Обсуждение: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
I have a server on a standard pc right now.
PIII 700, 1Gig ram (SD), 40 Gig IDE, RedHat 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.1

The database has 3 tables that just broke 10 million tuples (yeah, i think
im entering in to the world of real databases ;-)
Its primarly bulk (copy) inserts and queries, rarely an update.

I am looking at moving this to a P4 2.4G, 2 Gig Ram(DDR), RedHat 8,
PostgreSQL 7.3.latest

My primary reason for posting this is to help filter through the noise, and
get me pointed in the right direction.

I realize that Im a raid on linux newbie so any suggestions are appreciated.
Im thinking I want to put this on an IDE Raid array, probably 0+1. IDE seems
to be cheap and effective these days.
What ive been able to glean from other postings is that I should have 3
drives, 2 for the database w/ striping and another for the WAL.
Am I way off base here?
I would also appreciate raid hardware suggestions (brands, etc)
And as always im not afraid to RTFM if someone can point me to the FM :-)

Cost seems to be quite a high priority, I'm getting pretty good at making
something out of nothing for everyone :)

TIA for any suggestions.
Chad

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Chad,

> I realize that Im a raid on linux newbie so any suggestions are appreciated.
> Im thinking I want to put this on an IDE Raid array, probably 0+1. IDE seems
> to be cheap and effective these days.
> What ive been able to glean from other postings is that I should have 3
> drives, 2 for the database w/ striping and another for the WAL.

Well, RAID 0+1 is only relevant if you have more than 2 drives.  Otherwise,
it's just RAID 1 (which is a good choice for PostgreSQL).

More disks is almost always better.  Putting WAL on a seperate (non-RAID) disk
is usually a very good idea.

> I would also appreciate raid hardware suggestions (brands, etc)
> And as always im not afraid to RTFM if someone can point me to the FM :-)

Use Linux Software RAID.    To get hardware RAID better than Linux Software
RAID, you have to spend $800 or more.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 2 May 2003, Chad Thompson wrote:

> I have a server on a standard pc right now.
> PIII 700, 1Gig ram (SD), 40 Gig IDE, RedHat 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.1
>
> The database has 3 tables that just broke 10 million tuples (yeah, i think
> im entering in to the world of real databases ;-)
> Its primarly bulk (copy) inserts and queries, rarely an update.
>
> I am looking at moving this to a P4 2.4G, 2 Gig Ram(DDR), RedHat 8,
> PostgreSQL 7.3.latest
>
> My primary reason for posting this is to help filter through the noise, and
> get me pointed in the right direction.
>
> I realize that Im a raid on linux newbie so any suggestions are appreciated.
> Im thinking I want to put this on an IDE Raid array, probably 0+1. IDE seems
> to be cheap and effective these days.
> What ive been able to glean from other postings is that I should have 3
> drives, 2 for the database w/ striping and another for the WAL.
> Am I way off base here?
> I would also appreciate raid hardware suggestions (brands, etc)
> And as always im not afraid to RTFM if someone can point me to the FM :-)
>
> Cost seems to be quite a high priority, I'm getting pretty good at making
> something out of nothing for everyone :)

My experience has been that with IDEs, RAID-5 is pretty good (85% the
performance of RAID-1 in real use) X+0 in linux kernel (2.4.7 is what I
tested, no idea on the newer kernel versions) is no faster than X where X
is 1 or 5.  I think there are parallel issues with stacking with linux
software kernel arrays.  That said, their performance in stock RAID1 and
RAID5 configurations is quite good.

If your writes happen during off hours, or only account for a small
portion of your IO then a seperate drive is not gonna win you much, it's a
heavily written environment that will gain from that.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
Can WAL and the swap partition be on the same drive?

Thanks
Chad
> I realize that Im a raid on linux newbie so any suggestions are
appreciated.
> Im thinking I want to put this on an IDE Raid array, probably 0+1. IDE
seems
> to be cheap and effective these days.
> What ive been able to glean from other postings is that I should have 3
> drives, 2 for the database w/ striping and another for the WAL.

Well, RAID 0+1 is only relevant if you have more than 2 drives.  Otherwise,
it's just RAID 1 (which is a good choice for PostgreSQL).

