhere. Please let me
>>know.
>>

>I finally got a chance to look at this, and it seems clear that all the
>traffic is on the BufMappingLock.  This is essentially the same problem
>we were discussing with respect to Gavin Hamill's report of poor
>performance on an 8-way IBM PPC64 box (see hackers archives around
>2006-04-21).  If your database is fully cached in shared buffers, then
>you can do a whole lot of buffer accesses per unit time, and even though
>all the BufMappingLock acquisitions are in shared-LWLock mode, the
>LWLock's spinlock ends up being heavily contended on an SMP box.
>
>It's likely that CVS HEAD would show somewhat better performance because
>of the btree change to cache local copies of index metapages (which
>eliminates a fair fraction of buffer accesses, at least in Gavin's test
>case).   Getting much further than that seems to require partitioning
>the buffer mapping table.  The last discussion stalled on my concerns
>about unpredictable shared memory usage, but I have some ideas on that
>which I'll post separately.  In the meantime, thanks for sending along
>the oprofile data!
>
>            regards, tom lane

I ran pgbench and fired up a DTrace script using the lwlock probes we've
added, and it looks like BufMappingLock is the most contended lock, but
CheckpointStartLocks are held for longer duration!

             Lock Id            Mode           Count
     ControlFileLock       Exclusive               1
 SubtransControlLock       Exclusive               1
    BgWriterCommLock       Exclusive               6
       FreeSpaceLock       Exclusive               6
    FirstLockMgrLock       Exclusive              48
     BufFreelistLock       Exclusive              74
      BufMappingLock       Exclusive              74
     CLogControlLock       Exclusive             184
          XidGenLock       Exclusive             184
 CheckpointStartLock          Shared             185
        WALWriteLock       Exclusive             185
       ProcArrayLock       Exclusive             368
     CLogControlLock          Shared             552
 SubtransControlLock          Shared            1273
       WALInsertLock       Exclusive            1476
          XidGenLock          Shared            1842
       ProcArrayLock          Shared            3160
          SInvalLock          Shared            3684
      BufMappingLock          Shared           14578

             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
     ControlFileLock                 7915
    BgWriterCommLock                43438
       FreeSpaceLock               111139
     BufFreelistLock               448530
    FirstLockMgrLock              2879957
     CLogControlLock              4237750
 SubtransControlLock              6378042
          XidGenLock              9500422
       WALInsertLock             16372040
          SInvalLock             23284554
       ProcArrayLock             32188638
      BufMappingLock            113128512
        WALWriteLock            142391501
 CheckpointStartLock           4171106665

Regards,
-Robert

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> writes:
> I ran pgbench and fired up a DTrace script using the lwlock probes we've
> added, and it looks like BufMappingLock is the most contended lock, but
> CheckpointStartLocks are held for longer duration!

Those numbers look a bit suspicious --- I'd expect to see some of the
LWLocks being taken in both shared and exclusive modes, but you don't
show any such cases.  You sure your script is counting correctly?
Also, it'd be interesting to count time spent holding shared lock
separately from time spent holding exclusive.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 12:56:56AM -0700, Robert Lor wrote:
> I ran pgbench and fired up a DTrace script using the lwlock probes we've
> added, and it looks like BufMappingLock is the most contended lock, but
> CheckpointStartLocks are held for longer duration!

Not terribly surprising given that that lock can generate a substantial
amount of IO (though looking at the numbers, you might want to make
bgwriter more aggressive). Also, that's a shared lock, so it won't have
nearly the impact that BufMappingLock does.

>             Lock Id            Mode           Count
>     ControlFileLock       Exclusive               1
> SubtransControlLock       Exclusive               1
>    BgWriterCommLock       Exclusive               6
>       FreeSpaceLock       Exclusive               6
>    FirstLockMgrLock       Exclusive              48
>     BufFreelistLock       Exclusive              74
>      BufMappingLock       Exclusive              74
>     CLogControlLock       Exclusive             184
>          XidGenLock       Exclusive             184
> CheckpointStartLock          Shared             185
>        WALWriteLock       Exclusive             185
>       ProcArrayLock       Exclusive             368
>     CLogControlLock          Shared             552
> SubtransControlLock          Shared            1273
>       WALInsertLock       Exclusive            1476
>          XidGenLock          Shared            1842
>       ProcArrayLock          Shared            3160
>          SInvalLock          Shared            3684
>      BufMappingLock          Shared           14578
>
>             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
>     ControlFileLock                 7915
>    BgWriterCommLock                43438
>       FreeSpaceLock               111139
>     BufFreelistLock               448530
>    FirstLockMgrLock              2879957
>     CLogControlLock              4237750
> SubtransControlLock              6378042
>          XidGenLock              9500422
>       WALInsertLock             16372040
>          SInvalLock             23284554
>       ProcArrayLock             32188638
>      BufMappingLock            113128512
>        WALWriteLock            142391501
> CheckpointStartLock           4171106665
>

> Regards,
> -Robert

Re: [HACKERS] Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

От
Sven Geisler
Дата:
Hi,

Tom Lane schrieb:
> Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> writes:
>> I ran pgbench and fired up a DTrace script using the lwlock probes we've
>> added, and it looks like BufMappingLock is the most contended lock, but
>> CheckpointStartLocks are held for longer duration!
>
> Those numbers look a bit suspicious --- I'd expect to see some of the
> LWLocks being taken in both shared and exclusive modes, but you don't
> show any such cases.  You sure your script is counting correctly?
> Also, it'd be interesting to count time spent holding shared lock
> separately from time spent holding exclusive.

