Обсуждение: speed of querry?

speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
I must be missing something important, because I am just not seeing why this
query is slower on a 4 processor 8 gig machine running redhat AS4.

The SQL:
explain analyze SELECT a.clientnum, a.associateid, a.associatenum,
a.lastname, a.firstname, jt.value AS jobtitle, l.name AS "location",
l.locationid AS mainlocationid, l.divisionid, l.regionid, l.districtid,
(a.lastname::text || ', '::text) || a.firstname::text AS assocname,
a.isactive, a.isdeleted
   FROM tblassociate a
   left JOIN tbljobtitle jt ON a.jobtitleid = jt.id AND jt.clientnum::text =
a.clientnum::text AND 1 = jt.presentationid
   JOIN tbllocation l ON a.locationid = l.locationid AND l.clientnum::text =
a.clientnum::text
where a.clientnum = 'SAKS';

Machine 1 my desktop:
"Merge Join  (cost=74970.51..75975.46 rows=8244 width=113) (actual
time=5141.000..6363.000 rows=160593 loops=1)"
"  Merge Cond: ("outer".locationid = "inner".locationid)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=656.22..657.11 rows=354 width=49) (actual
time=16.000..16.000 rows=441 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: l.locationid"
"        ->  Index Scan using ix_location on tbllocation l
(cost=0.00..641.23 rows=354 width=49) (actual time=0.000..0.000 rows=441
loops=1)"
"              Index Cond: ('SAKS'::text = (clientnum)::text)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=74314.29..74791.06 rows=190710 width=75) (actual
time=5125.000..5316.000 rows=160594 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: a.locationid"
"        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=0.00..52366.50 rows=190710 width=75)
(actual time=16.000..1973.000 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
("inner".clientnum)::text) AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"
"              ->  Index Scan using ix_tbljobtitle_id on tbljobtitle jt
(cost=0.00..244.75 rows=6622 width=37) (actual time=0.000..16.000 rows=5690
loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (1 = presentationid)"
"              ->  Index Scan using ix_tblassoc_jobtitleid on tblassociate a
(cost=0.00..50523.83 rows=190710 width=53) (actual time=0.000..643.000
rows=177041 loops=1)"
"                    Index Cond: ((clientnum)::text = 'SAKS'::text)"
"Total runtime: 6719.000 ms"

Test Linux machine:
"Merge Join  (cost=48126.04..49173.57 rows=15409 width=113) (actual
time=11832.165..12678.025 rows=160593 loops=1)"
"  Merge Cond: ("outer".locationid = "inner".locationid)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=807.64..808.75 rows=443 width=49) (actual
time=2.418..2.692 rows=441 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: l.locationid"
"        ->  Index Scan using ix_location on tbllocation l
(cost=0.00..788.17 rows=443 width=49) (actual time=0.036..1.677 rows=441
loops=1)"
"              Index Cond: ('SAKS'::text = (clientnum)::text)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=47318.40..47758.44 rows=176015 width=75) (actual
time=11829.660..12002.746 rows=160594 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: a.locationid"
"        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=24825.80..27512.71 rows=176015
width=75) (actual time=8743.848..9750.775 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
"inner"."?column10?") AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"
"              ->  Index Scan using ix_tbljobtitle_id on tbljobtitle jt
(cost=0.00..239.76 rows=6604 width=37) (actual time=0.016..11.323 rows=5690
loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (1 = presentationid)"
"              ->  Sort  (cost=24825.80..25265.84 rows=176015 width=53)
(actual time=8729.320..8945.292 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"                    Sort Key: (a.clientnum)::text, a.jobtitleid"
"                    ->  Index Scan using ix_associate_clientnum on
tblassociate a  (cost=0.00..9490.20 rows=176015 width=53) (actual
time=0.036..1071.867 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"                          Index Cond: ((clientnum)::text = 'SAKS'::text)"
"Total runtime: 12802.019 ms"

I tried to remove the left outer thinking it would speed it up, and it used
a seq search on tblassoc and ran 2 times slower.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin@wazagua.com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
 This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.

Re: speed of querry?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I must be missing something important, because I am just not seeing why this
> query is slower on a 4 processor 8 gig machine running redhat AS4.

