Обсуждение: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
Forgive me if this is a misplaced post.

I've been requested to get an Oracle 11g db to be able to select from a
postgresql 9.4 db and I've never gone here before.  I was reading from here:
https://dbaspot.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/how-to-access-postgresql-from-oracle-database/
and it says to install odbc rpm on the oracle server:  # yum install
postgresql91-odbc  on the oracle server.

The one available is older:
 > yum info postgresql-odbc.x86_64
Loaded plugins: priorities, ulninfo
Available Packages
Name        : postgresql-odbc
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 08.04.0200
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 267 k
Repo        : ol6_latest
Summary     : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
URL         : http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : This package includes the driver needed for applications
to access a
             : PostgreSQL system via ODBC (Open Database Connectivity).

Is this ok to use with postgresql 9x?  If not do I need to install
postgresql server components in order to build psqlodbc-09.05.0100?

Is there a better, detailed howto on this topic?

Re: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/18/2016 05:56 AM, Ray Stell wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a misplaced post.
>
> I've been requested to get an Oracle 11g db to be able to select from a
> postgresql 9.4 db and I've never gone here before.  I was reading from
> here:
> https://dbaspot.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/how-to-access-postgresql-from-oracle-database/
>
> and it says to install odbc rpm on the oracle server:  # yum install
> postgresql91-odbc  on the oracle server.
>
> The one available is older:
>  > yum info postgresql-odbc.x86_64
> Loaded plugins: priorities, ulninfo
> Available Packages
> Name        : postgresql-odbc
> Arch        : x86_64
> Version     : 08.04.0200
> Release     : 1.el6
> Size        : 267 k
> Repo        : ol6_latest
> Summary     : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
> URL         : http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/
> License     : LGPLv2+
> Description : This package includes the driver needed for applications
> to access a
>              : PostgreSQL system via ODBC (Open Database Connectivity).

I am going to guess you are using Oracle Linux 6, is that correct?

If not what distribution are you using?

Where did you install Postgres from?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 2/18/16 11:48 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 05:56 AM, Ray Stell wrote:
>> Forgive me if this is a misplaced post.
>>
>> I've been requested to get an Oracle 11g db to be able to select from a
>> postgresql 9.4 db and I've never gone here before.  I was reading from
>> here:
>> https://dbaspot.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/how-to-access-postgresql-from-oracle-database/
>>

>> and it says to install odbc rpm on the oracle server:  # yum install
>> postgresql91-odbc  on the oracle server.
>>
>> The one available is older:
>>  > yum info postgresql-odbc.x86_64
>> Loaded plugins: priorities, ulninfo
>> Available Packages
>> Name        : postgresql-odbc
>> Arch        : x86_64
>> Version     : 08.04.0200
>> Release     : 1.el6
>> Size        : 267 k
>> Repo        : ol6_latest
>> Summary     : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
>> URL         : http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/
>> License     : LGPLv2+
>> Description : This package includes the driver needed for applications
>> to access a
>>              : PostgreSQL system via ODBC (Open Database Connectivity).
>
> I am going to guess you are using Oracle Linux 6, is that correct?

 > cat /etc/oracle-release
Oracle Linux Server release 6.7

> If not what distribution are you using?
>
> Where did you install Postgres from?

compiled from src, 9.4.4, but will patch to 9.4.6 shortly.

The pg server lives on:
 > cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.7 (Final)

Thanks for any help on this.
Ray

>> Is this ok to use with postgresql 9x?  If not do I need to install
>> postgresql server components in order to build psqlodbc-09.05.0100?
>>
>> Is there a better, detailed howto on this topic?