Is there a test case which shows the contention for this full cached
tables? It would be nice to have measurable numbers like context
switches and queries per second.

Sven.

Tom Lane wrote:

>Those numbers look a bit suspicious --- I'd expect to see some of the
>LWLocks being taken in both shared and exclusive modes, but you don't
>show any such cases. You sure your script is counting correctly?

I'll double check to make sure no stupid mistakes were made!

>Also, it'd be interesting to count time spent holding shared lock
>separately from time spent holding exclusive.

Will provide that data later today.

Regards,
-Robert

Tom Lane wrote:

>Also, it'd be interesting to count time spent holding shared lock
>separately from time spent holding exclusive.

Tom,

Here is the break down between exclusive & shared LWLocks. Do the
numbers look reasonable to you?

Regards,
-Robert

bash-3.00# time ./Tom_lwlock_acquire.d `pgrep -n postgres`
********** LWLock Count: Exclusive **********
             Lock Id            Mode           Count
     ControlFileLock       Exclusive               1
       FreeSpaceLock       Exclusive               9
          XidGenLock       Exclusive             202
     CLogControlLock       Exclusive             203
        WALWriteLock       Exclusive             203
    BgWriterCommLock       Exclusive             222
     BufFreelistLock       Exclusive             305
      BufMappingLock       Exclusive             305
       ProcArrayLock       Exclusive             405
    FirstLockMgrLock       Exclusive             670
       WALInsertLock       Exclusive            1616

********** LWLock Count: Shared **********
             Lock Id            Mode           Count
 CheckpointStartLock          Shared             202
     CLogControlLock          Shared             450
 SubtransControlLock          Shared             776
          XidGenLock          Shared            2020
       ProcArrayLock          Shared            3778
          SInvalLock          Shared            4040
      BufMappingLock          Shared           40838

********** LWLock Time: Exclusive **********
             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
     ControlFileLock                 8301
       FreeSpaceLock                80590
     CLogControlLock              1603557
    BgWriterCommLock              1607122
     BufFreelistLock              1997406
          XidGenLock              2312442
      BufMappingLock              3161683
    FirstLockMgrLock              5392575
       ProcArrayLock              6034396
       WALInsertLock             12277693
        WALWriteLock            324869744

********** LWLock Time: Shared **********
             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
     CLogControlLock              3183788
 SubtransControlLock              6956229
          XidGenLock             12012576
          SInvalLock             35567976
       ProcArrayLock             45400779
      BufMappingLock            300669441
 CheckpointStartLock           4056134243

real    0m24.718s
user    0m0.382s
sys     0m0.181s

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> writes:
> Here is the break down between exclusive & shared LWLocks. Do the
> numbers look reasonable to you?

Yeah, those seem plausible, although the hold time for
CheckpointStartLock seems awfully high --- about 20 msec
per transaction.  Are you using a nonzero commit_delay?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>>> Interesting. We (some Japanese companies including SRA OSS,
>>> Inc. Japan) did some PG scalability testing using a Unisys's big 16
>>> (physical) CPU machine and found PG scales up to 8 CPUs. However
>>> beyond 8 CPU PG does not scale anymore. The result can be viewed at
>>> "OSS iPedia" web site (http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp). Our conclusion was
>>> PG has a serious lock contention problem in the environment by
>>> analyzing the oprofile result.

Can you retry this test case using CVS tip?  I'm curious to see if
having partitioned the BufMappingLock helps ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Yeah, those seem plausible, although the hold time for
>CheckpointStartLock seems awfully high --- about 20 msec
>per transaction.  Are you using a nonzero commit_delay?

I didn't change commit_delay which defaults to zero.

Regards,
-Robert

Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL

Дата:
Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, those seem plausible, although the hold time for
>> CheckpointStartLock seems awfully high --- about 20 msec
>> per transaction.  Are you using a nonzero commit_delay?
>>
> I didn't change commit_delay which defaults to zero.

Hmmm ... AFAICS this must mean that flushing the WAL data to disk
at transaction commit time takes (most of) 20 msec on your hardware.
Which still seems high --- on most modern disks that'd be at least two
disk revolutions, maybe more.  What's the disk hardware you're testing
on, particularly its RPM spec?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>Hmmm ... AFAICS this must mean that flushing the WAL data to disk
>at transaction commit time takes (most of) 20 msec on your hardware.
>Which still seems high --- on most modern disks that'd be at least two
>disk revolutions, maybe more.  What's the disk hardware you're testing
>on, particularly its RPM spec?

I actually ran the test on my laptop. It has an Ultra ATA/100 drive
(5400 rpm). The test was just a quickie to show some data from the
probes. I'll collect and share data from the T2000 server later.

Regards,
-Robert