Well, the 4 processors aren't going to help with a single query.
However, assuming the configurations for both machines are comparable,
you shouldn't be seeing a doubling in query-time.

I have, however, spotted something very strange towards the bottom of
each explain:

> Machine 1 my desktop:

> "        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=0.00..52366.50 rows=190710 width=75)
> (actual time=16.000..1973.000 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
> ("inner".clientnum)::text) AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"

> Test Linux machine:

> "        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=24825.80..27512.71 rows=176015
> width=75) (actual time=8743.848..9750.775 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
> "inner"."?column10?") AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"

In the first, we match outer.clientnum to inner.clientnum, in the second
it's "?column10?" - are you sure the query was identical in each case.
I'm guessing the unidentified column in query 2 is the reason for the
sort a couple of lines below it, which seems to take up a large chunk of
time.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
are you sure the query was identical in each case.

I just ran a second time same results ensuring that the query is the same.
Not sure why it is doing a column10 thing. Any ideas what to look for?
Both data bases are a restore from the same backup file.

One is running redhat the other XP, I believe both are the same version of
postgres except for the different platform (8.0.1 I am pretty sure).

I just spent the morning with Dell hoping for some explanation from them.
They said I had to have the database on the same type of OS and hardware for
them to think the issue was hardware. They are escalating to the software
group.

I did a default Redhat install so it very well may be an issue with my lack
of knowledge on Linux.

He did mention by default the Perc4 do cache, so I may need to visit the
data center to set the percs to not cache.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: speed of querry?

Дата:
> In the first, we match outer.clientnum to inner.clientnum, in the second
> it's "?column10?" - are you sure the query was identical in each case.
> I'm guessing the unidentified column in query 2 is the reason for the
> sort a couple of lines below it, which seems to take up a large chunk of
> time.

The "?column10?" is because EXPLAIN isn't excessively bright about
reporting references to outputs of lower plan nodes.  (Gotta fix that
sometime.)  The real point here is that the planner thought that a scan
plus sort would be faster than scanning an index that exactly matched
the sort order the Merge Join needed ... and it was wrong :-(

So this is just the usual sort of question of "are your stats up to
date, maybe you need to increase stats targets, or else play with
random_page_cost, etc" ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
I have done a vacuum and a vacuum analyze.
I can try again for kicks, but it is not in production so no new records are
added and vacuum analyze is ran after any mods to the indexes.

I am still pursuing Dell on why the monster box is so much slower then the
desktop as well.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin@wazagua.com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
 This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.

> In the first, we match outer.clientnum to inner.clientnum, in the second
> it's "?column10?" - are you sure the query was identical in each case.
> I'm guessing the unidentified column in query 2 is the reason for the
> sort a couple of lines below it, which seems to take up a large chunk of
> time.

The "?column10?" is because EXPLAIN isn't excessively bright about
reporting references to outputs of lower plan nodes.  (Gotta fix that
sometime.)  The real point here is that the planner thought that a scan
plus sort would be faster than scanning an index that exactly matched
the sort order the Merge Join needed ... and it was wrong :-(

So this is just the usual sort of question of "are your stats up to
date, maybe you need to increase stats targets, or else play with
random_page_cost, etc" ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On 4/14/05, Joel Fradkin <jfradkin@wazagua.com> wrote:
> I have done a vacuum and a vacuum analyze.
> I can try again for kicks, but it is not in production so no new records are
> added and vacuum analyze is ran after any mods to the indexes.
>
> I am still pursuing Dell on why the monster box is so much slower then the
> desktop as well.

First thing:  Do something like:
ALTER TABLE tbljobtitle ALTER COLUMN clientnum SET STATISTICS 50;
make it for each column used, make it even higher than 50 for
many-values columns.
THEN make VACUUM ANALYZE;

Then do a query couple of times (EXPLAIN ANALYZE also :)), then do:
SET enable_seqscan = off;
and rerun the query -- if it was significantly faster, you will want to do:
SET enable_seqscan = on;
and tweak:
SET random_page_cost = 2.1;
...and play with values.  When you reach the random_page_cost which
suits your data, you will want to put it into postgresql.conf

I am sorry if it is already known to you. :)  Also, it is a rather simplistic
approach to tuning PostgreSQL but it is worth doing.  Especially the
statistics part. :)

   Regards,
       Dawid

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
Josh from commandprompt.com had me alter the config to have
default_statistics_target = 250

Is this somehow related to what your asking me to do?
I did do an analyze, but have only ran the viw a few times.