More disks is almost always better.  Putting WAL on a seperate (non-RAID)
disk
is usually a very good idea.

> I would also appreciate raid hardware suggestions (brands, etc)
> And as always im not afraid to RTFM if someone can point me to the FM :-)

Use Linux Software RAID.    To get hardware RAID better than Linux Software
RAID, you have to spend $800 or more.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Seeing as you'll have 2 gigs of RAM, your swap partition is likely to grow
cob webs, so where you put it probably isn't that critical.

What I usually do is say take 4 120 Gig drives, allocate 1 gig on each for
swap, so you have 4 gigs swap (your swap should be larger than available
memory in Linux for performance reasons) and the rest of the drives split
so that say, the first 5 or so gigs of each is used to house most of the
OS, and the rest for another RAID array hosting the database.  Since the
root partition can't be on RAID5, you'd have to set up either a single
drive or a mirror set to handle that.

With that setup, you'd have 15 Gigs for the OS, 4 gigs for swap, and about
300 gigs for the database.  The nice thing about RAID 5 is that random
read performance for parallel load gets better as you add drives.  Write
performance gets a little better with more drives since it's likely that
the drives you're writing to aren't the same ones being read.

Since your swap os likely to never see much use, except for offline
storage of long running processes that haven't been accessed recently,
it's probably fine to put them on the same drive, but honestly, I've not
found a great increase from drive configuration under IDE.  With SCSI,
rearranging can make a bigger difference, maybe it's the better buss
design, i don't know for sure.  Test them if you have the time now, you
won't get to take apart a working machine after it's up to test it. :)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Chad Thompson wrote:

> Can WAL and the swap partition be on the same drive?
>
> Thanks
> Chad

Дата:
Scott,

> With that setup, you'd have 15 Gigs for the OS, 4 gigs for swap, and about
> 300 gigs for the database.  The nice thing about RAID 5 is that random
> read performance for parallel load gets better as you add drives.  Write
> performance gets a little better with more drives since it's likely that
> the drives you're writing to aren't the same ones being read.

Yeah, but I've found with relatively few drives (such as the minimum of 3)
that RAID 5 performance is considerably worse for writes than RAID 1 -- as
bad as 30-40% of the speed of a raw SCSI disk.   This problem goes away with
more disks, of course.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 2 May 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Scott,
>
> > With that setup, you'd have 15 Gigs for the OS, 4 gigs for swap, and about
> > 300 gigs for the database.  The nice thing about RAID 5 is that random
> > read performance for parallel load gets better as you add drives.  Write
> > performance gets a little better with more drives since it's likely that
> > the drives you're writing to aren't the same ones being read.
>
> Yeah, but I've found with relatively few drives (such as the minimum of 3)
> that RAID 5 performance is considerably worse for writes than RAID 1 -- as
> bad as 30-40% of the speed of a raw SCSI disk.   This problem goes away with
> more disks, of course.

Yeah, My RAID test box is an old dual PPro 200 with 6 to 8 2 gig drives in
it and on two seperate scsi channels. It's truly amazing how much better
RAID5 is when you get that many drives together.  OF course, RAID 0 on
that setup really flies. :-0

I'd have to say if you're only gonna need 50 or so gigs max, then a RAID1
is much easier to configure, and with a hot spare is very reliable.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Friday 02 May 2003 16:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> More disks is almost always better.  Putting WAL on a seperate (non-RAID)
> disk is usually a very good idea.

From a performance POV perhaps.  The subject came up on hackers recently and
it was pointed out that if you use RAID for reliability and redundancy rather
than for performance, you need to keep the WAL files on the RAID too.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Saturday 03 May 2003 02:50, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Seeing as you'll have 2 gigs of RAM, your swap partition is likely to grow
> cob webs, so where you put it probably isn't that critical.
>
> What I usually do is say take 4 120 Gig drives, allocate 1 gig on each for
> swap, so you have 4 gigs swap (your swap should be larger than available
> memory in Linux for performance reasons) and the rest of the drives split
> so that say, the first 5 or so gigs of each is used to house most of the
> OS, and the rest for another RAID array hosting the database.  Since the
> root partition can't be on RAID5, you'd have to set up either a single
> drive or a mirror set to handle that.

