Обсуждение: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
amrit@health2.moph.go.th
Дата:
I newly installed the postgresql 7.4.5 and FC 3 in my server and transfer the
data from 7.3.2 with just a few problems. After I use the webmin 1.8 to config
the grant previllage to the users ,I found that there is an error in the grant
previlege .
postgresql --> Grant Previlege --> error

select relname, relacl from pg_class where (relkind = 'r' OR relkind = 'S') and
relname !~ '^pg_' order by relname : Unknown DBI error

What is the cause of this error and how could I handle this order?
Please make any comment, Thanks.
Amrit , Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:
> I newly installed the postgresql 7.4.5 and FC 3 in my server and transfer the
> data from 7.3.2 with just a few problems. After I use the webmin 1.8 to config
> the grant previllage to the users ,I found that there is an error in the grant
> previlege .
> postgresql --> Grant Previlege --> error
>
> select relname, relacl from pg_class where (relkind = 'r' OR relkind = 'S') and
> relname !~ '^pg_' order by relname : Unknown DBI error
>
> What is the cause of this error and how could I handle this order?
> Please make any comment, Thanks.

I would suspect a DBI/DBD installation issue, either perl DBI cannot
find DBD-Pg (not installed ?) or DBD-Pg cannot find your Pg 7.4.5.

I note that FC3 comes with Pg 7.4.6 - did you installed 7.4.5 from
source? If so this could be why the perl database modules cannot find it
(you may need to rebuild DBD-Pg, telling it where your Pg install is).

regards

Mark

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
amrit@health2.moph.go.th
Дата:
> I would suspect a DBI/DBD installation issue, either perl DBI cannot
> find DBD-Pg (not installed ?) or DBD-Pg cannot find your Pg 7.4.5.
>
> I note that FC3 comes with Pg 7.4.6 - did you installed 7.4.5 from
> source? If so this could be why the perl database modules cannot find it
> (you may need to rebuild DBD-Pg, telling it where your Pg install is).
>
> regards
>
> Mark

I installed FC3 from rpm kernel 2.6.9 which already included postgresql 7.4.5 .
Suppose that there were some missing component , what should be the missing rpm
component which I forgot to install ?
Amrit , Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:
>>I would suspect a DBI/DBD installation issue, either perl DBI cannot
>>find DBD-Pg (not installed ?) or DBD-Pg cannot find your Pg 7.4.5.
>>
>>I note that FC3 comes with Pg 7.4.6 - did you installed 7.4.5 from
>>source? If so this could be why the perl database modules cannot find it
>>(you may need to rebuild DBD-Pg, telling it where your Pg install is).
>
> I installed FC3 from rpm kernel 2.6.9 which already included postgresql 7.4.5 .
> Suppose that there were some missing component , what should be the missing rpm
> component which I forgot to install ?

Ok - I must be looking at the *updated* FC3 distribution...

I may have 'jumped the gun' a little - the situation I describe above
will prevent *any* access at all to Pg from webmin. If this is the case
then check you have (perl) DBI and (perl) DBD-Pg components installed.

If on the other hand you can do *some* Pg admin from webmin, and you are
only having problems with the grants then there is something it does not
like about the *particular* statement. The way to debug this is to do a
tiny perl DBI program that tries to execute the statement :

select relname, relacl from pg_class where (relkind = 'r' OR relkind =
'S') and relname !~ '^pg_' order by relname

So - sorry to confuse, but let us know which situation you have there :-)

best wishes

Mark

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> If on the other hand you can do *some* Pg admin from webmin, and you are
> only having problems with the grants then there is something it does not
> like about the *particular* statement. The way to debug this is to do a
> tiny perl DBI program that tries to execute the statement :
>
> select relname, relacl from pg_class where (relkind = 'r' OR relkind =
> 'S') and relname !~ '^pg_' order by relname

I did a quick check of this case... seems to be no problem running this
statement using perl 5.8.5, DBI-1.42 and DBD-Pg-1.22. You might like to
try out the attached test program that does this (You may have to add a
password in order to connect, depending on your security settings).