Joel Fradkin

> I have done a vacuum and a vacuum analyze.
> I can try again for kicks, but it is not in production so no new records
are
> added and vacuum analyze is ran after any mods to the indexes.
>
> I am still pursuing Dell on why the monster box is so much slower then the
> desktop as well.

First thing:  Do something like:
ALTER TABLE tbljobtitle ALTER COLUMN clientnum SET STATISTICS 50;
make it for each column used, make it even higher than 50 for
many-values columns.
THEN make VACUUM ANALYZE;

Then do a query couple of times (EXPLAIN ANALYZE also :)), then do:
SET enable_seqscan = off;
and rerun the query -- if it was significantly faster, you will want to do:
SET enable_seqscan = on;
and tweak:
SET random_page_cost = 2.1;
...and play with values.  When you reach the random_page_cost which
suits your data, you will want to put it into postgresql.conf

I am sorry if it is already known to you. :)  Also, it is a rather
simplistic
approach to tuning PostgreSQL but it is worth doing.  Especially the
statistics part. :)

   Regards,
       Dawid

Re: speed of querry?

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On 4/14/05, Joel Fradkin <jfradkin@wazagua.com> wrote:
> Josh from commandprompt.com had me alter the config to have
> default_statistics_target = 250
>
> Is this somehow related to what your asking me to do?
> I did do an analyze, but have only ran the viw a few times.

well, he did suggest the right thing.  However this parameter
applies to newly created tables, so either recreate the tables
or do the ALTER TABLE I've sent eariler.

Basically it tells postgres how many values should it keep for
statistics per column.  The config default_statistics_target
is the default (= used when creating table) and ALTER... is
a way to change it later.

The more statistics PostgreSQL has means it can better
predict how much data will be returned -- and this directly
leads to a choice how to handle the data (order in which
tables should be read, whether to use index or not, which
algorithm use for join, etc.).  The more statistics, the better
PostgreSQL is able to predict.  The more statistics, the slower
planner is able to do the analysis.  So you have to find
a value which will be as much as is needed to accurately
predict the results but not more!  PostgreSQL's default of
10 is a bit conservative, hence the suggestions to increase
it. :)  [ and so is random_page_cost or some people have
found that in their cases it is beneficial to reduce the value,
even as much as below 2. ]

Hope this clairifies things a bit.

   Regards,
      Dawid

Re: speed of querry?

Дата:
Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:
> Basically it tells postgres how many values should it keep for
> statistics per column.  The config default_statistics_target
> is the default (= used when creating table) and ALTER... is
> a way to change it later.

Not quite.  default_statistics_target is the value used by ANALYZE for
any column that hasn't had an explicit ALTER SET STATISTICS done on it.
So you can change default_statistics_target and that will affect
existing tables.

(It used to work the way you are saying, but that was a few releases
back...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
I did as described to alter table and did not see any difference in speed.
I am trying to undo the symbolic link to the data array and set it up on
raid 5 disks in the machine just to test if there is an issue with the
config of the raid 10 array or a problem with the controller.

I am kinda lame at Linux so not sure I have got it yet still testing.
Still kind puzzled why it chose tow different option, but one is running
windows version of postgres, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The data bases and configs (as far as page cost) are the same.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin@wazagua.com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
 This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.

> Basically it tells postgres how many values should it keep for
> statistics per column.  The config default_statistics_target
> is the default (= used when creating table) and ALTER... is
> a way to change it later.

Not quite.  default_statistics_target is the value used by ANALYZE for
any column that hasn't had an explicit ALTER SET STATISTICS done on it.
So you can change default_statistics_target and that will affect
existing tables.

(It used to work the way you are saying, but that was a few releases
back...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
Well so far I have 1.5 hours with commandpromt.com and 8 + hours with Dell
and have not seen any changes in the speed of my query.

I did move the data base to the raid 5 drives and did see a 1 second
improvement from 13 secs to 12 secs (keep in mind it runs in 6 on the
optiplex).