Setting swap in linux is a tricky proposition. If there is no swap at all,
linux has behaved crazily in past. These days situation is much better.

In my experience with single IDE disk, if swap usage goes above 20-30MB due to
shortage of memory, machine is dead in waters. Linux sometimes does memory
inversion where swap used is half the free memory but swap is not freed but
that does not hurt really..

So my advice is, setting swap more tahn 128MB is waste of disk space. OK 256
in ultra-extreme situations.. but more than that would a be unadvisable
situation..

 Shridhar

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Saturday 03 May 2003 13:27, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2003 16:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > More disks is almost always better.  Putting WAL on a seperate (non-RAID)
> > disk is usually a very good idea.
>
> From a performance POV perhaps.  The subject came up on hackers recently
> and it was pointed out that if you use RAID for reliability and redundancy
> rather than for performance, you need to keep the WAL files on the RAID
> too.

but for performance reason, that RAID can be separate from the data RAID..:-)

 Shridhar

--
"Gee, Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:53, Chad Thompson wrote:
> I have a server on a standard pc right now.
> PIII 700, 1Gig ram (SD), 40 Gig IDE, RedHat 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.1
>
> The database has 3 tables that just broke 10 million tuples (yeah, i think
> im entering in to the world of real databases ;-)
> Its primarly bulk (copy) inserts and queries, rarely an update.
>
> I am looking at moving this to a P4 2.4G, 2 Gig Ram(DDR), RedHat 8,
> PostgreSQL 7.3.latest
[snip]

How big do you expect the database to get?

If I may be a contrarian, if under 70GB, then why not just get a 72GB
10K RPM SCSI drive ($160) and a SCSI 160 card?  OS, swap, input files,
etc, can go on a 7200RPM IDE drive.

Much fewer moving parts than RAID, so more reliable...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 3 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:53, Chad Thompson wrote:
> > I have a server on a standard pc right now.
> > PIII 700, 1Gig ram (SD), 40 Gig IDE, RedHat 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> >
> > The database has 3 tables that just broke 10 million tuples (yeah, i think
> > im entering in to the world of real databases ;-)
> > Its primarly bulk (copy) inserts and queries, rarely an update.
> >
> > I am looking at moving this to a P4 2.4G, 2 Gig Ram(DDR), RedHat 8,
> > PostgreSQL 7.3.latest
> [snip]
>
> How big do you expect the database to get?
>
> If I may be a contrarian, if under 70GB, then why not just get a 72GB
> 10K RPM SCSI drive ($160) and a SCSI 160 card?  OS, swap, input files,
> etc, can go on a 7200RPM IDE drive.
>
> Much fewer moving parts than RAID, so more reliable...

Sorry, everything else is true, but RAID is far more reliable, even if
disk failure is more likely.  Since a RAID array (1 or 5) can run with one
dead disk, and supports auto-rebuild from hot spares, there's really no
way a single disk can be more reliable.  It may have fewer failures, but
that's not the same thing.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Sat, 3 May 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On Saturday 03 May 2003 02:50, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > Seeing as you'll have 2 gigs of RAM, your swap partition is likely to grow
> > cob webs, so where you put it probably isn't that critical.
> >
> > What I usually do is say take 4 120 Gig drives, allocate 1 gig on each for
> > swap, so you have 4 gigs swap (your swap should be larger than available
> > memory in Linux for performance reasons) and the rest of the drives split
> > so that say, the first 5 or so gigs of each is used to house most of the
> > OS, and the rest for another RAID array hosting the database.  Since the
> > root partition can't be on RAID5, you'd have to set up either a single
> > drive or a mirror set to handle that.
>
> Setting swap in linux is a tricky proposition. If there is no swap at all,
> linux has behaved crazily in past. These days situation is much better.
>
> In my experience with single IDE disk, if swap usage goes above 20-30MB due to
> shortage of memory, machine is dead in waters. Linux sometimes does memory
> inversion where swap used is half the free memory but swap is not freed but
> that does not hurt really..
>
> So my advice is, setting swap more tahn 128MB is waste of disk space. OK 256
> in ultra-extreme situations.. but more than that would a be unadvisable
> situation..