Mark

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
# relacl.pl : testbed for
#

use DBI;
use strict;

    my $db        = "dbname=template1;port=5432";
    my $user    = "postgres";
    my $pwd        = "";
    my $dsn        = "DBI:Pg:$db";
    my $con;
    my $sql        = "select relname, relacl from pg_class where " .
                  "(relkind = 'r' OR relkind = 'S') and relname !~ '^pg_' " .
                  "order by relname";
    my $sth;
    my @row;

    $con =    DBI->connect($dsn,$user,$pwd)
            or die "Error in connect to $dsn: $!\n";

    $sth =    $con->prepare($sql)
            or die "Error in prepare : $!";

    $sth->execute()
            or die "Error in execute : $!";

    print "Relname\t\tRelacl\n";
    while ( @row = $sth->fetchrow_array() ) {
        print $row[0] . "\t" . $row[1] . "\n";
    }

    $sth->finish();

    $con->disconnect();

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
amrit@health2.moph.go.th
Дата:
> Ok - I must be looking at the *updated* FC3 distribution...
>
> I may have 'jumped the gun' a little - the situation I describe above
> will prevent *any* access at all to Pg from webmin. If this is the case
> then check you have (perl) DBI and (perl) DBD-Pg components installed.
>
> If on the other hand you can do *some* Pg admin from webmin, and you are
> only having problems with the grants then there is something it does not
> like about the *particular* statement. The way to debug this is to do a
> tiny perl DBI program that tries to execute the statement :
>
> select relname, relacl from pg_class where (relkind = 'r' OR relkind =
> 'S') and relname !~ '^pg_' order by relname
>
> So - sorry to confuse, but let us know which situation you have there :-)
>
> best wishes
>
> Mark

I used you perl script and found the error =>
[root@samba tmp]# perl relacl.pl
DBI connect('dbname=template1;port=5432','postgres',...) failed: FATAL:  IDENT
authentication failed for user "postgres" at relacl.pl line 21
Error in connect to DBI:Pg:dbname=template1;port=5432:

And my pg_hba.conf is

# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
host    all             all     192.168.0.0     255.255.0.0         trust

trusted for every user.

Would you give me an idea what's wrong?
Thanks .
Amrit,Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

> I used you perl script and found the error =>
> [root@samba tmp]# perl relacl.pl
> DBI connect('dbname=template1;port=5432','postgres',...) failed: FATAL:  IDENT
> authentication failed for user "postgres" at relacl.pl line 21
> Error in connect to DBI:Pg:dbname=template1;port=5432:

Excellent - we know what is going on now!

> And my pg_hba.conf is
>
> # IPv4-style local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
> host    all             all     192.168.0.0     255.255.0.0         trust
>
> trusted for every user.

Ok, what I think has happened is that there is another Pg installation
(or another initdb'ed cluster) on this machine that you are accidentally
talking to. Try

$ rpm -qa|grep -i postgres

which will spot another software installation, you may just have to
search for files called pg_hba.conf to find another initdb'ed cluster....

This other installation should have a pg_hba.conf that looks something
like :

local   all     all                                ident
host    all     all   127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255   ident

So a bit of detective work is in order :-)

Mark

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
amrit@health2.moph.go.th
Дата:
> > I used you perl script and found the error =>
> > [root@samba tmp]# perl relacl.pl
> > DBI connect('dbname=template1;port=5432','postgres',...) failed: FATAL:
> IDENT
> > authentication failed for user "postgres" at relacl.pl line 21
> > Error in connect to DBI:Pg:dbname=template1;port=5432:
> >

> Excellent - we know what is going on now!
>

> > And my pg_hba.conf is
> >
> > # IPv4-style local connections:
> > host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
> > host    all             all     192.168.0.0     255.255.0.0         trust
> >
> > trusted for every user.
>
> Ok, what I think has happened is that there is another Pg installation
> (or another initdb'ed cluster) on this machine that you are accidentally
> talking to. Try
>
> $ rpm -qa|grep -i postgres
>
> which will spot another software installation, you may just have to
> search for files called pg_hba.conf to find another initdb'ed cluster....
>
> This other installation should have a pg_hba.conf that looks something
> like :
>
> local   all     all                                ident
> host    all     all   127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255   ident
>
> So a bit of detective work is in order :-)
>
> Mark
After being a detector I found that
[root@samba ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i postgres
postgresql-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-python-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-jdbc-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-tcl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-server-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-libs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-docs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.1.tlc
postgresql-pl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-test-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
postgresql-contrib-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
[root@samba ~]#

no other pg installation except the pgsql for windows in samba folder which I
think it isn't matter ,is it?
No other  pg being run.
[root@samba ~]# ps ax|grep postmaster
 2228 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
 3308 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep postmaster
[root@samba ~]#

Is it possible that it is related to pg_ident.conf ?