The dell guy ran Bonie and found 40meg per sec read/write speed for the
arrays.

He also installed version 8.0.2 (went fine on AS4 he had to uninstall 8.0.1
first).

He is going to get a 6650 in his test lab to see what he can fugure out.
I will say both commandprompt.com and Dell have been very professional and I
am impressed at the level of support available for Redhat from Dell and
postgres. As always I still feel this list has been my most useful asset,
but I am glad there are folks to call on. I am trying to go live soon and
need to get this resolved.

I told the guy from Dell it makes no sense that a windows 2.4 single proc
with 750 meg of ram can go faster then a 4 proc (3.ghz) 8 gig machine.
Both databases were restored from the same file. Same view etc.

Config files are set the same except for amount of cached ram, although
Commandprompt.com had me adjust a few items that should help going into
production, put planning stuff is basicly the same.

This view returns in 3 secs on MSSQL server on the optiplex (750 meg 2.4
box); and 6 secs using postgres on windows and 12-13 secs on the 4 processor
box. Needless to say I am very frustrated. Maybe Dell will turn up something
testing in their lab. It took a bit of perseverance to get to the right guy
at Dell (the first guy actually told me to load it all on a like machine and
if it was very much slower on my original they would pursue it otherwise it
was not an issue. I was like the machine cost 30K you going to send me one
to test that. But seriously I am open to trying anything (loading AS3, using
postgres 7.4)? The fellow at Dell does not think it is a hardware problem,
so if it is Linux (could very well be, but he seemed very sharp and did not
come up with anything yet) or postgres config (again Josh at
commandprompt.com was very sharp) then what do I do now to isolate the
issue? At least they are loading one in the lab (in theory, I cant send them
my database, so who knows what they will test). Dell changed the file system
to ext2 is that going to bite me in the butt? It did not seem to change the
speed of my explain analyze.

Joel Fradkin

Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:
> Basically it tells postgres how many values should it keep for
> statistics per column.  The config default_statistics_target
> is the default (= used when creating table) and ALTER... is
> a way to change it later.

Not quite.  default_statistics_target is the value used by ANALYZE for
any column that hasn't had an explicit ALTER SET STATISTICS done on it.
So you can change default_statistics_target and that will affect
existing tables.

(It used to work the way you are saying, but that was a few releases
back...)

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Dave Held"
> I did as described to alter table and did not see any
> difference in speed. I am trying to undo the symbolic
> link to the data array and set it up on raid 5 disks in
> the machine just to test if there is an issue with the
> config of the raid 10 array or a problem with the controller.
>
> I am kinda lame at Linux so not sure I have got it yet still
> testing. Still kind puzzled why it chose tow different option,
> but one is running windows version of postgres, so maybe that
> has something to do with it.

That sounds like a plausible explanation.  However, it could
simply be that the statistics gathered on each box are
sufficiently different to cause different plans.

> The data bases and configs (as far as page cost) are the same.

Did you do as Dawid suggested?

> [...]
> Then do a query couple of times (EXPLAIN ANALYZE also :)), then
> do:
> SET enable_seqscan = off;
> and rerun the query -- if it was significantly faster, you will
> want to do:
> SET enable_seqscan = on;
> and tweak:
> SET random_page_cost = 2.1;
> ...and play with values.  When you reach the random_page_cost
> which suits your data, you will want to put it into
> postgresql.conf
> [...]

This is above and beyond toying with the column statistics.  You
are basically telling the planner to use an index.  Try this,
and post the EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the seqscan = off case on the
slow box if it doesn't speed things up for you.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377
320.534.3637 320.253.7800 800.752.8129

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
It is still slower on the Linux box. (included is explain with SET
enable_seqscan = off;
explain analyze select * from viwassoclist where clientnum ='SAKS') See
below.

I did a few other tests (changing drive arrays helped by 1 second was slower
on my raid 10 on the powervault).