Re: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/18/2016 09:02 AM, Ray Stell wrote:

> On 2/18/16 11:48 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 02/18/2016 05:56 AM, Ray Stell wrote:
>>> Forgive me if this is a misplaced post.
>>>
>>> I've been requested to get an Oracle 11g db to be able to select from a
>>> postgresql 9.4 db and I've never gone here before.  I was reading from
>>> here:
>>> https://dbaspot.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/how-to-access-postgresql-from-oracle-database/
>>>

>>> and it says to install odbc rpm on the oracle server:  # yum install
>>> postgresql91-odbc  on the oracle server.
>>>
>>> The one available is older:
>>>  > yum info postgresql-odbc.x86_64
>>> Loaded plugins: priorities, ulninfo
>>> Available Packages
>>> Name        : postgresql-odbc
>>> Arch        : x86_64
>>> Version     : 08.04.0200
>>> Release     : 1.el6
>>> Size        : 267 k
>>> Repo        : ol6_latest
>>> Summary     : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
>>> URL         : http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/
>>> License     : LGPLv2+
>>> Description : This package includes the driver needed for applications
>>> to access a
>>>              : PostgreSQL system via ODBC (Open Database Connectivity).
>>
>> I am going to guess you are using Oracle Linux 6, is that correct?
>
>  > cat /etc/oracle-release
> Oracle Linux Server release 6.7

So from here:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

8.04 is probably the default for this version.

You could follow the instructions at the above link and use the PGDG yum
repo for Oracle 6. That would get you access to newer versions.

>> If not what distribution are you using?
>>
>> Where did you install Postgres from?
>
> compiled from src, 9.4.4, but will patch to 9.4.6 shortly.
>
> The pg server lives on:
>  > cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
>

> Thanks for any help on this.
> Ray
>>

>>> Is this ok to use with postgresql 9x?  If not do I need to install
>>> postgresql server components in order to build psqlodbc-09.05.0100?
>>>
>>> Is there a better, detailed howto on this topic?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Ray Stell

8.04 is probably the default for this version.

You could follow the instructions at the above link and use the PGDG yum repo for Oracle 6. That would get you access to newer versions.

Thank you.

It's not clear to me what postgresql software needs to be on the oracle server host.

Will the postgresql-odbc need other postgresql server components to function?

I don't see a postgresql-odbc listed on the yum repository you ref, is it inside Oracle_Enterprise_Linux_6-x86_64?

Re: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/18/2016 10:25 AM, Ray Stell wrote:

> On 2/18/16 12:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> So from here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
>>
>> 8.04 is probably the default for this version.
>>
>> You could follow the instructions at the above link and use the PGDG
>> yum repo for Oracle 6. That would get you access to newer versions.
>>
> Thank you.
>
> It's not clear to me what postgresql software needs to be on the oracle
> server host.
>
> Will the postgresql-odbc need other postgresql server components to
> function?

Not sure myself, but if you enable the repo and try to install the -odbc
component it will tell you.

> I don't see a postgresql-odbc listed on the yum repository you ref, is
> it inside Oracle_Enterprise_Linux_6-x86_64?

http://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.4/redhat/rhel-6.7-x86_64/

The other option is to go here:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/

and build from source.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: newbie tries to get oracle db to select from postgresql

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On 2/18/16 2:13 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 10:25 AM, Ray Stell wrote:
>>
>> On 2/18/16 12:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>> So from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
>>>
>>> 8.04 is probably the default for this version.
>>>
>>> You could follow the instructions at the above link and use the PGDG
>>> yum repo for Oracle 6. That would get you access to newer versions.
>>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> It's not clear to me what postgresql software needs to be on the oracle
>> server host.
>>
>> Will the postgresql-odbc need other postgresql server components to
>> function?
>

> Not sure myself, but if you enable the repo and try to install the
> -odbc component it will tell you.

working on that.  I don't have root on these hosts, ugh.  Gotta love an
auditor...

>> I don't see a postgresql-odbc listed on the yum repository you ref, is
>> it inside Oracle_Enterprise_Linux_6-x86_64?
>
> http://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.4/redhat/rhel-6.7-x86_64/
>
> The other option is to go here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/
>
> and build from source.
yep, trying to do that, too.

Thanks for the bread crumbs.  I'll keep following these paths.