Any comment please.
Amrit,Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

> After being a detector I found that
> [root@samba ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i postgres
> postgresql-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-python-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-jdbc-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-tcl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-server-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-libs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-docs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.1.tlc
> postgresql-pl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-test-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-contrib-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> [root@samba ~]#
>
> no other pg installation except the pgsql for windows in samba folder which I
> think it isn't matter ,is it?
> No other  pg being run.
> [root@samba ~]# ps ax|grep postmaster
>  2228 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>  3308 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep postmaster
> [root@samba ~]#

Well, sure looks like you only have one running. Your data directory is
/var/lib/pgsql/data so lets see the files:

/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_ident.conf
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts

Might also be useful to know any nondefault settings in postgresql.conf too.

As I understand it, these vendor shipped rpms have ident *enabled*.
I will download FC3 Pg and check this out... I'm a compile it from
source guy :-)

Mark

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
amrit@health2.moph.go.th
Дата:
> Well, sure looks like you only have one running. Your data directory is
> /var/lib/pgsql/data so lets see the files:
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_ident.conf
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts
>
> Might also be useful to know any nondefault settings in postgresql.conf too.
>
> As I understand it, these vendor shipped rpms have ident *enabled*.
> I will download FC3 Pg and check this out... I'm a compile it from
> source guy :-)
>
> Mark

I got the answer that is in module config of postgresl-webmin , there is a check
box for

Use DBI to connect if available?            yes   no            the default is
yes , but if I choosed no everything went fine.

I also test it in the desktop mechine and get the same error and the same
solution. Could you explain what happen to the FC3 + postgresql and webmin 1.8?
Thanks
Amrit ,Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
G u i d o B a r o s i o
Дата:
Sorry, just a fool tip, cause I haven't seen that you already done the pg_ctl stop && pg_ctl start ...

(I mean, did you reload your conf settings?)

Regards,
Guido

> > > I used you perl script and found the error =>
> > > [root@samba tmp]# perl relacl.pl
> > > DBI connect('dbname=template1;port=5432','postgres',...) failed: FATAL:
> > IDENT
> > > authentication failed for user "postgres" at relacl.pl line 21
> > > Error in connect to DBI:Pg:dbname=template1;port=5432:
> > >

> > Excellent - we know what is going on now!
> >

> > > And my pg_hba.conf is
> > >
> > > # IPv4-style local connections:
> > > host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
> > > host    all             all     192.168.0.0     255.255.0.0         trust
> > >
> > > trusted for every user.
> >
> > Ok, what I think has happened is that there is another Pg installation
> > (or another initdb'ed cluster) on this machine that you are accidentally
> > talking to. Try
> >
> > $ rpm -qa|grep -i postgres
> >
> > which will spot another software installation, you may just have to
> > search for files called pg_hba.conf to find another initdb'ed cluster....
> >
> > This other installation should have a pg_hba.conf that looks something
> > like :
> >
> > local   all     all                                ident
> > host    all     all   127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255   ident
> >
> > So a bit of detective work is in order :-)
> >
> > Mark
> After being a detector I found that
> [root@samba ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i postgres
> postgresql-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-python-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-jdbc-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-tcl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-server-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-libs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-docs-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-odbc-7.3-8.1.tlc
> postgresql-pl-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-test-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> postgresql-contrib-7.4.5-3.1.tlc
> [root@samba ~]#
>
> no other pg installation except the pgsql for windows in samba folder which I
> think it isn't matter ,is it?
> No other  pg being run.
> [root@samba ~]# ps ax|grep postmaster
>  2228 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>  3308 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep postmaster
> [root@samba ~]#
>
> Is it possible that it is related to pg_ident.conf ?
>
> Any comment please.
> Amrit,Thailand

Re: Problem with 7.4.5 and webmin 1.8 in grant function

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

> I got the answer that is in module config of postgresl-webmin , there is a check
> box for
>
> Use DBI to connect if available?            yes   no            the default is
> yes , but if I choosed no everything went fine.
>
> I also test it in the desktop mechine and get the same error and the same
> solution. Could you explain what happen to the FC3 + postgresql and webmin 1.8?

Well, given the error was coming from the postmaster, I don't believe
that DBI or webmin have anything to do with it. What I can believe is
that DBI=yes and DBI=no are using different parameters for connecting,
therefore hitting different parts of your old (see below) pg_hba.conf
settings.

I concur with the other poster, and suspect that the files *were* using
some form of ident identification, but have been subsequently edited to
use trust - but the postmaster has not been restarted to know this! Try

$ pg_ctl reload

to get running with 'trust'.