Pulling just raw data is much faster on the Linux box.
"Seq Scan on tblresponse_line  (cost=100000000.00..100089717.78 rows=4032078
width=67) (actual time=0.028..4600.431 rows=4032078 loops=1)"
"Total runtime: 6809.399 ms"
Windows box
"Seq Scan on tblresponse_line  (cost=0.00..93203.68 rows=4031968 width=67)
(actual time=16.000..11316.000 rows=4031968 loops=1)"
"Total runtime: 16672.000 ms"

I am going to reload the data bases, just to see what I get.
I am thinking I may have to flatten the files for postgres (eliminate joins
of any kind for reporting etc). Might make a good deal more data, but I
think from the app's point of view it is a good idea anyway, just not sure
how to handle editing.

Joel Fradkin

"Merge Join  (cost=49697.60..50744.71 rows=14987 width=113) (actual
time=11301.160..12171.072 rows=160593 loops=1)"
"  Merge Cond: ("outer".locationid = "inner".locationid)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=788.81..789.89 rows=432 width=49) (actual
time=3.318..3.603 rows=441 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: l.locationid"
"        ->  Index Scan using ix_location on tbllocation l
(cost=0.00..769.90 rows=432 width=49) (actual time=0.145..2.283 rows=441
loops=1)"
"              Index Cond: ('SAKS'::text = (clientnum)::text)"
"  ->  Sort  (cost=48908.79..49352.17 rows=177352 width=75) (actual
time=11297.774..11463.780 rows=160594 loops=1)"
"        Sort Key: a.locationid"
"        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=26247.95..28942.93 rows=177352
width=75) (actual time=8357.010..9335.362 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
"inner"."?column10?") AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"
"              ->  Index Scan using ix_tbljobtitle_id on tbljobtitle jt
(cost=0.00..243.76 rows=6604 width=37) (actual time=0.122..12.049 rows=5690
loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (1 = presentationid)"
"              ->  Sort  (cost=26247.95..26691.33 rows=177352 width=53)
(actual time=8342.271..8554.943 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"                    Sort Key: (a.clientnum)::text, a.jobtitleid"
"                    ->  Index Scan using ix_associate_clientnum on
tblassociate a  (cost=0.00..10786.17 rows=177352 width=53) (actual
time=0.166..1126.052 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"                          Index Cond: ((clientnum)::text = 'SAKS'::text)"
"Total runtime: 12287.502 ms"

This is above and beyond toying with the column statistics.  You
are basically telling the planner to use an index.  Try this,
and post the EXPLAIN ANALYZE for the seqscan = off case on the
slow box if it doesn't speed things up for you.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377
320.534.3637 320.253.7800 800.752.8129

Re: speed of querry?

Дата:
"Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin@wazagua.com> writes:
> "Merge Join  (cost=49697.60..50744.71 rows=14987 width=113) (actual
> time=11301.160..12171.072 rows=160593 loops=1)"
> "  Merge Cond: ("outer".locationid = "inner".locationid)"
> "  ->  Sort  (cost=788.81..789.89 rows=432 width=49) (actual
> time=3.318..3.603 rows=441 loops=1)"
> "        Sort Key: l.locationid"
> "        ->  Index Scan using ix_location on tbllocation l
> (cost=0.00..769.90 rows=432 width=49) (actual time=0.145..2.283 rows=441
> loops=1)"
> "              Index Cond: ('SAKS'::text = (clientnum)::text)"
> "  ->  Sort  (cost=48908.79..49352.17 rows=177352 width=75) (actual
> time=11297.774..11463.780 rows=160594 loops=1)"
> "        Sort Key: a.locationid"
> "        ->  Merge Right Join  (cost=26247.95..28942.93 rows=177352
> width=75) (actual time=8357.010..9335.362 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "              Merge Cond: ((("outer".clientnum)::text =
> "inner"."?column10?") AND ("outer".id = "inner".jobtitleid))"
> "              ->  Index Scan using ix_tbljobtitle_id on tbljobtitle jt
> (cost=0.00..243.76 rows=6604 width=37) (actual time=0.122..12.049 rows=5690
> loops=1)"
> "                    Filter: (1 = presentationid)"
> "              ->  Sort  (cost=26247.95..26691.33 rows=177352 width=53)
> (actual time=8342.271..8554.943 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "                    Sort Key: (a.clientnum)::text, a.jobtitleid"
> "                    ->  Index Scan using ix_associate_clientnum on
> tblassociate a  (cost=0.00..10786.17 rows=177352 width=53) (actual
> time=0.166..1126.052 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "                          Index Cond: ((clientnum)::text = 'SAKS'::text)"
> "Total runtime: 12287.502 ms"

It strikes me as odd that the thing isn't considering hash joins for
at least some of these steps.  Can you force it to (by setting
enable_mergejoin off)?  If not, what are the datatypes of the join
columns exactly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"

Joel Fradkin

Turning off merg joins seems to of done it but what do I need to do so I am
not telling the system explicitly not to use them, I must be missing some
setting?