Whereas disks are ALL over 20 gigs now, and
whereas the linux kernel will begin killing processes when it runs out of
mem and swap, and
whereas the linux kernel STILL has issues using swap when it's smaller
than memory (those problems have been lessened, but not eliminated), and
whereas the linux kernel will parallelize access to its swap partitions
when it has more than one and they are at the same priority, providing
better swap performance, and
whereas REAL servers always use more memory than you'd ever thought they
would,

be it declared here and now by me that using a small swap file is
penny-wise and pound foolish.

:-)

Seriously, though, having once had a REAL bad experience on a production
server that I was trying to increase swap on (yes, some idiot set it up
with some tiny little 64 Meg swap file (yes, that idiot was me...)) I now
just give every server a few gigs of swap from its three or four 40+ gig
drives.  With 4 drives, and each one donating 256 Meg to the cause you can
have a gig of swap space.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 11:31, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 3 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:53, Chad Thompson wrote:
> > > I have a server on a standard pc right now.
> > > PIII 700, 1Gig ram (SD), 40 Gig IDE, RedHat 8.0, PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> > >
> > > The database has 3 tables that just broke 10 million tuples (yeah, i think
> > > im entering in to the world of real databases ;-)
> > > Its primarly bulk (copy) inserts and queries, rarely an update.
> > >
> > > I am looking at moving this to a P4 2.4G, 2 Gig Ram(DDR), RedHat 8,
> > > PostgreSQL 7.3.latest
> > [snip]
> >
> > How big do you expect the database to get?
> >
> > If I may be a contrarian, if under 70GB, then why not just get a 72GB
> > 10K RPM SCSI drive ($160) and a SCSI 160 card?  OS, swap, input files,
> > etc, can go on a 7200RPM IDE drive.
> >
> > Much fewer moving parts than RAID, so more reliable...
>
> Sorry, everything else is true, but RAID is far more reliable, even if
> disk failure is more likely.  Since a RAID array (1 or 5) can run with one
> dead disk, and supports auto-rebuild from hot spares, there's really no
> way a single disk can be more reliable.  It may have fewer failures, but
> that's not the same thing.

What controller do you use for IDE hot-swapping and auto-rebuild?
3Ware?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 5 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 11:31, scott.marlowe wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > How big do you expect the database to get?
> > >
> > > If I may be a contrarian, if under 70GB, then why not just get a 72GB
> > > 10K RPM SCSI drive ($160) and a SCSI 160 card?  OS, swap, input files,
> > > etc, can go on a 7200RPM IDE drive.
> > >
> > > Much fewer moving parts than RAID, so more reliable...
> >
> > Sorry, everything else is true, but RAID is far more reliable, even if
> > disk failure is more likely.  Since a RAID array (1 or 5) can run with one
> > dead disk, and supports auto-rebuild from hot spares, there's really no
> > way a single disk can be more reliable.  It may have fewer failures, but
> > that's not the same thing.
>
> What controller do you use for IDE hot-swapping and auto-rebuild?
> 3Ware?

Linux, and I don't do hot swapping with IDE, just hot rebuild from a
spare drive.  My servers are running SCSI, by the way, only the
workstations are running IDE.  With the saved cost of a decent RAID
controller (good SCSI controllers are still well over $500 most the time)
I can afford enough hot spares to never have to worry about changing one
out during the day.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 17:22, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 5 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

[snip]
> > What controller do you use for IDE hot-swapping and auto-rebuild?
> > 3Ware?
>
> Linux, and I don't do hot swapping with IDE, just hot rebuild from a
> spare drive.  My servers are running SCSI, by the way, only the
> workstations are running IDE.  With the saved cost of a decent RAID
> controller (good SCSI controllers are still well over $500 most the time)
> I can afford enough hot spares to never have to worry about changing one
> out during the day.

Ah, I guess that drives go out infrequently enough that shutting
it down at night for a swap-out isn't all that onerous...