On linux box.

explain analyze select * from viwassoclist where clientnum ='SAKS'

"Hash Join  (cost=988.25..292835.36 rows=15773 width=113) (actual
time=23.514..3024.064 rows=160593 loops=1)"
"  Hash Cond: ("outer".locationid = "inner".locationid)"
"  ->  Hash Left Join  (cost=185.57..226218.77 rows=177236 width=75) (actual
time=21.147..2221.098 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"        Hash Cond: (("outer".jobtitleid = "inner".id) AND
(("outer".clientnum)::text = ("inner".clientnum)::text))"
"        ->  Seq Scan on tblassociate a  (cost=0.00..30851.25 rows=177236
width=53) (actual time=0.390..1095.385 rows=177041 loops=1)"
"              Filter: ((clientnum)::text = 'SAKS'::text)"
"        ->  Hash  (cost=152.55..152.55 rows=6604 width=37) (actual
time=20.609..20.609 rows=0 loops=1)"
"              ->  Seq Scan on tbljobtitle jt  (cost=0.00..152.55 rows=6604
width=37) (actual time=0.033..12.319 rows=6603 loops=1)"
"                    Filter: (1 = presentationid)"
"  ->  Hash  (cost=801.54..801.54 rows=454 width=49) (actual
time=2.196..2.196 rows=0 loops=1)"
"        ->  Index Scan using ix_location on tbllocation l
(cost=0.00..801.54 rows=454 width=49) (actual time=0.111..1.755 rows=441
loops=1)"
"              Index Cond: ('SAKS'::text = (clientnum)::text)"
"Total runtime: 3120.366 ms"

here are the table defs and view if that helps. I posted the config a while
back, but can do it again if you need to see it.

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW viwassoclist AS
 SELECT a.clientnum, a.associateid, a.associatenum, a.lastname, a.firstname,
jt.value AS jobtitle, l.name AS "location", l.locationid AS mainlocationid,
l.divisionid, l.regionid, l.districtid, (a.lastname::text || ', '::text) ||
a.firstname::text AS assocname, a.isactive, a.isdeleted
   FROM tblassociate a
   LEFT JOIN tbljobtitle jt ON a.jobtitleid = jt.id AND jt.clientnum::text =
a.clientnum::text AND 1 = jt.presentationid
   JOIN tbllocation l ON a.locationid = l.locationid AND l.clientnum::text =
a.clientnum::text;