What controller model do you use?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 6 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 17:22, scott.marlowe wrote:

> [snip]
> > > What controller do you use for IDE hot-swapping and auto-rebuild?
> > > 3Ware?
> >
> > Linux, and I don't do hot swapping with IDE, just hot rebuild from a
> > spare drive.  My servers are running SCSI, by the way, only the
> > workstations are running IDE.  With the saved cost of a decent RAID
> > controller (good SCSI controllers are still well over $500 most the time)
> > I can afford enough hot spares to never have to worry about changing one
> > out during the day.
>
> Ah, I guess that drives go out infrequently enough that shutting
> it down at night for a swap-out isn't all that onerous...
>
> What controller model do you use?

My preference is SymBIOS (LSI now) plain UW SCSI 160, but at work we use
adaptec built in UW SCSI 160 on INTEL dual CPU motherboards.  I've used
RAID controllers in the past, but now I genuinely prefer linux's built in
kernel level raid to most controllers, and the load on the server is <2%
of one of the two CPUs, so it doesn't really slow anything else down.  The
performance is quite good, I can read raw at about 48 Megs a second from a
pair of 10kRPM UWSCSI drives in a RAID1.  These drives, individually can
pump out about 25 megs a second individually.

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 13:12, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 6 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Linux, and I don't do hot swapping with IDE, just hot rebuild from a
> > > spare drive.  My servers are running SCSI, by the way, only the
> > > workstations are running IDE.  With the saved cost of a decent RAID
> > > controller (good SCSI controllers are still well over $500 most the time)
> > > I can afford enough hot spares to never have to worry about changing one
> > > out during the day.
> >
> > Ah, I guess that drives go out infrequently enough that shutting
> > it down at night for a swap-out isn't all that onerous...
> >
> > What controller model do you use?
>
> My preference is SymBIOS (LSI now) plain UW SCSI 160, but at work we use
> adaptec built in UW SCSI 160 on INTEL dual CPU motherboards.  I've used
> RAID controllers in the past, but now I genuinely prefer linux's built in
> kernel level raid to most controllers, and the load on the server is <2%
> of one of the two CPUs, so it doesn't really slow anything else down.  The
> performance is quite good, I can read raw at about 48 Megs a second from a
> pair of 10kRPM UWSCSI drives in a RAID1.  These drives, individually can
> pump out about 25 megs a second individually.

Hmm, I'm confused (again)...

I thought you liked IDE RAID, because of the price savings.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |

Re: Looking for a cheap upgrade (RAID)

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On 6 May 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 13:12, scott.marlowe wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > Ah, I guess that drives go out infrequently enough that shutting
> > > it down at night for a swap-out isn't all that onerous...
> > >
> > > What controller model do you use?
> >
> > My preference is SymBIOS (LSI now) plain UW SCSI 160, but at work we use
> > adaptec built in UW SCSI 160 on INTEL dual CPU motherboards.  I've used
> > RAID controllers in the past, but now I genuinely prefer linux's built in
> > kernel level raid to most controllers, and the load on the server is <2%
> > of one of the two CPUs, so it doesn't really slow anything else down.  The
> > performance is quite good, I can read raw at about 48 Megs a second from a
> > pair of 10kRPM UWSCSI drives in a RAID1.  These drives, individually can
> > pump out about 25 megs a second individually.
>
> Hmm, I'm confused (again)...
>
> I thought you liked IDE RAID, because of the price savings.

No, I was saying that software RAID is what I like.  IDE or SCSI.  I just
use SCSI because it's on a server that happens to have come with some nice
UW SCSI Drives.  The discussion about the IDE RAID was about what
someone else was using.  I was just defending the use of it, as it is
still a great value for RAID arrays, and let's face it, the slowest IDE
RAID you can build with new parts is probably still faster than the
fastest SCSI RAID arrays from less than a decade ago.  Now with Serial ATA
coming out, I expect a lot more servers to use it, and it looks like the
drives made for serial ATA will come in server class versions (tested for
longer life, greater heat resistance, etc...)

On my little 2xPPro200 I have 6 2 gig UltraWide 80 MB/sec SCSI drives, and
2 80 gig DMA-33 drives, and the two 80 gig DMA-33 drives literally stomp
the 6 2 gigs into the ground, no matter how I configure it, except at
heavy parallel access (i.e. pgbench -c 20 -t 1000) where the extra
spindle/head count makes a big difference.  And even then, the SCSIs are
only a tiny bit faster, say 10% or so.