CREATE TABLE tblassociate
(
  clientnum varchar(16) NOT NULL,
  associateid int4 NOT NULL,
  associatenum varchar(10),
  firstname varchar(50),
  middleinit varchar(5),
  lastname varchar(50),
  ssn varchar(18),
  dob timestamp,
  address varchar(100),
  city varchar(50),
  state varchar(50),
  country varchar(50),
  zip varchar(10),
  homephone varchar(14),
  cellphone varchar(14),
  pager varchar(14),
  associateaccount varchar(50),
  doh timestamp,
  dot timestamp,
  rehiredate timestamp,
  lastdayworked timestamp,
  staffexecid int4,
  jobtitleid int4,
  locationid int4,
  deptid int4,
  positionnum int4,
  worktypeid int4,
  sexid int4,
  maritalstatusid int4,
  ethnicityid int4,
  weight float8,
  heightfeet int4,
  heightinches int4,
  haircolorid int4,
  eyecolorid int4,
  isonalarmlist bool NOT NULL DEFAULT false,
  isactive bool NOT NULL DEFAULT true,
  ismanager bool NOT NULL DEFAULT false,
  issecurity bool NOT NULL DEFAULT false,
  createdbyid int4,
  isdeleted bool NOT NULL DEFAULT false,
  militarybranchid int4,
  militarystatusid int4,
  patrontypeid int4,
  identificationtypeid int4,
  workaddress varchar(200),
  testtypeid int4,
  testscore int4,
  pin int4,
  county varchar(50),
  CONSTRAINT pk_tblassociate PRIMARY KEY (clientnum, associateid),
  CONSTRAINT ix_tblassociate UNIQUE (clientnum, associatenum)
)
CREATE TABLE tbljobtitle
(
  clientnum varchar(16) NOT NULL,
  id int4 NOT NULL,
  value varchar(50),
  code varchar(16),
  isdeleted bool DEFAULT false,
  presentationid int4 NOT NULL DEFAULT 1,
  CONSTRAINT pk_tbljobtitle PRIMARY KEY (clientnum, id, presentationid)
)
CREATE TABLE tbllocation
(
  clientnum varchar(16) NOT NULL,
  locationid int4 NOT NULL,
  districtid int4 NOT NULL,
  regionid int4 NOT NULL,
  divisionid int4 NOT NULL,
  locationnum varchar(8),
  name varchar(50),
  clientlocnum varchar(50),
  address varchar(100),
  address2 varchar(100),
  city varchar(50),
  state varchar(2) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'zz'::character varying,
  zip varchar(10),
  countryid int4,
  phone varchar(15),
  fax varchar(15),
  payname varchar(40),
  contact char(36),
  active bool NOT NULL DEFAULT true,
  coiprogram text,
  coilimit text,
  coiuser varchar(255),
  coidatetime varchar(32),
  ec_note_field varchar(1050),
  locationtypeid int4,
  open_time timestamp,
  close_time timestamp,
  insurance_loc_id varchar(50),
  lpregionid int4,
  sic int4,
  CONSTRAINT pk_tbllocation PRIMARY KEY (clientnum, locationid),
  CONSTRAINT ix_tbllocation_1 UNIQUE (clientnum, locationnum, name),
  CONSTRAINT ix_tbllocation_unique_number UNIQUE (clientnum, divisionid,
regionid, districtid, locationnum)
)

It strikes me as odd that the thing isn't considering hash joins for
at least some of these steps.  Can you force it to (by setting
enable_mergejoin off)?  If not, what are the datatypes of the join
columns exactly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

Дата:
"Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin@wazagua.com> writes:
> Turning off merg joins seems to of done it but what do I need to do so I am
> not telling the system explicitly not to use them, I must be missing some
> setting?

> "  ->  Hash Left Join  (cost=185.57..226218.77 rows=177236 width=75) (actual
> time=21.147..2221.098 rows=177041 loops=1)"
> "        Hash Cond: (("outer".jobtitleid = "inner".id) AND
> (("outer".clientnum)::text = ("inner".clientnum)::text))"

It's overestimating the cost of this join for some reason ... and I
think I see why.  It's not accounting for the combined effect of the
two hash clauses, only for the "better" one.  What are the statistics
for tbljobtitle.id and tbljobtitle.clientnum --- how many distinct
values of each, and are the distributions skewed to a few popular values?

            regards, tom lane

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Dave Page"

pgAdmin III uses libpq, not the ODBC driver.

Regards, Dave

Re: speed of querry?

От
"Joel Fradkin"
Дата:
pgAdmin III uses libpq, not the ODBC driver.

Sorry I am not too aware of all the semantics.
I guess the question is if it is normal to take 2 mins to get 160K of
records, or is there something else I can do (I plan on limiting the query
screens using limit and offset; I realize this will only be effective for
the early part of the returned record set, but I believe they don't page
through a bunch of records, they probably add search criteria). But for
reporting I will need to return all the records and this seems slow to me
(but it might be in line with what I get now; I will have to do some
benchmarking).

The application is a mixture of .net and asp and will soon have java.
So I am using the .net library for the .net pages and the ODBC driver for
the asp pages.

I did find using a view for the location join sped up the query a great
deal, I will have to see if there are other places I can use that thinking
(instead of joining on the associate table and its dependants I can just
join on a view of that data, etc).

Basically I have a view that does a join from location to district, region
and division tables. The old viwassoclist had those joined to the assoc
table in the viwassoclist, I changed it to use the view I created where the
tables were joined to the location table and in assoclist I just join to the
location view. This really made a huge difference in speed.

Regards, Dave